Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I gave Ray a copy of this book yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Bradbury...id=1273426933&sr=8-1

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading the blurb, it seems this book could come under the heading of "inspired by Ray".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Reading the blurb, it seems this book could come under the heading of "inspired by Ray".

Or opportunist? Wink

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I gave Ray a copy of this book yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Bradbury...id=1273426933&sr=8-1

The subject was explored in a 1979 film, The Clonus Horror, memorable plot well-acted. The major flaw was the guy playing the clone looked nothing like the guy playing the original from which the clone was made. I've often thought, being as they're so into remaking films which don't need to be remade, why not remake this one with lookalike family members, or two actors who seem to have come out of the same mold? For instance, Matt Damon and Sam Worthington are just one of many examples of actors who seem to have been cloned. If the same guy was playing both parts, they'd have to give the clone a tattoo or something to distinguish him.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, your method of making such a film is too easy. What they would ACTUALLY do is blow forty billion dollars on CGI characters (a la Gollum)...

I've never really gone along with cloning stories like this. The reason? We already have human clones. They're called identical twins. And never in human history has anyone ever suggested that we treat someone's identical twin as subhuman or nonhuman. Why would we sudddenly make an exception for a clone produced by a partly artificial method?

Now, if we're talking about WHOLLY artificial replicas (Marionettes Inc, Blade Runner), that's a different matter. I can go along with that!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

I've never really gone along with cloning stories like this. The reason? We already have human clones. They're called identical twins. And never in human history has anyone ever suggested that we treat someone's identical twin as subhuman or nonhuman. Why would we sudddenly make an exception for a clone produced by a partly artificial method?

Ditto. Both my cousins and my sisters are identical twins.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of Ray's oldest and dearest friends is mentioned in today's Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/enterta...0519,0,6836605.story

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Article by Neil Gaiman about Ray from the Times Online UK

http://entertainment.timesonli...s/article7131847.ece

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
My local NPR station, KPCC, ran a piece about it being a must to read Dandelion Wine EVERY Summer.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/o...delion-wine-rewound/

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
On this day in 1961 President Kennedy gave his "the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth" speech.

If only we had made that landing on August 22, 1969 instead of July 10th, as Ray had predicted.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I've officially gone over the top. Attached is the vanity plate for my new car. It may not be that clear due to the glare from the flash but the Volvo logo incorporates the symbol for Mars.

John King Tarpinian

ImageMontagPlate.jpg (221 Kb, 10 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Under History look at the second paragraph. You will notice the name of a paper company that became a well known fictional character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeadWestvaco

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Paper ~ Our favorite fireman! "Montag"

Pencil ~ Guy's tutor-in-hiding, "Faber"
Here: http://blogs.dixcdn.com/woolga...10/01/faber-box6.jpg

(Also, Peter Faber was the tutor behind St. Ignatius Loyola)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beatty was named after the lion tamer.

And here is an ad for the paper.

John King Tarpinian

ImageMontagsWritingPaper.jpg (49 Kb, 5 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Under History look at the second paragraph. You will notice the name of a paper company that became a well known fictional character...

What I find interesting is that Montag was brand name of MEAD. Wasn't Leonard Mead the protagonist of "The Pedestrian"? (He might also have been the name of the protagonist in "The Fireman" before Bradbury revised it as F451 - I will need to check my copy of MATCH TO FLAME to confirm this).

- Phil