Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Norman Corwin's The Rivalry, about the Lincoln/Douglas debates is available at L.A. Theatre Works.

http://www.bigcontact.com/latw

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two related press releases:

FRIENDS OF BRADBURY STAGE READ-IN AS FUNDRAISER FOR MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION, PROVING THAT RUMORS OF THE DEATH OF BOOKS ARE GREATLY EXAGGERATED
On November 13th, from noon until six o’clock in the evening at Mystery and Imagination Bookshop in Glendale, “Friends of Bradbury” evoke the spirit of the Sixties and light Ray Bradbury’s favorite bookstore on fire with their passion for books.
Visionaries like Bradbury foretold the future—and it is our today. However unwittingly, electronic data and devices like Kindle assume the role of Guy Montag in Bradbury’s iconic “Fahrenheit 451” and undermine the role of physical books in our culture. Believing ourselves powerless, we stand by and watch our neighborhood bookstores topple.
You have heard the warnings: The bound book is dead or dying! Let us not prove the doomsayers right. Come join the Friends of Bradbury, and show that we will not take this lying down. The marathon read-in will be an all-day happening, as many special guests raise their voices, channel Ray Bradbury, and demonstrate the power that resides in books by great authors, many of which can be found for sale at the Glendale bookstore.
The November 13th event will be a tribute to Ray Bradbury, a benefit for Mystery and Imagination Bookshop in Glendale, and a call to arms for all who love to hold a book in their hands and spend an afternoon treasure-hunting the aisles of their favorite local bookseller. More than anything, the day will serve as a clarion call—let all who love and collect books speak out against the death of books by continuing to support your local bookstore. The bound book will only die if we stand by passively and watch.
All readings will be recorded and sold at Mystery and Imagination Bookstore in Glendale , and all proceeds thereof will be divided between the bookstore and Mr. Bradbury himself. Given his remarkable longevity, Ray Bradbury is frail of health, and does not get out as often as he would like, so his attendance is not expected. The event is being produced by celebrated writer of books, teleplays, and screenplays, George Clayton Johnson—Ray Bradbury’s dear friend and co-author of Icarus Montgolfier Wright, their Academy Award nominated short film.
For More Information, Contact:
Mystery and Imagination Bookshop
238 N. Brand Blvd.
Glendale , CA. 91203
818-545-0206

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

FRIENDS OF BRADBURY STAGE READ-IN AS FUNDRAISER FOR MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION, PROVING THAT RUMORS OF THE DEATH OF BOOKS ARE GREATLY EXAGGERATED

On November 13th, from noon until six o’clock in the evening at Mystery and Imagination Bookshop in Glendale, “Friends of Bradbury” evoke the spirit of the Sixties and light Ray Bradbury’s favorite bookstore on fire with their passion for books.

Visionaries like Bradbury foretold the future—and it is our today. However unwittingly, electronic data and devices like Kindle assume the role of Guy Montag in Bradbury’s iconic “Fahrenheit 451” and undermine the role of physical books in our culture. Believing ourselves powerless, we stand by and watch our neighborhood bookstores topple.

You have heard the warnings: The bound book is dead or dying! Let us not prove the doomsayers right. Come join the Friends of Bradbury, and show that we will not take this lying down. The marathon read-in will be an all-day happening, as many special guests raise their voices, channel Ray Bradbury, and demonstrate the power that resides in books by great authors, many of which can be found for sale at the Glendale bookstore.

The November 13th event will be a tribute to Ray Bradbury, a benefit for Mystery and Imagination Bookshop in Glendale, and a call to arms for all who love to hold a book in their hands and spend an afternoon treasure-hunting the aisles of their favorite local bookseller. More than anything, the day will serve as a clarion call—let all who love and collect books speak out against the death of books by continuing to support your local bookstore. The bound book will only die if we stand by passively and watch.

All readings will be recorded and sold at Mystery and Imagination Bookstore in Glendale , and all proceeds thereof will be divided between the bookstore and Mr. Bradbury himself. Given his remarkable longevity, Ray Bradbury is frail of health, and does not get out as often as he would like, so his attendance is not expected. The event is being produced by celebrated writer of books, teleplays, and screenplays, George Clayton Johnson—Ray Bradbury’s dear friend and co-author of Icarus Montgolfier Wright, their Academy Award nominated short film.

For More Information, Contact:
Mystery and Imagination Bookshop
238 N. Brand Blvd.
Glendale , CA. 91203
818-545-0206

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Two related press releases:...

So closely related that I would swear they were identical. (Twins, perhaps!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
So closely related that I would swear they were identical. (Twins, perhaps!)

I received the same email last evening, and I could have sworn the same thing! But the difference is that one is FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the other one has an embargo attached?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the other one has an embargo attached?

A good word!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to File 770 the first article under the heading Snapshots 52 Pickup is about A Sound of a Different Drummer and its real origins.

http://file770.com/

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writingalchemy.com has the youtube (third down) quoting Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WritingAlchemy#p/u

Also Old Time Radio Free Podcast & Download Blog has this posted:

http://nostalgic-radio.com/201...y-bradbury-1953.aspx

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug spaulding is back in Kalifornia. Did anybody else feel a tear in the Force?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
...Did anybody else feel a tear in the Force?

Would that be a tear as in "rip", or tear as in "my eyes are watering"? Razzer

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...Did anybody else feel a tear in the Force?

Would that be a tear as in "rip", or tear as in "my eyes are watering"? Razzer

More like shredding of the fabric. Big Grin

AND he brought something called cold weather with him. I did not know that temperatures could get below 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 Celcius) during the day.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
AND he brought something called cold weather with him. I did not know that temperatures could get below 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 Celcius) during the day.

You should see it around here about now.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I did not know that temperatures could get below 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 Celcius) during the day.

You forgot to duck when you said that!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...I did not know that temperatures could get below 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 Celcius) during the day.

You forgot to duck when you said that!

We will save our annual rainstorm for the second weekend in February. Big Grin

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Ray got another medal. A very heavy medal from the Shakespeare Society. Of course I left my camera at home and the cell phone in the car so I'll make sure to get more information next week. I don't see any information of their website yet but keep an eye out.

http://www.shakespearesociety....jBv6UCFRNSgwodNwtxYw

John King Tarpinian