Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
The Bradbury (a starship) is mentioned in a bit of dialog, in the latest STAR TREK movie.

Smiler

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YAY!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was SO HAPPY when I heard that.

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently it's been around awhile. Listen to the Echoes says Rodenberry came up with it.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Apparently it's been around awhile. Listen to the Echoes says Rodenberry came up with it.

Well, it's certainly been around since STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, and was first used in an episode made while Roddenberry was still involved with production:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Bradbury

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My baby is taking some of her non-core classes in a summer session at University, in Arizona. She is taking English 102 (whatever the heck that is). The first short story assignment was to read is "The Veldt" and then write a paper on dystopian society.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
The first short story assignment was to read is "The Veldt" and then write a paper on dystopian society.

Sometimes I wonder if "The Veldt" is not such a good educational introduction to Bradbury. Reason being, when I encounter people and share my enthusiasm for his writing, this is often the story they mention, and they say something like, "Didn't he write...oh yeah, I had to read that in school." And the conversation will turn to something else.

Spotted this earlier. The Body Electric 'Raybot', a tribute to Ray Bradbury. Better than Crypt Keeper, huh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JePZJHAQzs

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
My baby is taking some of her non-core classes in a summer session at University, in Arizona. She is taking English 102 (whatever the heck that is.)

Matriculate is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I wonder if "The Veldt" is not such a good educational introduction to Bradbury...

I think that would be true whichever story it was. We seem to have a reflex against anything we are forced to read in school. For me, it's Kipling, E.Bronte and Dickens! (Although, for me, it doesn't hold true for Shakespeare, which interests me slightly... nor for Bradbury, who I first encountered in a school class, with THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Sometimes I wonder if "The Veldt" is not such a good educational introduction to Bradbury...

I think that would be true whichever story it was. We seem to have a reflex against anything we are forced to read in school. For me, it's Kipling, E.Bronte and Dickens! (Although, for me, it doesn't hold true for Shakespeare, which interests me slightly... nor for Bradbury, who I first encountered in a school class, with THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN.)

In this case my baby was delighted to be reading a story by an author she had met and broken bread with. (she is going to figure out how to weave that into her paper) Jasmine also learned a new word, dystopian.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:

You were mighty lucky. For me, it was Ellis (Less Than Zero), but not Vonnegut and Bradbury.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today! The 14th Annual Ray Bradbury Dandelion Wine Festival: http://newssun.suntimes.com/ph...n-wine-festival.html

posted Hide Post
This Debussy piece played as I was driving home last night through our rural region. I could not help but think of Dandelion Wine, the boys (Doug, Tom, John Huff, et al) running in Green Town fields of magnificent summer sunlight - and then suddenly into an approaching dusk. I imagined all of their dreams, loves, and fears scurrying about them not quite able, or ready, to settle into their realities.

A real Bradbury presence was in the tone of the music, entitled Danses Sacrée et Profane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mhCJlO7U6E

You think!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451: You think!?

Yes, great to listen to after my overnight work. The piece does lend itself to the imagery you suggest. I'm hopeful that when the DANDELION WINE movie is finally made the score will be just wonderful. Maybe somewhat like the orchestrations by the late Jerry Goldsmith. I liked his music for THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (esp. the opening piece) and his incidental music for episodes of The Waltons tv show.

Be well today, friends. Thank you Ray Bradbury, much love to you!

posted Hide Post
Charlie Meyerson of The Chicago Tribune, from March 4, 1999, a phone interview with Ray Bradbury posted on The Internet Archive.(under 15 min.)
http://archive.org/details/int...ay-bradbury_i4ocTjyO