Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah!!! Those Monty Python guys are really rather schizophilnic!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They sure know how to confuse a cat.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOSCON to be held turkey day weekend. John Hertz will discuss Martian Chronicles.

http://www.loscon.org/38/?page_id=420

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been listening to Tantor's release of I Sing the Body Electric! and Other Stories by Ray Bradbury as narrated by Dick Hill. I recommend it highly. You can tell (at least it seemed to me) that the narrator especially enjoyed performing these stories!

Well, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! to one and all.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 is #3

http://science.discovery.com/t...sci-fi-books-09.html

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies if this post is in the wrong place - it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.
I have some questions, and hope they are not uncomfortable.

I haven't had much time to spend on this site, but am slowly picking up information about Ray and his work.
First question is about this site itself.
I know the staff here are only responsible for this message board, and looking around the rest of the site I can't see anything added since 2007. Looking at the full list of Ray's work, the last entry is "Now and Forever" published in 2007. Is this in fact Ray's last publication?

And leading on from that, about Ray himself, I see comments that his mail is read to him. Does this mean that he is no longer able to write, or can he perhaps still dictate to fulfill his driving need to create?
Also, I saw somewhere that he now uses a wheelchair. Does this mean that he is unable to access his den of dreams - his basement?

If a moderator feels these questions are too intrusive, please delete, but I would like to know, and maybe others would too, just how he is physically at his great age.

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray still writes every day.

He has an anthology of never before published stories, both found and new, sitting on some editor's desk...it has been over a year now.

Other books are in the works.

He recently finished an article for a major magazine.

Ray is working with a producer and writer on the screen play for one of his major works.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
As I understand, and correct if this is either wrong or changed, since his stroke Ray writes by dictation. He calls his daughter Alexandra (nickname Zee) by phone and tells the stories which she types.

It seems the publishers are just not very good at updating the site, and of course may be interested only in books by their company, but he has done others from other companies.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that information. Sorry to hear of his stroke - I didn't know that. Writing by dictation must be very difficult.
What a waste to leave a Bradbury collection idling for a year! What hope does that give other writers of getting their work published?

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alive:
...What a waste to leave a Bradbury collection idling for a year!...

I doubt that it's idling. The wheels of publishing houses turn very slow sometimes.

Although it's not 100% up to date, if you go to my website (specifically the 'Books 2000 - 'page), you will see Ray's main publications of recent years. His last book from the HarperCollins house (the people who own this very message board) was WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARIS in 2009.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sit down before you follow this link. Don't be sipping a drink before you follow this link:

http://www.boston.com/news/nat...ly_out_as_an_e_book/

Anybody else feel a shift in the force?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Hallelujah, it's the end of the world!

P. S. My 2¢ on the internet: it's both. It's the ultimate contradiction. Yes, you waste time you wouldn't otherwise waste, but you save tons of time you would otherwise waste trying to find out the same things in traditional ways. As for the experience, you might as well say movies aren't real because they don't tell a story in the same way as books!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to your webpage Phil. I found some publications there I didn't know existed. Also found the word "chapbook" which I didn't know existed! Big Grin

As for ebooks, well I'll leave them until my eyes give up. I like proper books, and reading them at my own pace, and with my own emphasis. But as long as publishers don't stop printing on paper, I'm happy ebooks exist. Think what an amazing development they must be for the blind. I know there was always a limited amount of stuff recorded for the blind, but now it's become commercially viable, the whole world has opened up to them.
For that reason I say "Welcome ebooks!", and I'm glad Ray has relented. Just imagine being unlucky enough to lose your sight, and being cut off from Ray's work because he didn't like them. I wonder whether he gave that aspect a thought. Or maybe the seven figure sum was enough! Big Grin

I'm Alive!

posted Hide Post
Err... I think I'm confusing ebooks with audio books! Big Grin
Is there anything around here I can crawl under?

I'm Alive!