Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I want to apologize for the rukus caused by my clashing posts and upsetting some on this board, especially to philnic and The Lake. I do ask them do please return. If you think I'm getting too pompous for this board, just give me that head butt.

Here, perhaps it takes a 12 yr. old prodigy to say it best.
http://tinyurl.com/yxewot

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Knox, per your link. It's difficult to believe if that is all real. If it is, we certainly should be hearing more of her.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a news clip. Amazing!

I'm sure 'philnic' and 'The Lake' will be back.
Let's trust sooner than later.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snowing here, right now!

This is what happens with the flash on, cool huh? Kinda looks like stars...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Imagesnowflakes_002.jpg (61 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you ever have a friend, who you know means well when they ask you if you are having a good day.. but instead of sounding concerned and interested in your affairs its more like "so what, are you pissed off today, or what?" "are you happy today, or are you bitchy again?" and you know they probably genuinely care.... but it still makes you want to punch them in the face?

....don't know where I was going with that one. sorry.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, never happens to me.

The other day my feelers were kinda hurt cause a friend said, "You've been giving me really crappy Hi's lately." , so perhaps I'm the other person in what you're relating. I made up for the crappy Hi's by hugging and not being the first to let go.

================================================

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I already knew, but was reminded to be constantly aware of after the Carnegie book, is that we all thrive when appreciated.

(cyber hug)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spouse#1 and I got into the Amway thingy and had to read it then. I remember the whole "using people's names when addressing them" schpeil. Covey's "7 HABITS" is another good one, though requires a more aggressive approach than what I was comfortable with. Peale's THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING is another one which has withstood the test of time, and my personal favorite.

WavyGravy, have some junkfood. A few weeks ago Spouse and I had a bad one and on my way to work I bought four dollars worth of chocolate bars and devoured it all while driving. I felt much better, and more alert.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grassy, I like the Peale book a lot. I enjoyed the Carnegie book and agree with most of what he suggests, but, Grasstains, don't you, Grasstains, find it annoying, Grasstains, when salespeople, whom you've never met before, Grasstains, and, Grasstains, whom you know are trying to sell you, Grasstains, something, keep saying your name, Grasstains, as if you're an old pal, Grasstains?
Wavy Gravy?!
Love it! I remember him!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the magical mystery Bus?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peale and Carnegie and then there is always Og:
http://www.ogmandino.com/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451:
Nice to hear Og Mandino mentioned. Met him at the Combined Insurance Company in Chicago way back when he was just starting a magazine called 'Success Unlimited'. I remember showing up for the interview wearing my dad's long World War II army rain coat. But my resume was intriguing enough and he obviously disregarded my rainwear and offfered me a job with the company. Combined Insurance was the brain-child of W. Clement Stone, one of those self made billionaires. I had a good job at the time with a good sized trade magazine publisher, and so I turned down Og Mandino's offer . Years afterwards, I often wondered if I should have taken the job. It was only a mile from where I lived versus taking the train downtown. Back in 1992 thereabouts, W. Clement Stone actually did a seminar up in Anaheim, where I was working at the time, which I missed because I learned about it the following day after it had finished. Can you believe it? He was something like 90 yrs. old at the time. I think he was about 100 yrs. old when he died. Og Mandino, on the other hand, died much younger quite a few years ago, around 1996. I ran into him only one time, at some convention in Chicago . It's just one more adventure in my many listings of jobs worked at and almost worked at...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there is always Og Oggilby...

ImageGradySutton1.jpg (7 Kb, 4 downloads)

posted Hide Post
...and Odd Ogg...

Imageodd_ogg1.gif (29 Kb, 4 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Nard, now that is proof that somewhere in the next six contacts, or mention, of a person, there has been some shared personal exchange experienced! I have read just about everything Mr. Mandino wrote. Great inspirational reading. I never hesitate to share his writings with others who are so inclined, or not so, also! Interesting anecdote.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post