Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The Old Religion.

That simple, ancient joy of paper.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A true "Map-person" of Bradburian status!!

RE: "Finally, there’s that simple, ancient joy of paper. The joy one derives from paging through a crisp hardcover book instead of switching on a Kindle. From doing the crossword in ink, on newsprint. . .

This object—painstakingly sculpted by a lone, impractical fellow—is a triumph of indie over corporate. Of analog over digital. Of quirk and caprice over templates and algorithms. It is delightful to look at. Edifying to study. And it may be the last important paper map ever to depict our country.

Surely that’s worth some space on the wall of your den?"
-------------------------------------------------
I just put this on my "Christmas Wish List"!

An RB connection: Mr. B's childhood hometown of Waukegan, IL, just at the end of pg. 1 text. Nice!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maps...and then this showed up: Globes!
http://www.boredpanda.com/hand...om-bespoke-bellerby/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone interested in my broken leg?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

We sure are! Tell us all about it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
A true "Map-person" of Bradburian status!!

RE: "Finally, there’s that simple, ancient joy of paper. The joy one derives from paging through a crisp hardcover book instead of switching on a Kindle. From doing the crossword in ink, on newsprint. . .

This object—painstakingly sculpted by a lone, impractical fellow—is a triumph of indie over corporate. Of analog over digital. Of quirk and caprice over templates and algorithms. It is delightful to look at. Edifying to study. And it may be the last important paper map ever to depict our country.

Surely that’s worth some space on the wall of your den?"
-------------------------------------------------
I just put this on my "Christmas Wish List"!

An RB connection: Mr. B's childhood hometown of Waukegan, IL, just at the end of pg. 1 text. Nice!

The $300 framed version would go on my list but I don't know anyone who'd spend that on me so it'll probably come out of my wallet some day!

Re: "The joy one derives from paging through a crisp hardcover book...": Mr B touches on why this is so important in the statue documentary currently being edited.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/46472293

"Everything that you touch teaches you something. So you touch it without knowing why you're touching it, and the more you handle it... And then it says to you 'wait a minute - I want to tell you something about yourself.' So, you love this, you love that, you love something else. Ok, that's revelation, isn't it?"

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

We sure are! Tell us all about it!

Thanks! "Just the facts, ma'am," or the full orchestration with the five-part harmony?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today was the first day since breaking my leg on December 3 that the pain abated enough for me to prepare to work on cards and presents. A friend went to the Post Office for a shipping box for an out of town gift, and I actually went to floor level to take things out of boxes which I had not dared to do previously.

posted Hide Post
-
quote:
"Everything that you touch teaches you something. So you touch it without knowing why you're touching it, and the more you handle it... And then it says to you 'wait a minute - I want to tell you something about yourself.' So, you love this, you love that, you love something else. Ok, that's revelation, isn't it?

DS: This is pure Zen of Ray Bradbury . . . which is needed more with today's education of our young people. The days of "hands on" are slipping away - as Mildred Montag's screens have become ever-present.

During my HS classroom teaching days, RB units inevitably culminated in a project of such dimensions: Dandelion Wine bottle-shaped posters loaded with collages of scenes from the book, F451 Banned Books exhibits and Mechanical Hounds made in art and shop classes, Illustrated Men paintings always visually amazing, library display case presentations with artwork and dozens of RB books with their wonderful covers, photos and artifacts from Mars, classroom re-enactments of favorite passages (a la Col. Freeleigh, crossing the Ravine, Beatty lecturing Montag, and so many more.

Over the years, Mr. B was sent packages of all sizes, with a myriad of items enclosed that reflected his influence on my young readers - - and me, as an educator. (To this very day, I still cross paths with former students of mine who recall with true pleasure such activities.)

Perfect passage, Doug!!
"So, you love this, you love that, you love something else. Ok, that's revelation, isn't it?"

In retrospect, this RB quote is the essence of why Mr. Bradbury so generously communicated with students, their teacher and his family in rural NNY -- LOVE!

Merry Christmas to All!
f

posted Hide Post
Unless someone gives me a really good reason not to, I plan to subscribe to Life Alert for Mom and myself within the next few days if they are open. You have 24 hours to post advice and suggestions. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Followup to a Twilight Zone moment in which I found Earl Hamner on my cell phone contacts:

The Facebook iPhone plot thickens. Today I went through all my contacts to make sure people who needed to be on were listed correctly, people who needed not to be on were deleted, and to correct mistakes made while importing from my old phone--the iPhone seems to have reversed most of the first and last names which I had to fix.

Obviously in my Facebook contact info I included my cell phone number, yet so many others must do the same. I have 210 Facebook friends, NOTHING NEAR 210 numbers on my cell phone, and some cell phone contacts are not Facebook friends. Yet there are several, including Earl Hamner​, who can have been added ONLY due to Facebook--I have not tried to contact these people by phone nor asked them for their numbers! I left them on, because how cool is it to have Earl Hamner in your contacts, and I had no reason to delete the others although I have no reason to call them either.

The strangest thing concerns one friend who passed away who I decided to keep as a Facebook contact (because sometimes you like to write on someone's timeline when you think of them) but decided to delete from my phone because obviously I'm not going to call him. The entry for him I made myself, I was able to easily delete, but the one which must have come via Facebook COULD NOT be deleted! Apparently I have to unfriend him to remove him from my phone contacts! Yet why does this apply to him and a few others, and not to hundreds of other Facebook friends be they living or dead?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! "Just the facts, ma'am," or the full orchestration with the five-part harmony?

I've been to NYC for Christmas, and not able to check posts here. Surprise us!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the invite, you asked for it!

As for what happened, I was walking down the back steps when I slipped on a patch of ice and fell with most of my weight on my left ankle, resulting in a triple fracture and double displacement. I was able to crawl inside because my neighbor Dawn White and two of her kids heard me scream and opened the back door. Rode by ambulance to Dayton General Hospital and then underwent two hours of surgery at St. Mary's in Walla Walla performed by Dr. Willard.

Getting back to my own bed is simply not possible for two to three months at least. I can't get to the part of the house where it is due to stairs.

I was in St. Mary's Hospital in Walla Walla from December 3 till December 7, then transferred by Public Transportation bus to Dayton General Hospital where I stayed till December 11. Due to greatly exaggerating how well I was doing and feeling, I got sent home on the 11th. The same night my sister's friend collected a scooter for me from a rental company--for which we are having to pay full price as my insurance won't cover it. I was doing fine until a short while later when while slowly backing through the kitchen doorway the thing just fell apart. I managed to grab the door frame and hop to a dining chair, and Mom collected the pieces and got them out of the way. At any other time I could have been severely hurt.

I didn't bother taking a picture of the pieces as I assumed the problem was just a loose screw or something. Another friend of my sister's collected it and saw that the metal was actually ripped. One of them got a picture, for which I'll ask to add to my gallery. They took the pieces back to the company, shoved them up the rental person's nose, and got another. The cheapskates gave us no discount or anything!

I did decorate the second scooter.

Until this came I was stuck for a day or two in the wheelchair, but am now getting around again. I was in a splint from December 3 to December 17 when I got a cast.

I was hoping to be more mobile then but the surgeon said not to put any weight on it for a month and on January 20 "we'll see." I posted the A. A. Milne poem "Hoppity" on my Facebook page, because like Christopher Robin if I stopped hopping, I couldn't go anywhere!

After getting the cast, I could leave the house, cautiously and with help. I can't drive until after the "we'll see." Thanks to helpful friends, I was able to attend church for the children's pageant and the Christmas Eve service. Friends also visited. When I told Mom, "Kris from church is coming over," she said, "Winston Churchill?" so that's Kris's new name!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Dr Willard of Walla Walla. That could be a medical drama on the TV!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Dr Willard of Walla Walla. That could be a medical drama on the TV!

Yeah, but his first name would need to be Wally, not Kirk!