Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Although, I would not like it one bit if they told me to get in the car!

...only to find that there was no one in the front seat driving!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, rocket, glad you're OK!

Back in the day--with my first cash money from a real, non-farming job, and I bought a Craig Powerplay 8-track player on time, plus two 8-track tapes: Doobie Bros "Captain & Me," and yes, Steely Dan "Can't Buy a Thrill." Got stopped circling the village square at 2am in my old Mustang; "Reelin' in the Years" at full blast.

The nice deputy gave me a stern warning for this atrocity--"You turn that (expletive) off, or I'm callin' your momma." Naturally, I complied.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Raven, kinda funny because even though I had nothing to hide, that ingrown fear and nervousness was there none the less. I was fortunate.

Fjp., I forgot momentarily about the empty vehicle. What a great story!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why it was a trick question--did the main character talk to anyone, or not? I don't know what the "right" answer was supposed to be--the kid who posed it just left us hanging!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I reread The Pedestrian in hopes of finding the answer. It is an open ended story on several levels. At first it seems that he is talking to the police in the car, at one point Mr. Mead even says "yessir" to the supposed occupant. The harshness and sarcasm of the "policeman's" questions and comments definitely lead one to believe that it is a human person in there. But, after the door of the car opens and he is instructed to get in, the story infers that the car is fully automated and part of a fully automated system in a society virtually without crime, the city's lone robotic police car coldly roaming the empty streets scanning for anything out of the ordinary. I am undecided still and going back and forth on it because at one point, the car says, "Your hands up or we'll shoot." To me, this also could infer that at some link in the chain, there is a warm body sitting in an office somewhere, eating donuts, drinking lukewarm stale coffee, and chainsmoking cigs while reading the printouts and watching the monitor from the remote camera eye. This seems a bit more likely so I guess that's what my take is on it.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen the RBTh version of the story? It may offer RB's intention since he had his hands directly in the production of the episodes.

"Walking. Just Walking!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the RBT, but I don't remember watching that. I'll check it out, thanks fjp.

posted Hide Post
Wow Rocket! Years ago I was a Probation Officer and would ride with the police on Friday and Saturday nights looking out for my probationers getting into mischief. I could write a few stories about what we encountered.

Later I was a Bail Bondsman for 18 years and have a few stories there to tell as well. Hey, you could have always have bonded out. Would you have a gilt edged co-signer though?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Thanks Smiler

You know, you sure are a neat little addition to the sandbox. The new kid, an instant hit, overnight sensation. Where you been hiding all these years?

Didn't the B-52s have an album or a song entitled "Wild Gravity"?

================================================

Myspace kidnapped me, Grasstains. I mean it.
They only recently let me out.

But thank you so much! I have enjoyed my stay here in the sand box, and just so you know ...(you're my favourite) shhh!

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh and its actually a talking heads song.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Here's a fun thing for the "miscellany" thread:

1. Pick a number between 1 and 10 (but don't tell me what it is!)
2. Multiply your number times 9.
3. Add the digits of the product together.
4. Subtract 5.
5. Now, assign a corresponding Letter to the number you have, e.g. 1=A, 2=B, etc.
6. Now, whatever letter you have, pick a Country whose name begins with that letter.
7. Now, take the last letter in that country's name and pick an Animal whose name begins with that letter.
8. Finally, take the last letter of the animal's name and pick a Colour whose name begins with that letter.

Now, if you've followed the directions correctly, you'll probably have the Country, Animal, and Colour that I'll post under the "Resources" forum....!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you could definitely tell some whoppers biplane, and I'll further bet that your an accomplished storyteller! Isn't that a lost art. I don't think it will ever totally die and for all we know someday, we may be once again sitting round the campfire while a travelling gypsy sort tells us stories in exchange for food and a warm bed...

B-Two, waiting...and waiting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Rocky,
I've posted the answer under "Resources"/"Do Anything Creative"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody seen Ray's play "Leviathan '99" now playing. I received a special invitation from the Planetary Society for a special evening presentation of the play and reception with Ray for $100 per. Could be a great envening.

http://www.fremontcentretheatre.com/

Dear Planetary Society Member,

Ray Bradbury invites you to join him at a very special
event on Friday, March 2, 2007 -- a private, benefit
performance of his play, "Leviathan '99," at the
Fremont Centre Theatre in South Pasadena.

At the reception following the show, you'll have a
chance to mingle with Ray and Robert Picardo, the
holographic doctor on "Star Trek: Voyager;" and
Planetary Society founders Lou Friedman and
Bruce Murray.

The Fremont Centre Theatre is an intimate venue
and we are able to sell only 50 seats, so all members
of the audience will have the opportunity to meet
Ray, along with many other friends and
fellow members.

The exclusive tickets are $100 per person, and
include both the performance and the reception.

To reserve your place at this special event,
please call Linda Wong at 626-793-5100.

Proceeds from this event will benefit
The Planetary Society's programs.

Friday, March 2, 2007
8:00 PM

Fremont Centre Theatre
1000 Fremont Avenue
South Pasadena, CA

Join us for an unforgettable evening.

Questions about this special event?
Email Susan Lendroth at
susan.lendroth@planetary.org

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peter, if only I could afford a ticket to LA and a rental car to Pasadena. Wow, what an event! I hope that you can attend.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post