Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
(not so) Miscellaneous News:

Good photojournalism was able to photograph some of the culprits of the damaged US AIrways jet that miraculously managed to land in the water. Geese? Yes, but...

Imagesecuredownload.jpeg (29 Kb, 10 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LARAMIE is here! On DVD February, 2009!

In time for the 50th anniversary of Laramie, Timeless Media Group has released some of the episodes on DVD. So far all of Season Three (the first color season) has been produced.

Okay, I watched one and here is my review. I chose the episode "The Fatal Step" because it was one of the four made in color I'd only ever seen in black-and-white. The episode looks as if it was made exactly how it was. What they obviously did was get together as many as possible 16 mm prints of each episode, and simply transfer the least-damaged one to DVD. You are going to have faded or discolored picture lacking the crisp image of a restored print and scratched in places, and the sound will be in similar condition. The disclaimer at the beginning of the DVD says as much. Any skipping of picture or sound is the sort of thing that happens with a film projector--nothing to do with the DVD or digital process, at least not with the episode I saw. If some people are paying $60-$70 for just one season in this shape, the company is asking too much.

It's only been in the last 10-15 years or so that people have become so spoiled by restored prints. I still remember how startled I was (not that long ago) to turn on such stations as Sci Fi and TV Land and see shows 30, 40, 50 years old with clear picture and sound--I was used to them looking and sounding the way this does. I'd LOVE to see Laramie fully restored the way Emergency! and other shows have been, but you know what? It's still way better even this way than was ever available before! Having been born halfway through the original run of this series which was never rerun in my area, and becoming familiar with Robert Fuller's work through Emergency!, between the time I learned of the existence of this show and when I actually got to see ANY episode, in ANY condition, by ANY means, was 24 years, and that was five years ago! So don't knock it! Don't miss out on a FABULOUS series with great writing, exceptional acting, and some guest stars who went on to great things!

By the way, mine didn't come with liner notes or anything--just a card showing other shows available. So perhaps there are deluxe and cheap editions, or the notes only come with a later part of the set? The one I got has only discs 1 and 2 of 6 total, so they must be divided into two and three-disc sets for the discount stores. Even if the quality is not perfect, I hope lots of people will buy it so they bring out the rest of the series--BELIEVE ME, nothing better is available out there! I looked for YEARS!

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like it just had to be posted...

ImageCommentsPlz.jpg (171 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...Even if the quality is not perfect, I hope lots of people will buy it so they bring out the rest of the series--BELIEVE ME, nothing better is available out there! I looked for YEARS!

dandelion, I don't know Laramie (and certainly haven't seen the DVDs you refer to). However, I wondered if maybe the show is out of copyright. Anything that enters public domain is ripe for exploitative, un-restored DVD release.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Seems like it just had to be posted...

When I said "Get on the plane", I didn't mean "get ON the plane."

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:dandelion, I don't know Laramie (and certainly haven't seen the DVDs you refer to). However, I wondered if maybe the show is out of copyright. Anything that enters public domain is ripe for exploitative, un-restored DVD release.

No, as far as I know, the only TV Western actually out of copyright is Twenty-Six Men. (I never heard of it either; maybe that's why they let the copyright run out.) Of the rest, only a few really popular ones merit restored release. The rest, the studios are sitting on the original films and won't release them or lend them for duplication. They at last consented, however, for companies such as Timeless Media Group to have the right to release unrestored copies. They simply scrounged up as many 16 mm films as existed that fans were willing to lend and the rest had to come from old VHS tapes, possibly not even first generation, but still...better than no Laramie at all!

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great interview with a lovely lady: http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/i ... s_his.html

posted Hide Post
This place is dead - did everybody go on holiday at once?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It was announced on the radio. All Americans to leave the country immediately."

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Erratum. The above post is a clue to the 'Name the RB Story' poser, only I seem to have lost the thread.
Is it OK to defenestrate?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
All Americans to leave the country immediately.

I'm so there!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Erratum. The above post is a clue to the 'Name the RB Story' poser, only I seem to have lost the thread.

I think I found it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
dandelion, if you're not doing anything June 4 though 6, 2009, I suggest you head on over to the Memphis Film Festival where one of the guests will be...yes, indeed...none other the Robert Fuller of LARAMIE!

And if you do decide to go, I think someone should give Mr. Fuller some advance warning. Smiler

http://www.memphisfilmfestival.com/index.htm

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard, that was just what I needed to know.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

I think I found it.

Thanks.