Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes...say~

"December 2005: The Silent Towns"
"... Genevieve. Oh, Genevieve, sweet Genevieve!"

(Good one, Phil!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which qualifies as the Bradbury story I think of every day--as my pastor's granddaughter is named Genevieve and so is the dog next door!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That could get confusing: "Here, Genevieve...fetch the stick, Genevieve..."

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And "Sweet Lady Genevieve" is a song by the Kinks, of course.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest edition of the Pandemonium Press, in text format:

Pandemonium Press
An Irregular Publication of
RAY BRADBURY’S
PANDEMONIUM THEATRE COMPANY
Celebrating its
46th ANNIVERSARY YEAR!

Issue No. 51 October/November, 2009

THE PLAY’S THE THING

Ray Bradbury’s
The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
DON’T MISS IT!! – NOW THRU NOV. 14

Five young Latino men from East LA ascribe near-mystical powers to a beautifully-tailored white suit, the luscious color of vanilla ice cream, in the window of Shumway’s Sunshine Suits.

If Martinez had that suit, then Celia, the prettiest girl in the neighborhood, might notice him. If Villanazaul had that suit, then he could impress people as a public speaker. If Gomez or Dominguez had that suit, they’d be hits with the ladies. If Vamenos had that suit, he would cease to be a social pariah and become the life of the party.

The magical power of The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit is to imbue its wearer with confidence.

Produced by Ray Bradbury and Racquel Lehrman, Theatre Planners, the cast includes Adrain Elizondo, Joaquin Garay III, Daniel V. Graulau, Joan Jack, Robert Kerr, Joy Nash, Paul Renteria, Eddie Ruiz, Rudy Rodriguez, Andy Sell, and Philip Sokoloff. Direction is by Alan Neal Hubbs, with Lighting Design by Peter Strauss, Sound Design by Robert Arturo Ramirez, Scenic Design by John Edw. Blankenship and Production Stage Management by Elliott Woodruff.

Correction: The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit was originally performed at the Coronet Theater in Los Angeles in 1965. (Correction per Ray Bradbury.)

Fremont Centre Theatre
1000 Fremont Ave. (at El Centro)
South Pasadena, CA 91030
Abundant free parking behind the theatre.
Close to the Mission St. Station of the Metrolink Gold Line.

Preview: Friday, September 25 at 8 pm
Opening Night: Saturday, September 26 at 8 pm
Performances: Friday and Saturday at 8 pm; Sunday at 3 pm
Closing Performance: Saturday, November 14 at 8 pm
Admission: $20 Seniors: $15 Students: $10
Reservations and information: (323) 960-4451
Online ticketing: www.Plays411.com/raybradbury

. . . excerpted from the Press Releases by Philip Sokoloff (showbizphil@sbcglobal.net)

RAY AROUND TOWN

Ray Bradbury in Person – October 24 – 4:00 pm

Ray will attend a reception at Every Picture Tells a Story in Santa Monica to introduce and unveil the new DARK CARNIVAL art print. A limited supply of autographed Bradbury books will be available for sale at the event as well. (Please note: Mr. Bradbury will only be signing books and art purchased at Every Picture Tells a Story).

The Dark Carnival Print: The untitled oil painting being introduced as a giclée print was created in 1948, around the time of the publication of Ray’s first book, the story collection Dark Carnival. Out of print for over 50 years, the book was reissued by Gauntlet Press in 2001 with this painting as its cover. Mr. Bradbury has come to think of this painting as “Dark Carnival” and hence its title.

For many years the original painting was in the collection of Ray Bradbury’s longtime friend, the late Forrest J. Ackerman. Currently, it is owned by Bradbury bibliographer Donn Albright, who graciously loaned the art for reproduction.

Photographed from the original art and printed on the finest art papers in an edition of only 200, each personally signed by Ray Bradbury, the DARK CARNIVAL is designed to match the size and look of the two HALLOWEEN TREE prints. The release price will be $300.

Note from Lee Cohen: I was saddened to learn yesterday (Sept. 22) of the passing of our friend, the great illustrator, Bernie Fuchs. He did several covers for Ray’s books (Driving Blind, Quicker Than the Eye) but most of us know his work from the many Sports Illustrated and TV Guide covers, etc. He was influential and he will be missed.

Every Picture Tells a Story is located at 1311-C Montana Avenue in Santa Monica (90403). For information or directions call 310-451-2700 or go to www.everypicture.com.

After the signing – October 24 – 7:30 pm

The Aero Theatre (across the street from Every Picture Tells a Story) will show Something Wicked This Way Comes and Ray (hopefully) will introduce the screening.

RAY IN PRINT

News from Gauntlet Press

Ray Bradbury’s Bullet Trick is now at the printer. A November release is expected. Just a reminder that all copies are signed by the author. Slipcases are now being made for Bullet Trick. The hand-made, bonded-leather slipcase has a “doodle” by Bradbury imprinted on one side, making the book more collectible. It’s best to order this special slipcase now. For ordering information contact gauntlet@pcisys.net or info@gauntletpress.com.

News from Doug M.

There was an article on Ray at lastageblog.com, July 22, 2009, by Deborah Behrens entitled “Ray Bradbury: Leasing from the Heart.”

In the July/August 2009 issue of THE SATURDAY EVENING POST, Ray has a poem entitled “America.”

Several pages from the new graphic novel version of FAHRENHEIT 451 have been reprinted in PLAYBOY, July/August 2009.

Ray’s story “All Summer in a Day” is reprinted in THE VERY BEST OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION: 60TH ANNIVERSARY ANTHOLOGY, ed. By Gordon Van Gelder (Tachyon Publications, 2009).

Lastly, “Bradbury Revisits Old Haunt,” by Mary MacVean, in THE LOS ANGELES TIMES, September 19, 2009. Ray returns to Clifton’s Cafeteria for his 89th birthday.

Be sure to check in on Ray’s website: www.raybradbury.com

Ray Bradbury's Pandemonium Theatre Company
Established 1963
Ray Bradbury, Co-Founder, Producer and Playwright
The late Charles Rome Smith, Co-Founder and Director

Pandemonium Press
Marlene and Arnold Kunert – Editors
Email to pande_press@cox.net if you no longer wish to receive this publication.
©2009 RAY BRADBURY ENTERPRISES

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You beat me posting by two-and-one-half hours!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight, the TVGuide channel has my type of program, TV's Sexiest Sci-Fi Women of All Time, on at 8 p.m.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Betty Aberlin as Lady Aberlin on Mr. Rogers was, if not the sexiest, the most beautiful.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been reported to me that the October 5th issue of People Magazine had an interview with Bill and Melinda Gates and one of the items they mentioned in the interview was that they were discussing the graphic novel edition of F451 at the dinner table.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
It has been reported to me that the October 5th issue of People Magazine had an interview with Bill and Melinda Gates and one of the items they mentioned in the interview was that they were discussing the graphic novel edition of F451 at the dinner table.

And here is the article's link, sent to me by
Tim Hamilton, the illustrator:

http://www.people.com/people/a.../0,,20314168,00.html

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
This link is to Larry Niven's speech at the 75th anniversary banquet for The Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society (LASFS). Ray is mentioned in the second paragraph.
http://www.lasfsinc.info/index...ew&id=348&Itemid=517

This link also mentions Ray in a speech by Len & June Moffatt:
http://www.lasfsinc.info/index...ew&id=347&Itemid=517

The links are kind of “hinkey” so you might have to go here:
http://www.lasfsinc.org/index....ew&id=261&Itemid=566

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
This link is to Larry Niven's speech at the 75th anniversary banquet for The Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society (LASFS). Ray is mentioned in the second paragraph.

But Larry's math doesn't add up.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This link also mentions Ray in a speech by Len & June Moffatt.

Len! That reminds me: at the completion of my video-taping of 4E's final birthday bash last year, Len approached me, asking if I could either deliver a card to 4E or fix it so that he could drop by to visit (the gentleman was on his deathbed at this time), and I believe I made a phone call, and Len went by to visit. End of story. But I remember he was a very pleasant man - very nice. And now this.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Dare I say, hinkey is a good word?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sir Dracula

"Live Forever!"