Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
B-Two, when you go to BookCrossing, the first thing you do before releasing a book in the wild is to register it using the isbn #. Then the book gets its own number and can be tracked online, assuming whoever ends up with it reads it and continues the chain. The tags can be bought or you can make your own up. It just briefly tells about the concept of it and where to go online and its registered number. It really is quite simple and fun to do and the website is also very dynamic and funfilled with links and a forum like this one. You should check it out.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. Have you posted the site?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-Two, yes I did post that. Previous page of this thread, 10/24/06, 12:49 p.m.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, artlovers, click on the address below.
After moving your cursor a bit, click on what you see again...

http://www.jacksonpollock.org/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was cool! I'm seeing spots.

posted Hide Post
In "The Haunting Of The New" Mr.B. mentions an artist who would splatter paint on canvasses that he would fly as kites to let the wind and rain contribute their artistic touches. I always thought that was a pretty cool idea. I wonder if anyone has done it?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats completely, mindblowingly awesome. Makes me want to go fly a kite...

Addendum: Yesterday before I went in for work, I released into the wild Something Wicked This Way Comes. I put it on a bench right outside of my work. In a few hours, it was gone. Today, before I go into work, I am releasing Illustrated Man, and Dandelion Wine. I already registered I.M. so I will put it on bench in front of work, but D.W. I am going to release at Veterans Park which is two miles from my house. All three of these Bradbury books were "saved" by me out of the garbage. To my standards, they still have a lot of life left in them to amaze and thrill someone. May karma blow them where it will nowSmiler....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
B-Two, so far since Oct. 26th. I have released eight books into the wild and have gotten two journal entries from the different people who found them. In order, here is what I have released so far; Frankenstein, Something Wicked, Illustrated ,Dandelion Wine, Kerouak's On The Road, Martian Chronicles, Kesey's One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest, Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five. I received a response from someone who found Something Wicked outside my bookstore on the bench. Her and her husband were going to dinner when they found it. They are Bradbury fans! They wrote that that is one of the few books of his they don't have. I released On The Road Mon.(my day off)at a beautiful park about two miles from my house. I sat and read for an hour. A woman found my book on the picnic table by the lake. She was notified and was hunting the book. This is so much fun to participate in. I hope you all can try it. Its a little bit addictive as well.

posted Hide Post
This has a "The Pedestrian" meets "The Exiles" in "The Chicago Abyss" flow to it, with a Dandelion Wine positive energy "pass it on" underlying theme.

(Follow that, Sundance?)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure do, Butch. Also reminds me of that great Bradbury story, the title of which escapes me, in which a fellow goes back in time to the death beds of some authors to cheer and assure them that they're loved.

posted Hide Post
Could that be Forever and the Earth? It's in Long After Midnight and it's about the old guy who brings Thomas Wolfe back from his deathbed to write more stories in the now. I think, in it the old guy tells him how great he was/is and that the world needs more of his writing.

posted Hide Post
The Bookcrossing thingy sounds really cool. I've yet to do it, myself. I remember somebody at Asimov's mentioning it last year, actually had its own thread. If we started a "What Do You Do With Your Old Books" thread here at this forum perhaps more people would become aware of it.

There is another website where you can trade books online which I was turned on to in that same thread at Asimov's.
http://www.sf-books.com/

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sceneshifter:
Could that be Forever and the Earth? It's in Long After Midnight...

No, though that's a good one.
In this one he visits Poe, Melville, and Wilde (I think). I think it's in "Quicker Than The Eye".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Also reminds me of that great Bradbury story, the title of which escapes me, in which a fellow goes back in time to the death beds of some authors to cheer and assure them that they're loved.

"Last Rites".

A good 'un!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it! Thanks!