Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
PLUS THESE WONDERFUL HEADLINES:

"Microscopic civilization of humans found alive in ancient petrified pudding."

"Farmer's chickens can dance. They love old jitterbug music."

"Anorexia patients complain skeletons in doctor's office are too fat."

"Confessions of a talking dog and his double life as a cat."

"New Cookbook to hit bookstores for the Holidays: It's edible, you can bake it, and it needs no refridgeration."

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a crock-pot for starlings.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just slimed my screen!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, speaking of tabloids. The National Enguirer, The Globe, Star and I think a couple of others, are all published in Boca Raton, Florida just north of here. It's all one company and all under one roof. They had to move because of the Anthrax Case shortly after 9/11 where one of their staff was killed after opening an envelope containing Anthrax. The building was contaminated and eventually sold to a group led by former Mayor Guiliani.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sceneshifter:
Guess who this is, "I'm going to destroy you with the P-32 Space Modulator".

I love Marvin the Martian!

"That makes me angry - very angry indeed!"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MOD-U-LATE-OR is pronounced the same distinct way as KERMIT-THEE-FROG.

My little figurine of Marvin stands right next to the one of the Rocketeer.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1:
Wow! I remember something about that incident. Did they ever find the person(s) responsible? What was ultimately decided about the use for the building?

==============On another note===============

Sat down with writer George Clayton Johnson for about 1/2 hour talking with him about his life. The opportunity presented itself at the get together after Ray's closing his play, Autumn People. George has been responsible in one way or another for such works as Oceans Eleven, Logan's Run, etc.
Not a surprise to anyone, he is a proponent of legalizing medicinal marijuana. He was born in 1927, putting him in a nearby age-neighborhood along with Bradbury. Someway or another, I managed to move the conversation over to the topic of Religion, and George Clayton Johnson was most enthusiastic about the subject. We talked about a number of things, and somehow, someway, I asked George point-blank where along the way did his life go wrong. That was after talking with him about his life in general. But this idea that something went wrong was obviously right there before him when the question was presented, and George always talks about Ray often giving him a hard time about his wasting his talent. And so George went on for a good ten minutes, describing in detail... (more later)!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
He was born in 1927...

Did he tell you that? I have July 10th, 1929.

quote:
...he is a proponent of legalizing medicinal marijuana.

Big surprise there! (You'd have to know him) And I would venture to say not just medicinal!

quote:
describing in detail... (more later)!

You tease!

Last night watched George's episode of Star Trek, "The Man Trap" - it's a good 'un!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:

Had to cut short and run. Back now!

Actually, I think I got that birth year off the internet.

=============================================

Now back to the story:

~~~[please note, and I mean this seriously, there is no way I can adequately express George Clayton's story of how it came about that he made the 'big' mistake of his life. When he described the event, it was like an artist waving his brush against a canvas and then the canvas burned up and you, the spectator, are left with only ideas of motion and remembrances of color, but little else. It had to do with the ongoing event itself, at the time. How do you describe the character of each visitation of individual winds, when many winds meet to move the scenery before you with their presence?
So I merely transcribe a few notes at best...]~~~

It begins with his love for the works and person of A.E.Van Vogt, the great science fiction writer of stories such as the classic SLAN. One way or another George made his way to that time he first met A.E. Van Vogt. George said he was fully accepted by writer Van Vogt. This young George Clayton Johnson, looking for validation in his endeavors of becoming a writer were fully met in those hours he talked and listened with his favorite author. But he really didn't realize the strong impact of that meeting, or his soon-to-be release from those entombed catacombs of his personal caccoon, until the following days.

While smoking marijuana, George said he thrust himself out into the far plains of space and wandered the stars in contemplative reflections of the previous day with Mr. Van Vogt. And then it all came together: he had been accepted by his favorite, most admired, greatest of all writers, A.E. Van Vogt. And it was at that moment, he realized his release from his jail, his entrapped soul now soaring to brand-new lands of dreams and grand expectations. And by what device, all this awareness...why by that wonderful gift...of 'pot'.

Since then, George Clayton Johnson has been a proponent of legalizing pot. But in addiitonal moments of reflection, it is THAT event that was the mistake of his life. The day he was captivated by this drug.

========================================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

posted Hide Post
Isn't he fascinating? I think he's one of the most intellectual persons I've ever talked to. Many have been the wonderful ruminations put forth by him whilst visiting over libations at his favourite local eatery (and drinkery).

He told the Van Vogt story on tape during our interview of him in August. You ask one question, and get twenty minutes of response!

Wonderful man.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
For the love of Marvin, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krank?! Watch your phraseology. Great honk! A good stiff shot of Ovalteen will fix everybody right up We done need no illegal herbs and spices.

Need to separate the seeds and stems? Crock-pot. But you need an SR451 Space MOD-U-LATE-OR.

posted Hide Post
I've now enclosed my screen in plastic, shaking with chortles! I did think about that phraseology AFTER I posted that. Extra curricular drugs was not my meaning. Someone last week at work was miffed with the way the sink and counter in the break room was being neglected. They posted an anonymous sign which read, "If you make a mess on the counter, please for the love of krank, take a moment to clean up after yourself". I lifted and used their version for my greeting. I now see the error of my ways. I will make a slight correction, & thanks. By the way, I am currently quite stuffed and naturally lethargic sans dark suculent turkey meat, hope everyone else is too...

posted Hide Post
Great place to check out the religious backgrounds of famous science fiction authors:

http://www.adherents.com/adh_sf.html

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am surprised the number of atheists listed. Also, how Bradbury moved from a Christian to a Universalist.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post