Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
Spaulding, are you a Jehovah Witness?

As a matter of fact, no.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Spaulding, your cover is blown!

Now, if you had asked "Which devil?" it would be a different matter...

You see through me. It is true that I don't believe in the actual person of a "devil" - especially considering that the Church of the Dark Ages invented him! But I can tell that I'm opening up a can of wormwood, so I'll change the subject. What were we discussing anyway? Ah yes - ruled paper.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
By the way, you didn't want to include the Dead Sea Scrolls in the retrieved quote above?

Because I didn't want to have to say this:

The dead sea scrolls translate differently.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico, no, they don't translate differently. That's also what has been so amazing about the find. Translations handed down thru the centuries have been accurate to the original.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Nico, no, they don't translate differently. That's also what has been so amazing about the find. Translations handed down thru the centuries have been accurate to the original.

Are you talking about the small portion of the Dead Sea Scrolls which is considered by some to be a fragment of the new testament, or are you talking about the Torah? If you were, I misunderstood you. The old testament has remained largely the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nico,

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico, now you're playing games. No thanks!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
What were we discussing anyway? Ah yes - ruled paper.

Yes, let's get back on topic by clicking here!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tinkerbell!
I blush.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Golden Compass ... carries a very sinister ... agenda.

Well, the critics are already saying that whilst the film is visually elaborate, it's cold to the touch.

Well now, I wonder why that might be. Perhaps because the novel itself is all about killing God (a strange career move for an atheist)?

Cold to the touch = dead. Dead = a life without God.

I'm not saying every story ever written has to include God (although in a way it does, since God is present in everything), but when the author goes out of his way to vilify God, as Johnny Cash sang, God's Gonna Cut You Down.

Good luck, Mr Pullman - you're going to need it!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This is a horrific news item, but if anyone has come across this info in the papers or internet, please let me know.

Yesterday, (Dec 6th, '07)...I heard a quick news item on the radio.The newsperson spoke it without any passion, not a pause, and am unable to find anything more about it either on the newspapers or internet. It had to do with the burying of some 1,700 or more bodies that went unidentified thru the 2007 year, in California. They were buried, the newsperson said, in a mass grave containing upwards of 100,000 unidentified bodies placed there thruout the years.

Anyone hear anything on this, please give me a link, or any info. Thanks!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Golden Compass ... carries a very sinister ... agenda.

Well, the critics are already saying that whilst the film is visually elaborate, it's cold to the touch.

Well now, I wonder why that might be. Perhaps because the novel itself is all about killing God (a strange career move for an atheist)?
!

It's almost as if he was attempting for a similar theme as Thus Spake Zarathustra, with the "triumph" of man over god, or some such abstraction. This movie is not something I'm not looking forward to.

posted Hide Post
It's not the first time a mediocre mind and talent has taken the hard work and ideas of a great mind and talent (Lewis) and cobbled something up for his own nefarious purposes.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/arts/mrmovie/story/9504838p-9415587c.html is good. "(The Golden Compass) will bore you and your children. And if there really are parallel universes, everyone living in them will be bored as well."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, just as predicted, out of curiosity, I have ordered the entire set of three novels:
His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass) and will reserve judgement until I have read the set. I have heard that the Golden Compass has been toned down from its original text to stave off the objections of those who might think the movie dangerous to their points of view. After the Christians high jacked Narnia, maybe the Atheists can turn the favor and high jack this movie. Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me. The enemy is not The Christ, it is organized and powerful religion that dictates to people what they should and should not experience. I prefer to use the mind that originated from God to look for Truth whereever I can find it. Good Hunting.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post