Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
fjp451 wrote:
quote:
: We were privileged a couple of years ago to meet and then speak for nearly an hour with Mr. Prichard (at Mr. B's 89th in Pasadena, Freemont Theater). He was very kind to share stories of his career, later performing on stage. Quite a night for a far traveling East Coast family! Unfortunately, very nice photos with all of us in the theater's outer courtyard were, alas, absconded...

But you have your memories and, thankfully, those cannot be stolen (as yet).
I have a number of Mr. Prichard's Bradbury readings, mostly ex-library copies. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Might it be said, "An absconder absconded said photos."?

RE: 1. (verb) abscond, bolt, absquatulate, decamp, run off, go off, make off run away; usually includes taking something or somebody along.

"The thief made off with our silver"; "the accountant absconded with the cash from the safe"

"Absquatulate" is a good word!

That's better! And absquatulate is, without doubt, a very good word!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, The Illustrated Man movie has the record for longest time applying make-up each day, at 20 hours.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
The Illustrated Man movie has the record for longest time applying make-up each day, at 20 hours.

Which left four hours for shooting and sleeping?! If I recollect my cyphering'.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunately for Rod Steiger, there were only a couple of shots where he needed to be tattooed from head to toe!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waste of time, in my opinion.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"They are skin illustrations! Don't you ever call them 'tattoos'!"

(Another RB that could be well interpreted and presented with modern cinema-techniques.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

I enjoy the opening sequence at the lake where you get to see the wake in the water from the helicopter and it's shadow for the overhead shot.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

Sad, isn't it! Actually, the make-up was one of the better elements of the film. Perhaps if they'd just shown the "skin illustrations" for 2 hours it would have been more interesting.

Of course, you realise that if/when a remake is done, they will spend gazillions on CGI-ing the skin illustrations, and forget to order a decent screenplay.

CGI-ing is a good word.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
(Another RB that could be well interpreted and presented with modern cinema-techniques.)

With all the outcry about remakes and how they should make bad old movies good instead of messing with good ones, practically anything of Bradbury's that's ever been filmed is crying for it--particularly this one.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jktI enjoy the opening sequence at the lake where you get to see the wake in the water from the helicopter and it's shadow for the overhead shot.

So you're saying it was bad from start to finish? Personally my favorite was the dog--a refugee from David Copperfield--which the Illustrated Man kept in a sack. Someone should have been indicted for animal cruelty there.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was in today's Los Angeles times. "Saving money by reducing library services is like trying to save a bleeding man by cutting out his heart."

http://www.latimes.com/news/op...0306,0,1193587.story

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
With all the outcry about remakes and how they should make bad old movies good instead of messing with good ones, practically anything of Bradbury's that's ever been filmed is crying for it--particularly this one.

Seconded! Any number of excellent directors are floating about : David Fincher / Ridley Scott /
Guillermo del Toro / Joel & Ethan Coen / etc.

Posts: 5 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 04 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by critter:
Seconded! Any number of excellent directors are floating about : David Fincher / Ridley Scott /
Guillermo del Toro / Joel & Ethan Coen / etc.

The Coens are among RB's favourite filmmakers - he loved RAISING ARIZONA. I'm trying to get an audience with Mr del Toro to interview for my 4E Ackerman doc. Agreed - his look is perfect for a Bradbury story.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the Coens' take on True Grit and would love to see them interpret RB!