Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...He can't abide those snooty New York literary circles, anyway.

No, but I bet he was mighty chuffed (as we say over here) to appear in it when he was an unknown 27 year old struggling writer. "I See You Never" ended up in BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES for the year. Snooty is not to be sniffed at!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Snooty is not to be sniffed at!

You said a snootful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popular British comic character LORD SNOOTY:

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good friend in California sent me a copy of THE NEW YORKER when it was published. While it was in the international postal system, Ray passed away. Yesterday the magazine landed on my doormat.

Ironic that Ray's last published work in his lifetime was a piece titled "Take Me Home".

It's online here.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
The NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams reported he was writing up to the day he died. Think we'd all give a pretty to know what he wrote last!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil for sharing "Take Me Home".

Many beautiful tributes have been written in the last few days. However, Ray Bradbury's own words seem to resonate long past midnight,long past when we are all gone. "Take me Home" is the perfect example of why I have read Ray Bradbury these many years.

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<harvey101blind>
posted
thanks for the link phil !!! i have that eager wonder too dandelion ! what a great man.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.latimes.com/enterta...0620,0,1306035.story

Stephen King's band...The Rock Bottom Remainders.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sitting in the dentist office's waiting room this afternoon. Picked up the CURRENT, July, issue of Real Simple magazine. The have a page on books. What is the first book listed from a section about books that when you first read it it changed your life? Martian Chronicles. Magazines typically have a three month lead time...

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray would have loved this:

http://www.latimes.com/news/lo...0628,0,6029346.story

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
On this day in 1947 "something may have happened" in Roswell, New Mexico.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Triskaidekaphobia is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's easy for YOU to say...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/13/...san-diegos-comic-con

Either listen to the last minute of the broadcast or read the last few paragraphs of the transcript.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
For the life of me I cannot find the online version of a print article from Thursday's L.A. Times featuring Ron Perlman who is at Comic-Con because of Sons of Anarchy and not Hellboy. He hints at his distaste for the way things have morphed. In it he states that Comic-Con has gone from “Bradbury to Barnum.”

I blame the Tribune for the sucky search engine.

John King Tarpinian