Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Still can't figure out the gnd, tho.

Doug, Oh, well I'll give you a free pass on this one word:

agenda!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, can I at least rent this thing?

http://www.aptera.com/details.php

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to buy one!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How come I hear the Mission Impossible theme?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, I didn't catch the Mission Impossible theme in the video music. It's to doo, to do to do to do, to doo, to do to do do to doo!

300 Miles per Gallon? You gotta be kidding!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful, isn't it?

It'll be the rage in LA - rich, green-friendly celebrities. They'll dump their Prius faster than Ray can write a new book!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Broid, I don't quite get your attempt at phoneticizing the MI theme.
Seems to me it would be more like:
Doooont Doooont Doon Doon, Doooont Doooont Doon Doon...
(5/4 time signature)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reporting those who voted for Proposition 8 in California stinks of Nazism.

For those who are not aware, Proposition 8 in California was put on the ballot to reaffirm the marriage between a man and a woman. Now, there is a movement underway to get those who voted for banning homosexual marriage fired from their jobs, and literally blacklisted from working in the entertainment industry.

This is no small thing. Some may make light of this, referring to obstinate groups of youths who want to make a noise. But if no one steps in and begins to shout down this type of behavior, it gives me chills to think of where this may lead.

And last week, riots in the streets of San Francisco had hundreds shouting that all Christians get out of San Francisco.

Stay tuned.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Reporting those who voted for Proposition 8 in California stinks of Nazism.

For those who are not aware, Proposition 8 in California was put on the ballot to reaffirm the marriage between a man and a woman. Now, there is a movement underway to get those who voted for banning homosexual marriage fired from their jobs, and literally blacklisted from working in the entertainment industry.

This is no small thing. Some may make light of this, referring to obstinate groups of youths who want to make a noise. But if no one steps in and begins to shout down this type of behavior, it gives me chills to think of where this may lead.

And last week, riots in the streets of San Francisco had hundreds shouting that all Christians get out of San Francisco.

Stay tuned.

Ah, the the power of Civil Disobedience. What do you expect this faction of the population to do, just roll over and take their backhanded second class citizen assignment? That went out with the discrimination against Blacks in the '60s Civil Rights Movement. Now you got the Gay Civil Rights Movement, with, I predict, the same outcome. We will all learn not to treat our fellow persons as different, but accept them as they are and let them be who they are, as they do to you who are not gay.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there is such blackmailing going on (and I suspect that most of it is nothing but rumor) it is not only hypocritical, but unacceptable.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:

Ah, the the power of Civil Disobedience. What do you expect this faction of the population to do, just roll over and take their backhanded second class citizen assignment?

Patrask, you mention, "you who are not gay". But you don't know who I am. How do you know that I am not gay? Let's suppose I am and I am a Christian, who follows God's law that I remain chaste. Where does that leave me?

Nico, in the local publishing field I have heard of several who have been singled out for voting Prop 8. In theater, well know is Scott Eckern. He's theatrical director of California Musical Theater. He was forced out, thanks to complaints from theater artists. And I hear the LA Film Festival is a target and the Cinemark theater chain as well.

Then there is Bruce Cohen, the director of Milk, the movie of San Francisco's Harvey Milk portrayed by Sean Penn, is, at least right now, having a cool head about this, and supporting free speech and free choice, that is to say, free to vote YES on Prop 8. But there is talk looming of closing down the Sundance Film Festival.

This may turn into something akin to seeking out the communists in government. What do you say, Patrask?

posted Hide Post
Phil:

I say:

If you are really a gay person, and you are repressing your true God Given nature by "remaining Chaste" - I love you, not for what you are repressing, but because you must be in pain and torment daily, not being able to express your true nature and just BE. I love you if you are Gay or Not Gay. But, I would recommend that true happiness, comes from the experience of BEING, not in being something else. The situation you describe is akin to being born a light skinned Negro and passing for White in the South, always aware that you are playing a role and may have to admit it at any inopportune moment, to your shame. Not a good way to live a happy, contented life.

I say:
I am not for hurting others to achieve a redress of grievances. But, following the lesson of Gandhi, passive resistance has been the way to undo the injustices of the past. Protest is not bad, as long as it physically hurts no one, and the result is often that the people who are being protested against will see that the end result is not in their best interests, financially, and will then become, under protest on their part, accepting of the others viewpoint. It worked in the Civil Rights movement, by showing the world how wrong the white supremacist were, and turning the minds of the good people, who know justice when they see it, against those who were hurting others for their own reasons.

I say:
Get ready for many more protests until the country realizes it is a mistake to deny part of the natural population their equal rights based on a belief system that seeks to control everything and bend the will of others to its own rules. Live and let live, love thy neighbor, not only if he believes what you do, but even it he does not. Do unto others and follow that old, but very wise, Golden Rule. Stop Hate, and fear. Preach love and acceptance.
That is what I say.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrask,

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phil:

I say:

If you are really a gay person, and you are repressing your true God Given nature by "remaining Chaste"
That is what I say.

Patrask, you poor fellow. You don't understand the Gospel. When you are ignorant in the Gospel and the meaning of Grace, you resort to all kinds of stuff. I walk a thin line like anyone. Every sort of mischief remains at our elbows all our lives. But I'm not walking under my own pressure to be good, or the confidence in how long can I hold my breath under the water of temptation. Thru all my many failings, I've actually learned how to pass the ball to the life of Christ in me. That is the Gospel. Now, if you miss that, you miss it ALL. Christ lives in the Christian. Not an idea. Not an ideal. Not a concept. And since Christ learned how to deal with these sins of the flesh, I can have the energy and the wherewithal to do the same. For it is Christ in me doing the behaving. And that is accomplished when I yield to Him in his word. But it requires a continual daily releasing it all to God. And you might say, well, for what reason? Well, God shows me. God shows any believer. With a growing relationship with Christ, which in itself can be tormenting and make one suffer all the pain of a several new sets of teeth coming in, the end outcome is patience, compassion, truthfulness.

God made me in His image, not in the image of exercised and demonstrated sin, be it in gluttony, envy, pride, sex, or putting other gods in my life. He made me in His image, and wants me to experience a new, eternal life.

posted Hide Post
Then, friend, peace be unto you and your daily struggle to achieve your goals. Meanwhile, others, who do not share your beliefs, have an equal right to be treated with respect, for who they are or how they choose to live, as any other of God's creatures. It is really simple, isn't it? You live your life your way, and I will live my life my way. Both ways are right, becasue they are right for each of us as individuals. I choose not to bow down to a god that requires that I discriminate against my fellow man because he is different or does not share my beliefs. Instead, I choose to love him and respect him FOR those differences.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile, others, who do not share your beliefs.

It's not a belief. It's a reality. If it was simply a belief, it would never work. Until I understood God's power, and not trying under my own power, I struggled with all sorts of things and never won. By your response, this is something you are utterly not understanding. There was a time I didn't understand either, and wore myself out trying to be good. What a waste of effort, time and energy. If it wasn't for God stepping in, I would have simply caved in and did my thing and likely demand you accept my lifestyle in your face,.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post