Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:
I take it we are talking about Scorcese's film from the Kazantzakis book, The Last Temptation of Christ. It was a book that has been banned now and then. Scorcese's film did carry a disclaimer saying, in so many words, the film story was BS. Add to that the Kazantzakis theology was skewed. His scene of Christ employed in sexual fantasies while on the cross is not what scripture says happened. It said he was made guilty of that but did not partake.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth"...

Another inconvenient truth: Al's home uses green energy, fluorescent lighting, and solar panels.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
It was a book that has been banned now and then.

Interesting point considering the board we're on.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[one of] Gore’s mansion[s], located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

Want another one?
http://www.neutralsource.org/content/blog/detail/598/

I don't mean to dwell on this. Really. I'm just sick of being asked to "sacrifice" and being taxed and being blamed and then having nothing to show for it but obscenely wealthy politicians. Left and right wing, by the way.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
[one of] Gore’s mansion[s]...and then having nothing to show for it but obscenely wealthy politicians. Left and right wing, by the way.

One of his mansions! Nice. Hopefully one day I can get to the point in which I am required to make reference to "one" of my mansions!

You're right about the politicians, by the way - that's why I'm a centrist moderate independent! Even Democrats (God love 'em) have their problems, believe it or not.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

................................ http://www.afa.net/tombofjesus.htm
,,.............................. http://www.afa.net.tombofjesus.htm

[COLOR:WHITE]..

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the lovely sweet Democrats. You just wan’a hug’m. And the Republicans…where’s my stout stick? And don’t anybody think about forgiving any of them—on either side—because they all know exactly what they’re up to.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone see "Millions" ? A sweet British sleeper that came out a few years ago. Mrs. Braling and I enjoyed it immensely. One caviat, though; most Americans struggle a bit at first with the broad Northern accents.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must have missed Millions, although I love small British gems. Who remembers Saving Grace?

The best of the lot was the brilliant 1998 Irish film Waking Ned. As tight and perfect a comedy as I have seen in a long time. It has one of those "Magic Moments" in movies. I don't know exactly what these 'moments' are, but you'll know them when you see them. Gives me an idea for a new thread. Be seeing you!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0166396/

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I wish my name were persephone....

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I paid a visit to Marguerite at Pierce Brothers Westwood Memorial, and noticed that a new stone had been prepared for her husband. In anticipation, I should imagine.

The simple marker reads:

Ray Bradbury
1920 -
Author of Fahrenheit 451

Interesting that he has chosen that particular tome to memorialize himself. I would have posted a photo, but then I didn't have my camera handy at the time. Perhaps it's better this way - who wants to see something like that anyway? Especially when The Man is going to...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Odd that Ray wants to be remembered for ' Fahrenheit 451'...and not anything else...at least on his tombstone. Doesn't it sound just too gosh darn awful formal? Where's the tux?! And bring the waiter along as well. Kerchiefs for everyone.

Heard him say once that he wanted something like, "He Could Hardly Wait" on his tombstone...in describing his joy for life and the fact that he could hardly wait for morning because of all the excitement the day would certainly hold. I also held that secret desire that it would be looked at as one of those double meaning phrases...that, in actuality, Ray really did believe in heaven (like he probably once did) and "could hardly wait'... for heaven. But then, maybe I'm putting far too much into that original phrase.

Today, my dog died. Named him Peter when he was born, because one of his feet was black and the other, black with a lot of white and grey in it, as if his feet were a bit dusty for all the running to and fro. In scripture Peter did not want Christ to wash his feet. When Christ said Peter would have nothing to do with Him if he did no tallow to have his feet washed, Peter said, here Lord, wash all of me. Well, it was out of that verse about the feet-washing that I named my dog Peter. And on occasion, I would have the opportunity to discuss with someone why I named my friend Peter. One Catholic woman was so incensed, she hardly spoke to me when I told her I named my dog Peter. She shot back, How can you name your dog after a Saint!. I tried to explain. But the offense was too great. Deliver me from some of them good Catholics, please!

Anyway, I was thinking today, well if animals are in heaven (if everything is to be restored back to its original moment of creation where paradise existed...and animals were there, if you recall) ..then Peter is in heaven. And I thought, wouldn't it be interesting if he actually met St. Peter. And Peter would find it deliberately appealing that here was this friendly dog named after him. They would probably be good friends. And, I thought, well, is this possible? And I further thought...if eternal life is just that...eternal, and, like scripture says, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like a day...or a day like a million years for that matter, lots of things take place. Somewheres in that vast scheme of timeless eternity, it would likely be silly to say it did not happen. Time, events, situations, all have utterly 'incomprehensible' diffferent meanings...(accent on the entire word, incomprehensible)!!

So goodbye, my dear friend,
PETER
Feb 12, 1994 - March 12, 2007

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Today, my dog died.
So goodbye, my dear friend,
PETER
Feb 12, 1994 - March 12, 2007

Condolences on the loss of your friend. As a coincidence, my spouse's canine companion is into the final time of life, as well. Diagnosed with tumors, and declining daily.

Live again, and...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I’m sure there’s a new dog in heaven. Condolences.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding : Dogs have such short lives. Gives one pause to think how fast life really goes by.
Chapter 31 : Thanks. Dogs are peoples.

For a lighter moment, check out this StarWars tribute on YOUTUBE.
THIS IS EXCELLENT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGoU8sp8Szw