Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The words philnic quotes are part of the never filmed screen finale Ray Bradbury wrote for MGM. It is included as "King Of Kings A Screen Finale" in Bradbury's A Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Linnl - I don't have that chapbook, and had forgotten that there is some KING OF KINGS material in there.

As I understand it, Ray was contracted to write narration only, but took it upon himself to also write some new scenes. His whole script of narration, scene directions and dialogue runs to about 12 pages. The film's producers weren't at all interested in re-shooting, so just took some of Ray's narration.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, philnic.

quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
As I understand it, Ray was contracted to write narration only, but took it upon himself to also write some new scenes. His whole script of narration, scene directions and dialogue runs to about 12 pages. The film's producers weren't at all interested in re-shooting, so just took some of Ray's narration.

Would certainly like to see this presented in future volumes of THE NEW RAY BRADBURY REVIEW. I recall at one point there was to be a volume with the theme of Ray Bradbury and Religion.

By the way A Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers lacked a contents page, so here are its contents:

Page 7 Preface

Page 11 They Have Not Seen The Stars poem

Page 15 Shaw! from "GBS Mark V"

Page 17 We Are The Reliquaries Of Lost Time poem

Page 21 Of What Is Past, Or Passing, Or To Come poem

Page 23 The First Book Of Dichotomy, The Second Book Of Symbiosis poem

Page 29 If Only We Had Taller Been poem

Page 33 Leviathan '99 Act one, Scene III excerpt ~ Leviathan '99

Page 35 Come Whisper Me A Promise poem

Page 39 Thoughts On Visiting The Main Rocket Assembly Building At
Cape Canaveral For The First Time poem

Page 45 Old Ahab's Friend, And Friend To Noah, Speaks His Piece poem

Page 53 They Have Cut Off The Heads In The Paintings poem

Page 55 From Death, The Brightest Seed poem

Page 57 Of What Is Past, Or Passing Or to Come II poem

Page 59 Troy poem

Page 63 That Woman On The Lawn poem

Page 67 The Supper After The Last Supper poem

Page 71 If Man Is Dead, Then God Is Slain poem

Page 77 Eccentrics Must Truly Have Loved God,
They Made So Many Of Him poem

Page 79 Gerard Manley Hopkins poem

Page 81 Has Anyone Ever Seen Anyone Reading In The Christian
Science Reading Rooms poem

Page 85 What I Do Is Me--For That I Came
For Gerard Manley Hopkins poem

Page 89 I Carry Always the Invisible poem

Page 91 Because Of All Those Maggot Bites poem

Page 95 Chritsus Apollo A Cantata Celebrating the Eighth Day
Of Creation And The Promise Of The Ninth

Page 111 King Of Kings A Screen Finale

Page 119 Goodbye Means God Be With You short story

Page 127 Joy Is The Grace We Say To God poem

Page 129 God Blows The Whistle poem

Page 133 Go Not With Ruins In Your Mind poem

Page 137 God Is A Child; Put Toys In The Tomb poem

Page 141 God Is A Chimney Sweep poem

Page 145 We Are The Carpenters Of An Invisible Cathedral poem

Page 147 Part One: The Reasons Why We Should Go Into Space essay

Page 157 Part Two: Blueprints For Light-And-Sound At Canaveral; How To Do It essay

Page 163 Which Shall It Be?
Holiday Greetings 1998 From Maggie And Ray Bradbury poem

Page 165 I Live By The Invisible
Holiday Greetings 1999 From Maggie And Ray Bradbury poem

Page169 G. B. S. : Refurbishing The Tin Woodman; Science Fiction With A Heart,
A Brain, And The Nerve! essay

Page 181 Christ On Improbable Planets essay

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you say about someone who likes a quote well enough to have it tattooed on their skin, but gets the quote wrong?

Something went awry here all right!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you happened to be visiting the campus at UCLA make sure to nourish yourself at Café 451 after visiting the plaque at the Powell Library.

http://www.library.ucla.edu/yrl/cafe-451

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason I really like this silly sad Super Bowl shark!

posted Hide Post
In the 1944 film National Velvet, based on the 1935 book by Enid Bagnold, a story appears about a horse named Moifaa swimming from a shipwreck and being rescued from an island. This story IS in the original book, pages 205-206 of the Dover Children's Classics paperback edition and pages 173-175 of the 1985 hardcover Golden Anniversary Edition from William Morrow and Co. Donald hysterically insists the horse died on the island when in fact he was rescued and survived to win the Grand National. Big Grin

(According to this http://www.grand-national.net/moifaa.htm, Moifaa was a real horse which won the Grand National in 1904, but it was not he but another horse in the same race which was one of two horses to survive a 1901 shipwreck, not near Ireland as the book says but off the Cape of Good Hope, closer to the site of the wreck in The Black Stallion. The movie National Velvet does not give a location for the wreck.) Cool

So possibly both Enid Bagnold and Walter Farley were inspired in their books by the same true horse shipwreck survival story, but...isn't it just a BIT WEIRD and STRANGE that:
--In the book, Velvet Brown tells the story to her brother Donald, saying she heard it from Mi Taylor.
--In the movie, Mi Taylor, played by Mickey Rooney, tells the story directly to Donald.
--In the book story, some fishermen see the horse, but leave, frightened, and someone else rescues the horse. In the movie, fishermen rescue the horse.
--35 years later, Mickey Rooney appeared in the film The Black Stallion, with a plot identical to this story--a horse is shipwrecked, swims to an island, is rescued by fisherman, and goes on to win a big race--and aren't National Velvet and the Black Stallion movies the ONLY horse movies in which Mickey Rooney EVER appeared? Red Face Am I the only one EVER to notice this and find it all just a bit odd? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
In this evenings All Things Considered Neil Gaiman is interviewed about his new anthology. Ray is mentioned.

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/15/...rs-a-trigger-warning

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, great stuff!

posted Hide Post
Today wisdom fiction author Theodore Sturgeon would be 97.
http://www.theodoresturgeontrust.com/

Ray Bradbury wrote the introduction to Sturgeon's first collection Without Sorcery.

At the BBCRadio4 there are 5 days left to listen to a radio drama adaptation of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vs0f0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

posted Hide Post
My freshman year in high school I attended a private school in the D. C. area with an interesting program: we went to work on Wednesdays to learn about the "real world." Many, but not all, of the workplaces were elementary and Jr. High Schools. The one where I worked was in Falls Church, Virginia, but there were many others, that is, with about 300 in our school, if even half the workplaces were schools and ten people worked per school we could have been going to at least 15 different schools, so I can't say exactly where this took place. This would have been way towards the end of the school year.

In drama class one girl told of knowing a boy who was being made much of at school, greeted with such remarks as, "How's the movie star?" When the teacher asked in what film he appeared, she said, "Star Wars." The teacher asked what the boy did in Star Wars and the girl said it was some scene with a kid whose mom was somehow mistreating him. The teacher said there was no such scene in the film. Not only did I find there wasn't (when I finally saw it sometime later) but I read the novelization which also contained no such scene. It's also not listed here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki...s_cut_from_Star_Wars and the only scenes in the U. S. were filmed in Arizona and California, not Virginia. Perhaps the boy appeared in some other movie and the girl got the title wrong, but honestly how do you get wrong a title like Star Wars? This was the first time I ever heard it and I never forgot it!

This boy would have been attending about grades 3-5 in the D. C. area in May of 1977, in other words, he was at least four grades behind me. Brian Williams was three grades ahead of me so not him.

I am forced to conclude the boy heard some Star Wars publicity and simply invented this story for the attention, knowing he could always tell classmates his scene was cut. Since I didn't return to the school the next year I never reconnected with the girl to learn what if anything came of it...just an interesting little memory of the first time I heard of Star Wars. Incidentally when I went to see it in the theater, the line went clear down the block and around the corner, with so many people we were afraid we wouldn't be seated, but the line moved quickly and somehow we got in.

posted Hide Post

Has anyone seen this suspicious character who has invaded the children's department of Barnes and Noble stores across the country? All I can think of is the predatory "Fox" who takes over the small local bookstore in You've Got Mail. No one can identify him and I suspect a sinister plot of the deepest implications leading to the highest levels of alien intelligence. If you know anything, please report! Society's safety could depend on it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Tonight's Antique Roadshow, taking place from Santa Clara, CA, is featuring "Ray Bradbury Archives." At least it is showing in Los Angeles this evening. This is a new episode. Check your local listings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Tonight's Antique Roadshow, taking place from Santa Clara, CA, is featuring "Ray Bradbury Archives." At least it is showing in Los Angeles this evening. This is a new episode. Check your local listings.

And if you don't have a local listing, click here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post