Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that, Doug. Now those who were wondering what a Martian looks like know.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a highly scientific rendering.

Last Sunday over lunch, Kersh called Ray's taste in art "earthy".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK folks, I'm off to Florida for three weeks.

See you when I get back. (Unless I can sneak in for a few minutes on my sister's notebook, then I'll see you before I get back).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey! Look up Biplane during your trip!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your welcome here too Spaulding. Didn't anyone see my old time Christmas links with a surrealistic sci-fi theme to them? Well, I never......How are ye B-Two? I see you too jkt and patrask, lets retire to the panic room. Maybe dredge up a ghostly tale like The Cistern or The Scythe perhaps........

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Iraqi shoe-flinging, far as I am from being a fan of ANY Bushes, I commend the president's reflexes and ask how sad is it when the Prime Minister and reporters of Iraq, a country with which we were at war last I checked, do more for the President of the United States than the American Secret Service?

They need to fire those clowns and hire Paul Simon's security guards. Take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK1T-5iq9IQ right about 3:30, eerily, right after John Lennon is mentioned.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Your welcome here too Spaulding. Didn't anyone see my old time Christmas links with a surrealistic sci-fi theme to them? Well, I never......How are ye B-Two? I see you too jkt and patrask, lets retire to the panic room. Maybe dredge up a ghostly tale like The Cistern or The Scythe perhaps........

Hello and fair thee well Rocket,
those are two of my farorite Bradbury SS. I had the priviledge to see the Cistern come alive on the stage out here in one of Ray's dramatizations a while ago. Marvelous. There was the younger, and more spooky Ray, and then there was the softer and more human Ray - The Dandelion Wine stories and others. I liked them all and could never get enough of the man. I am now 66 and have visited with him in his home and thanked him personaly for the wonderful moments that he has given to us all through his stories. I am so glad to see him finally get all the recognition that he so heartily deserves.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. Hey patrask, you'll appreciate my links a few posts back. It rings with nostalgic X-mas spirit. By the way Merry Christmas to everyone!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hometown of Glendale, CA always has a float in the Rose Bowl Parade. This year, the float featured our "historic" Alex Theatre. You know this had to have a tie-in with Mr. B so here it is. Two young Ray's, Bradbury and Harryhausen, frequented this theatre as teenagers, once going on a double-date to see King Kong reprised at the Alex Theatre. In December '07 this theatre presented Frost and Fire as a ballet.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I stumbled upon this article about the parade.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-ma...ec31,0,5502878.story

I, for one, had no problem with them ending the airing of a football game, that ran too long, to start Heidi. Smiler

Having helped build floats (pasting on flowers) I say leave the parade to be as long at it needs to be.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
OK folks, I'm off to Florida for three weeks. See you when I get back.

OK, I'm back - carry on carrying on.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Last week there was a leading article in the 'Los Angeles Times' CALENDAR section pertaining to publisher Hugh Hefner. After reading the article, I had to write a letter to the editor. I did, and got back a request for my name, city where I lived, and an okay to print the letter. I did that as well, but they never ran the letter. Perhaps it was double the length they usually use, but they could have chopped it up and use at least one comment on Hefner's love of movies. They didn't. So I am onlining the letter here, as it was sent to the editor:

Dear Geoff Boucher, 'Calendar' editor

...Nearly 50 years ago now, I got into an elevator on its way to court with Hugh Hefner at 1, maybe 2 in the morning, Chicago! And this is something like what he said about the city lawsuit against him for obscenity: "Twenty years from now this won't mean a thing. The laws will change, people's ideas will be different. This won't mean a thing."

...Face it, I was a dumb stupid kid who had sex issues dating back to kindergarten. I thought he was my publishing idol. The city that early morning hour came back with a jury deadlocked. And the case against Hefner per the Jayne Mansfield photos was dropped.

...Reading your article I stand back in a mystified stare at Hefner's words...that feeling unloved made him embrace his life style and that from movies he learned everything about love. Can we take this as something of a damning declaration of the industry if what came forth was a man finding liberation in ungodly arrogance, be it, perhaps, unconscious? Maybe.

...I recall standing behind him in line, back in the 60's, as a bunch of us were entering a nightclub on Rush Street in Chicago. Hefner, trying to be a friend with everyone, tried also to convince the doorman/bouncer who he was. Hefner pulled out his license, showed him his name, and said that he was editor and publisher of Playboy. I recall the fellow looking unconvinced, considering Hefner just another crazy party seeker on a weekend night in Chicago. But what about those babes on each of Hefner's arms?

...Maybe that's really what all his life has been about: on a long road looking for love!!

...But in all the wrong places.

Nard Kordell

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Norman Bates may not be the most dangerous thing with regards to taking a shower!

That chlorine'll kill you!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hmmm, water companies spend millions filtering the water, removing the contaminants, and making it far safer to drink than river water (in Europe prior to the industrial revolution people drank beer as we drink water, because beer was far safer than water).

...and by the time it comes out of the tap (faucet) it is magically harmful again.

I think not.

Some people will tell you anything in order to sell their snake oil.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post