Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just before leaving work Friday, I find in my school mailbox a gracious thank you from Mr. B. A half hour later upon my arrival home, a dvd so kindly forwarded from Doug Spaulding is delivered by our mailman.

I only wish I had more mailboxes! Thanks, DS.

"What if I have a life chock full of things, never bored, find what I want to do, do it, make every day count, every night swell, sleep tight, wake up yelling, laugh lots, grow old still running fast, what then colonel?"

"Why then, boy, you'll be one of God's luckiest people!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great quote, fjp451!

Grocery shopping, frozen food aisle, a very large man with a beard, dressed in a cutoff sweatshirt and jeans, corpulent, squatting down checking out the lower shelf--and there is an extreme but crack revelation. I turned away determined to try and forget too much information but out of the corner of my eye I noticed that there was an equally corpulent lady with him (they were both somewhere in their twenties) and he was holding hands with her as they walked back to their cart. Later, as I was paying up at the checkout counter, I saw them again, walking out and holding hands. These two who don’t meet the physical stereotype of perfection and who may be more beautiful than I will ever know, and who demonstrate a devotion seldom witnessed (by me at any rate), I pray God that in ninety years they will still be holding hands.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Chap. Well-written, and I applaud your reaction.
Reminds me of a similar experience I posted 13 April 2006 04:25 PM.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen V For Vendetta yet? I just watched it tonight and thought it was superb. Ironic that I'm sorta reading Count of Monte Cristo. Natalie Portman was excellent too.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First class flick. I didn’t agree with the politics but enjoyed the film a lot. Good twists.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this guy a Bradbury fan?

Just a guess.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle Einar!

(Nice kilt)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever notice that stretch of road where Mr. or Mrs. Skunk never appear to be able to make it home at night? The ravens like to spend time there. That’s the stretch of road were I saw the guy.

When I was a teenager, the mother of a girl I knew had a thalidomide boy born to her. The child’s arms were useless and his legs malformed. The girl and I grew apart and I didn’t see the boy for another thirteen years, when my wife and I moved into a townhouse at the time my son was born. This same boy was living there with his mother, walking with difficulty and swimming in the pool. He had a great disposition and probably an IQ of between 140 and 170.

Another twenty years and I run into him in a theater lobby and he’s in a wheelchair. I ask him how he’s doing and how his sister is. He tells me he’s fine and his sister is relocated off in Washington State somewhere.

Another year goes buy and I’m driving down that stretch of road and see him in his electric chair on the sidewalk slowly working his way up the hill in the direction of the shopping plaza where the donut shop and the pool hall are, a mile and a half from the convalescent home which is behind him. That journey would take him down a hill and up a hill in both directions. The bottom of the hill is where the brook goes under the bridge and you can stop there and look at the water if you want. I guess his Mom is gone and his sister is in Washington.

I believe that most people in this world just try and get along in it and do what they can to find happiness. Some have to try a little harder; some have to show more courage.

“Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied-
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Ride, boldly ride, young man!

posted Hide Post
Man, if you aren't an author already, you should be. Thanks, beautiful!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The President was bleeped. Bleeped on NBC, bleeped live on the radio. Did you NOT hear the bleeping? Read lips? What did that man say and why was it bleeped?

I hope I haven't just endangered my family.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard the post-election live Press Conference this am while driving down to San Diego. I must say, I was ashamed for our country. Bush is the most unpolished, tongue tied, unprofessional president that I have ever heard. I was truly embarrassed to have him speak for me as an American President. He came off like a frat-brat at a sports news briefing after his team just lost the game - which it did. We must strive to elect better speakers, of either party, who can represent us to the world, and to our children, as fine examples of educated people who value the proper use of English and language in general, and can be a role model for our youth so that they can become respectful of achieving the status of an educated person and value that achievment. I am tired of a President who plays to the dumbing down of America. Let him get a talk show on FOX.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask
I agree! I've looked at other old movies and videos of Presidents. There arn't any good speakers. Ford always hit his head or tripped on something. And tripped over his words as well! Ever listen to Franklin Roosevelt? Sure he had some good moments, but there are some stupid ones there as well. Old man Bush would put you to sleep. Eisenhower had his moments, but I heard audio clippings where he was a loss for words. Same for Reagan, and heard Clinton botch a few lines now and then. As well as make a fool of himself on at least 2 interviews. I understand John Adams got tongued tied and Woodrow Wilson sounded like Old mother Hubbard at some of the high ranking meetings.

Now, take a voice like The Shadow, from radio. Now put that voice into some bright and shining President, and you won't have to invade nobody. They'll all drop their weapons.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I would have started the bashing a long time ago had I known it was acceptable on the board (it is ruled paper, after all!).

Glad I'm not the only one who was embarrassed in front of the world after the last election (and particularly the one before that!).

I keep a daily calendar on my desk at work of "Bushisms", and every day I have a new mangling of the English language to enjoy. I often read it to others in my office who generally chuckle, or reply "oh my God!" And I'm in the military!

You know, an interesting thing about the military and the right, we're painted conservative by a large margin in most folk's minds, but in three commands, I have noticed at least a fifty-fifty split. We're just like everybody else - some of us can't stand the guy (although we're not allowed to say that in an official context).

Some sayings I'm thinking of adopting for my signature lines on email:

"Stop the Dim Reaper!"

"Who Would Jesus Bomb?"

"One Nation Under Surveillance"

"Stop Mad Cowboy Disease!"

"I Say Bring 'Em On!"

"One Heckuva Job, Brownie"

"Mission Accomplished"

"Stuff Happens"

"America Tortures"

Now I've stirred up more trouble than when I wrote about Gnostic Christianity!

To all my Republican friends, I apologise (not a misspelling, the British spelling - I really long to be a European more than ever!); don't hate me because I'm a citizen of the Left Coast!

These days, if you love the ideas of the Constitution, you have to weep.

(Ruled paper, ruled paper!!!)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess my hidden humor is too well hidden, and it probably isn't humor.
What I am saying is no President is ever liked. Not a one. The closest perhaps was Franklin Roosevelt, and maybe Washington. No matter who is President, someone is out to get him to shoot him, stab him, or throw a grenade at him. There are no bad Presidents. They are humans with extraordinary drives and intellect, and with human failings and a fair amount of stupidity, just like the rest of us. What people want is a fairy -God-President. And when they finally get one, I'm sure, given the way things work, he'll eventually turn out to be all the worst things of all Presidents all wrapped into one. But, boy, won't everyone be so happy in the meanwhile.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I got it. I was mainly commenting on patrask's post.

"Live Forever!"