Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I see that it was in Orlando, only a brief three and half hour drive from here...

biplane1, where I come from, a three-and-a-half-hour drive would get you halfway across the country...longways...

I should have thought to have contacted you before I set off for Florida, but it was all a bit hectic. Next time, I will.

Anyway, Florida is a fun place to be. I even managed to get in a visit to Seaworld. (Altogether now: Shamu! Shamu!) I did all the important space coast stuff on a previous visit about ten years ago, so I thought I'd fill my small amount of downtime with frivolity.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...where I come from, a three-and-a-half-hour drive would get you halfway across the country...longways...

I should have thought to have contacted you before I set off for Florida, but it was all a bit hectic. Next time, I will.

Phil: As you leaned, last summer, in Los Angeles a 3.5 hour drive gets you half-way across town. Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...in Los Angeles a 3.5 hour drive gets you half-way across town...

You're not funning. I checked it once - it takes about six hours to drive compleatly around the city!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Film critic Roger Ebert makes interesting read. Here is his blog for March 28th, '09.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/eber...e_on_a_key_ring.html

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forty-one years ago, this week, 2001:Space Odyssey was released in theaters. Mr. Kubrick’s and Mr. Clarke’s work still hold up.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JKT: interesting historical tidbit. Because of a wealthy friend (these days is it okay to admit I had some healthy friends, or all they all demonic?), and he got me in to Hollywood for a premiere of the movie. It was on a curved screen, and we were on a front row/center of a balcony. I have to say, that film in that setting, totally blew me away. It was unreal.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...It was on a curved screen, and we were on a front row/center of a balcony...

That would have been at the Cinerama Dome...which is where I saw it.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Last couple days It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World has been on AMC Cable. I believe it was originally shot in Cinerama format. It would likely take two plasma widescreens side by side to take in one CINERAMA SCREEN. (aspect ratio likely 3:1 or more)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama
http://www.seeing-stars.com/Th...s/CineramaDome.shtml

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had, in the Santa Clara valley, 2 vast screens; the Century 21, which, I believe, is still there, and the Cinema 150 (150 degree arc of screen!) which has gone.
I saw "2001" when it came out at the Century 21, and I think it was one of the first films shown there. Huge screen, surround sound... amazing.
I'm still in awe of Kubrick's brilliant work.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Last couple days It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World has been on AMC Cable. I believe it was originally shot in Cinerama format.

This was my favourite film as a kid and I looked forward to ABC's yearly showing of it (usually in the Spring, I believe). I still love it. Stanley Kramer's original cut ran over five hours!

It was actually shot in 70 mm (2.55:1 aspect ratio) using the Ultra Panavision process and projected onto a Cinerama screen.

Check out this great Jonathan Winters figure from the film. It's in my friend Danny Roebuck's garage (converted into a marvellous Universal Monsters Museum). I first saw it when I interviewed him for my 4E documentary (now at the beginning of the editing stage).

He told me "this is what you can do if you have a little money and you don't do drugs!"

In fact, have a real look.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I just love "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" also! I never get tired of it; usually watch it about once a year.

I'm still waiting for a restored version of this to end up on DVD; I know that TCM regularly shows a longer cut of the film than is available on the current DVD. Still, this longer version is about twenty minutes shorter than the original roadshow edit, I believe (though about twenty minutes longer than the edited version). I'm afraid that a lot of the original elements no longer exist, however, and it may be impossible to restore the film to its original length... (I'm not sure what the original aspect ratio of this film is; according to IMDB the negative is at 2.76:1. I believe TCM does show the film in its full width, at any rate...)

Living in the middle of nowhere, I simply don't have the opportunity to view first-rate presentations of older films. Only went to one in my life, at a theatre in DC (can't remember the name now, but it was an older movie house with the huge curved screen, etc.) A friend and I went to see a newly-restored 70 mm print of "My Fair Lady"---and man, was the result impressive; simply gorgeous.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MAD!! With the THREE STOOGES cameo as Firemen! Look quick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCb41nelD8

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Whither Spaulding?

Right here!

Went to the Cherry Blossom Festival Parade this morning with a friend - nice town.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
MAD!! With the THREE STOOGES cameo as Firemen! Look quick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCb41nelD8

Actually, if memory serves, the Stooges appear as firemen at an airport where Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hackett, and an unconscious Jum Backus are 'landing' a plane.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jum is a good word.

"Live Forever!"