Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ruled paper, eh? I think I'll write the other way.

This forum is made up of a fine group of folks, I'll tell you what!

In the short time I have been here posting away, I have befriended many a fine soul and have been given many valuable things.

Public thanks (testimony):

Thanks Jeff, for hooking me up to your production company and getting involved with the Dandelion Wine screenplay.

Thanks Phil, for sending me the Russian D Wine and agreeing to interview Ray Harryhausen for me. You are my connection in The Old Country!

Thanks Michael, for the charming phone calls and the personal photos of you and RB.

Thanks Frank, for the ink drawings - beautiful! And the button RB gave you - a treasure.

And, my old friend Mr Kordell, just received the package today - thanks! When I asked you if you could do business cards, I meant I'd pay for them. You are too kind.

And to anyone I've forgotten, thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, if your theology schooling did not teach you sound scripture, you wasted your money and time.

patrask, the bookyou mentioned about Jesus is written by someone who dismisses scripture. In the first few sentences, scripture states that Jesus, known as the Word, always was, and there was no time when he wasn't, and that he was not only equal to God but was God. Now your author that wrote that book you referred to either didn't know that, or he knew about that but decided to dismiss it as a lie.

Doug Spaulding, I don't believe a moment about your shirt excuse for Bradbury's wardrobe. Is that supposed to humorous? So what is it? Bradbury doesn't much care what he looks like in public? Or else, why would he look like he's so unkempt?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unkempt? Bradbury is not only a literary but also a visual adventure. What fun!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Doug Spaulding, if your theology schooling did not teach you sound scripture, you wasted your money and time.

It was (and is) an Anglican College. It taught "sound" theology - I just chose to write the other way!

I graduated Summa Cum Laude, by the way, and was even asked by the dean to write an exam for one of the courses (on Judaism, I think it was), so I'm not stupid. Appearances can be deceiving!

quote:
Doug Spaulding, I don't believe a moment about your shirt excuse for Bradbury's wardrobe. Is that supposed to humorous?

Most of my posts are supposed to be humorous - except the ones about Jesus. The Word of God I take very seriously!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
It's a really interesting look at the founding of the Christian Religion (s) and it kept me fascinated throughout the reading.

Yeah, they'll do that. Aren't they interesting? I love to know the things that they don't want me to know.

Whenever I read about a faction in history trying to destroy or hide a sacred truth, the first thing I want to know is why? What was their motivation?

The second is what the text contained.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phil Knox:

patrask, the bookyou mentioned about Jesus is written by someone who dismisses scripture. In the first few sentences, scripture states that Jesus, known as the Word, always was, and there was no time when he wasn't, and that he was not only equal to God but was God. Now your author that wrote that book you referred to either didn't know that, or he knew about that but decided to dismiss it as a lie.

Want a copy? It is very interesting reading about how the present Scriptural Jesus actually came to be, as canon was decided by men, who differed considerably about whether Jesus was, as you stated, God or just a man. That debate continues, and that is why there are two Churches, a Western and an Eastern one, that do not share the same canon. If the power of the Roman State had not won that day, what would you be thinking today about Jesus?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not quite want to go there, but I can easily remove myself from all the so-called theory and hit the real road of experience.
There is a quintessential experience that happens in everyone that accepts Christ as Saviour and it is universally unique. Few are able to be put it into words. Many unbelievers just tire from listening to a believer's overactive excitement. It is certainly intuitively communicated. As well in acts of patience and works of mercy that only spring from a life style of that revelation. By the experience of genuine freedom one is captivated with that understanding that someone else's (Christ's) freedom is what is freely given to the believer.
You miss all that, and you're back to listening to the ten thousand voices out there with their mixed bag of goodies.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, Thou knowest whereof thou speakest!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
What C.S. Lewis have you read?

The Screwtape Letters
Mere Christianity
Surprised by Joy
Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

There may be others - I disremember.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I also highly recommend Spong. This bishop is a voice of sanity in a sea of fundamentalism.

Among his work:

"Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism: A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture"

"Resurrection: Myth or Reality? A Bishop’s Search of the Origin’s of Christianity"

"Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes"

"Why Christianity Must Change or Die: A Bishop Speaks to Believers in Exile"

Fine reading - why not pick one up today!?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Thou art God"

Michael Valentine Smith

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ricky Nelson sang about Bishop Spong years ago:

"Poor little fool, oh Yeah, I was a fool, Oh Yeah!"

These guys have absolutely not a clue what it means to be in Christ or what it means to be crucified with Christ. They are fully determined that Christ comes second, and they come first.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I think these guys know better, which is very sad.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas again to all. I hope everyone gave and received some cool gifts this year. My wife blew my mind with a new record player. We have clearance lps at my work and with my discount, it costs me twelve cents a piece. I have amassed quite a collection of them, mostly early sixties and seventies easy listening. About a month ago I bought an old Grundig hi-fi from a thrift store for $18.00 but of course the record player did not work. So, I couldn't play them and I have been dying to hear some "Cracklin Rosie" if you know what I mean, until now that is. The new unit is an Emerson and it plays cds, lps, and even cassettes. I put it on top of my big hi-fi. The first album I played was Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream & Other Delights, it was totally awesome!!! I realized that the first song, A Taste Of Honey, was the song that the band always played at the circus every year when there used to really be a live band playing there when I was a kid. Next up, Colonel Sander's Christmas Album from 1967 with him on the front cover asleep (although he looks dead), I'm sorry but it is funny. Scratch that, it was too messed up to play, I put on Frank Sinatra, Nice and Easy. It is so weird playing real records again, so archaic and wonderful! My wife smoked me this year, I gave her some dvd's and a few gift certificates and a calendar.Frowner What did you give/receive from Santa?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, my wife and I are on the job--our Christmas won't be until 11pm on the 28th, when we get home from work. The kids are annoyed, but they're used to it.

Greg, snag a copy of Diamond's "Hot August Night," you'd love it.

Here's wishing everyone gets a copy of "Farewell Summer," and that your heartfelt Christmas wishes come true.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post