Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
He gives a lot of interesting insights regarding writing. Here is what he has to say about God and religion:

His Dark Materials seems to be against organised religion. Do you believe in God?

I don't know whether there's a God or not. Nobody does, no matter what they say. I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away.

Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
...I've come to the conclusion that Jesus is Truth.

I must confess that I agree with Mr Knox here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name.

Again, I must confess that I agree with Mr Pullman here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend recently forwarded the following story to me by email:

In Florida, an atheist became incensed over the preparation of Easter and Passover holidays. He decided to contact his lawyer about the discrimination inflicted on atheists by the constant celebrations afforded to Christians and Jews with all their holidays while atheists had no holiday to celebrate.

The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the long passionate presentation by the lawyer, the Judge banged his gavel and declared, 'Case dismissed!'

The lawyer immediately stood and objected to the ruling and said, 'Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and many other observances. Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah...yet my client and all other atheists have no such holiday!'

The judge leaned forward in his chair and simply said, 'Obviously your client is too confused to even know about, much less celebrate his own atheists' holiday!'

The lawyer pompously said, 'Your Honor, we are unaware of any such holiday for atheists. Just when might that holiday be, your Honor?'

The judge said, 'Well it comes every year on exactly the same date--April 1st! Since our calendar sets April 1st as "April Fools Day," consider that Psalm 14:1 states, "The fool says in his heart, there is no God." Thus, in my opinion, if your client says there is no God, then by scripture, he is a fool, and April 1st is his holiday! Now have a good day and get out of my courtroom!!'

Way to go, Judge!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huzzah!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all agree, there is God. Only we all disagree as to the implications of the existance of God. Why don't we all just get along with the firm knowledge that each of us experiences a slightly different perception of reality, and can never really "Know" what another seems to "Know" about the world. We are better, therefore for sharing our individual perceptions and filling in the spaces in our own perceived, but limited, sense of the living experience.

I thank all my Christian friends on this board for sharing their joy in their perceptions. I have my own and consider mine as equally valid, while still remaining open to any new information that may come my way, that helps me to "Know" God better.

There are many names of God. I like the four-letter one best: L O V E

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
tinkerbell, After a long struggle, I've come to the conclusion that Jesus is Truth. I agree with Nard's posting.

Thanks for giving me a straight answer. For a while I thought you might be a politician. Hug re-instated. I concur with Nard's four-letter word - not always attainable in a world full of prejudice and greed. But your terminology "Truth" seems to depend on an upper or lower case. "Truth" to me correlates with one's perception of reality. Either something is or it isn't. I don't see what that has to do with Jesus. Please put me right. I'm perplexed, or maybe it's a 'common language' problem.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with patrask first of all. Secondly regarding the Pullman books, how many people have read the books. I finished the first one but have not started the second yet. I hear Pullman is against organized religion but I also hear he rails against pure science as well so at least he is equal in his rantings. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Sometimes I find fantasy hard to dive into and really "be" there. I was able to do it with Lord Of The Rings and a number of others but for the most part, it just isn't my thing. I did enjoy The Golden Compass. I just don't like people railing against someones fiction writing because it goes against what they believe in their religion. That's why we catagorize religion at bookstores as non-fiction verses made up stories as fiction. A lot of science fiction stories have dealt with God in a myriad of ways, some positive and some negative. My advice is read the book then put forth your view of the story. I can't wait to see the movies too.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Rocket,
I have almost finished the Golden Compass and I too am really impressed with the writing style. I am deeply in the story from the first page, and yet I can read the entire book of some 300 pages in a day or two. I really like it. I will see the movie tomorrow and then see how they did against the book. It has the flavor of the movie SHE (Harryhausen version in color of course) because of the cold weather environment I guess. So far I really don't understand the ranting against this story or the film. Good characterization is easy to read and this work is one of those. I an glad that I bought the trilogy. Happy Reading.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone in So California:

Ray is to speak at the Laguna Beach Library this Friday 12/14 at 6 PM for the Friends of the Library. There is a charge of $25 per person and reservations are required. (949) 376-5755

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Anyone in So California:

Ray is to speak at the Laguna Beach Library this Friday 12/14 at 6 PM for the Friends of the Library. There is a charge of $25 per person and reservations are required. (949) 376-5755

This belongs under Upcoming Appearances, not Off-Topic or Miscellany.

posted Hide Post
Here, here!
Or, rather,
There, there!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear that patrask. I too bought the trilogy and intend to see the movie real soon. Lol, B-Two!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished the second book, "The Subtle Knife" and the writing continues to engulf me with the story and the characters. This is fine writing, as has already been recognized by the awards the trilogy has recieved. Very cleverly conceived story lines and spellbinding suspense. On to the Third book, next. I saw "The Golden Compass" and it was very true to the novel, and well made. I recommend it to all who love fantasy and adventure.

posted Hide Post
patrask:
What what what? Just drove in from Phoenix to visit an ailing sister. And now I hear Twenty-Five smackers to hear Ray at the Laguna Beach Library! A 875 mile roundtrip at $3.25 a gallon means I'll have to be content to cup my eyes and stare in the window from the sidewalk outside.

tinkerbell:
...will try to clear up this "T"ruth and "t"ruth...later...!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post