Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
An article in today's Los Angeles Times mentions Ray while they talk about the closing of Acres of Books.

http://www.latimes.com/news/lo...0711,0,5296891.story

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother Tom is mentioned in this article about a fascinating way of building homes.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On this day in 1965 the NASA spacecraft Mariner IV flew past Mars, collecting the first close-up pictures of another planet. Sadly, they did not take a photo of Parkhill's hot dog stand...

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...Sadly, they did not take a photo of Parkhill's hot dog stand...

...because they were 40 years too early: Parkhill's hot dog stand opened in November 2005 (according to some editions of The Martian Chronicles: "November 2005 - The Off Season")!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
...Sadly, they did not take a photo of Parkhill's hot dog stand...

...because they were 40 years too early: Parkhill's hot dog stand opened in November 2005 (according to some editions of The Martian Chronicles: "November 2005 - The Off Season")!

My mistake. Wink

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is a piece of trivia for all of you out there who will admit to watching Last Comic Standing. The finals are being filmed at the Alex Theatre which is no in Hollywood but in Glendale, CA. This theatre is where Ray Bradbury and Ray Harryhausen took their dates to see a revival of King Kong. Also, two years ago the ballet, Fire and Ice, was performed on this stage. Since Ray talked before the performance he, too, has been on this stage.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness Ray is giving credit where it is due and does not deny the existence of a deity...even a creator!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger Ebert's Overlooked DVD of the Week:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com...29/REVIEWS/304290301

Something Wicked This Way Comes

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I was watching The Prestige on the SyFy channel (still hate the name change) and they mentioned Chung Ling Soo. Here is a website where you can buy magic mugs...minimum order 75 mugs. Darn.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
I was watching The Prestige on the SyFy channel (still hate the name change) and they mentioned Chung Ling Soo. Here is a website where you can buy magic mugs...minimum order 75 mugs. Darn.

SyFy isn't even the way you spell it!

Where's a website?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

"The Prestige" is one of my favorite movies. I have watched the thing about five times now and own the DVD. It is not readily apparent what is happening and you must discard your knowledge and embrace the fantasy to get the thing at all. I had to watch it twice before I got what was really happening, because my knowledge of the physics would not permit me to believe what was taking place on the screen. It is true fiction but done in such a careful way that you almost believe it is possible. I won't go into further details to keep from spoiling it for any that have not seen this amazing movie.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Where's a website?

http://www.mrmagician.co.uk/ch...ng-soo-magician.html

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I'm sure by now the word has gotten out that SubPress has posted quantities of A Pleasure to Burn on eBaY for $10.50, but just in case here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ray-Bradbu...?pt=US_Fiction_Books

They have other books on sale at killer prices, too.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The UCLA tribute to Ray and F451 is now online:

http://www.spotlight.ucla.edu/ray-bradbury/

John King Tarpinian