Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
embroiderer, you got that right!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Now, if you miss that, you miss it ALL. Christ lives in the Christian. Not an idea. Not an ideal. Not a concept.

Well said.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If it wasn't for God stepping in, I would have simply caved in and did my thing and likely demand you accept my lifestyle in your face,."

Nonsense. Proposition 8 was simply about gay people asking for the same legal rights as straight people. The United States is not a theocracy. If you wish to write your religious beliefs into the law of the land, why aren't you taking away rights from people who commit adultery or who divorce?

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People, people. Please keep your religous discussion to the Religion thread. And your political discussion to the Politics thread.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thus speaks the voice of reason. I second that.

- tink

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
octobercountry, you raise a good point about adultery and and divorce. Unfortunately, it's about between man and woman.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't this issue of adulterers and divorced people a non-issue? Adulters and divorced people aren't married and don't have the same relationship rights that married people have. Nor, to my knowledge, are they seeking to force a majority to grant these rights to them.

Besides, the argument of Prop 8 was the desire of the majority to retain a definition of marriage that is at least 6,000 years old. Gays weren't pushing Prop 8, they were opposing it. So when we look at the intent of Prop 8 we have to look at what it was intending to accomplish.

Why don't gays seeking this right, work to get a legitimate amendment passed to the state constitution to permit this marriage? Perhaps because they could not get a majority to support it?

While it is possible to have a tyranny of the majority, it is also possible to have a tyranny of the minority.

As far as the topic of this thread goes, it is called "A Miscellany of Topics," so it seems that the subject matter is pretty free-flowing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
People, people. Please keep your religous discussion to the Religion thread. And your political discussion to the Politics thread.

That's what I like to see - a mad Englishman!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
rocket, I didn't catch the Mission Impossible theme in the video music. It's to doo, to do to do to do, to doo, to do to do do to doo!

300 Miles per Gallon? You gotta be kidding!
L(not my f-ing ass off)OL!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
The F in this case stands for the very good and misaligned word "fucking", one of my favorite words in the English language...

"Sci-fi, that most hideous neologism that sounds like crickets fucking."

- Harlan Ellison

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I think we're going to get in trouble Doug, quick lets take turns writing "wow" on both threads until our dark humor is somewhat buffered by a few pages between f-words. lmfao, oh well I never did have much of an ass to speak of.....

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your turn. lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Your turn. lol

Hey - Harlan said it, not me!

Surely the folks can't object to Harlan!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! I think we're going to get in trouble Doug...

So what else is new?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Isn't this issue of adulterers and divorced people a non-issue? Adulters and divorced people aren't married and don't have the same relationship rights that married people have. Nor, to my knowledge, are they seeking to force a majority to grant these rights to them.

Besides, the argument of Prop 8 was the desire of the majority to retain a definition of marriage that is at least 6,000 years old. Gays weren't pushing Prop 8, they were opposing it. So when we look at the intent of Prop 8 we have to look at what it was intending to accomplish.

Why don't gays seeking this right, work to get a legitimate amendment passed to the state constitution to permit this marriage? Perhaps because they could not get a majority to support it?

While it is possible to have a tyranny of the majority, it is also possible to have a tyranny of the minority.

As far as the topic of this thread goes, it is called "A Miscellany of Topics," so it seems that the subject matter is pretty free-flowing.

Mr. Dark, dear friend, you have hit it on the head. The reason we have Supreme Courts is to prevent the Tyranny of the Majority from imposing their will, incorrectly, on the minority. If not for this provision of the Constitution, we would still have separate but equal schools and any number of other social injustices that the majority would have been in favor of. Some times it just takes a while for the majority to realize that they were wrong and in the interm injustices are prevented from harming those in the minority.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post