Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Biplane1,
It will be interesting to see if your weight loss improves your sleep apnea.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, just great on the healthier you. "-16" is impressive. Remember, one of the best ways to keep that fitness going and the lbs. gone is "Walking. Just walking!"

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank, you are so right about the walking. And now that my right knee is feeling better I am walking more comfortably. My daily glucosomene has been helping. And now that we have moved into a new office building it is a longgggg walk to the rest room. I am not kidding you. But all for the good.

Braling II, too bad about the cranial departure of hair on your part. I, too, am getting thin and now, every two weeks, have my wife run over my skull with an 1/8th inch attachment on the clipper.

And Chapter 31, it will be interesting to see about the sleep apnea, but now I am so used to sleeping with a machine, I think that I will always be putting on a mask.

One thing for sure, both my wife's and my blood sugar has gone down and we have a lot more energy--most of the time.

I am amazed that Ray gets around to all of his activties with a walker and wheel chair and keeps such great spirits. But, in my conversations with him, he states that he really isn't into any pain.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, When I lived in Oregon, it was a longgggg walk to the restroom, especially at night in the rain!

Oh, and as for being follicularly-challenged, remember what Shakespeare said: "What the Lord hath denied a man in hair, He hath given him in wit!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Shakesphaire was a hairlarious guy.

"Et tu, Brute?" It cracks me up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of long walks in the out of doors, how many of you remember the old "Outhouse" which could be either a one or a two holer if you really knew the person well. I remember the "Honey Dippers" coming along at night cleaning the receptacle out of the rather odiferous contents.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...one of the best ways to keep that fitness going and the lbs. gone is "Walking. Just walking!"

You are so right! It's the third best form of exercise. Swimming is the second. As for the first, you'll have to google Cary Grant's comment on that, as this is a family board!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
So, Phil, about 50mi/80km as the crow flies. Stop into the Lancaster for a cool beverage next time you may venture into the neighborhood (put it on my tab)!

Thanks, fjp, I'll do that.

Braling II i absolutely right, Stan Laurel was lying when he said he was from the south of London. He actually came from a northern English town called Ulverston, which is pretty far north. There is a L&H museum there. I've never been, but intend to one day.

By the way (trying to tie the miscellany together), Willy Shakespeare was very close to being a Brummie as well. Stratford upon Avon is close to Birmingham. To learn how to pronounce English as Shakespeare might have done, one should learn to speak Brummie. There is a delightful guide here. I recommend that everyone (particularly Americans) should have a go.

And anyway, wasn't Miscellany the wife of Jock and mother of JR?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil! Oi quoit enjoyed that!
I love the fact that local accents have remained strong, mostly in the North. The Mancunian Salford accent differs a lot from the Stretford one, though they're only about two miles apart! This is amazing to most Americans, especially Californians who often travel 50 miles to work. You should hear my Mancunian relatives putting on a Scouse accent!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed - Oy kwoyt loik it, as well!

That'll teach those Americans some royt proper grammer!

And furthermore:

http://www.geordie.org.uk/

http://www.clyde-valley.com/glasgow/dialect.htm

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a favourite:

"Awnaw-snaw" - Oh dear. Wintry conditions are upon us.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This is fun!

"Izzatsatetook ?" - Is this seat taken?

"Nawzatsatesnotook" - No.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Another fun read is "Rules, Britannia" by Toni Hargis. Her site:
http://www.rulesbritannia.com/

She tells me she's working on a similar book from the perspective of a Brit visiting the U.S.

Thaddle probbubbly be priddy gud tuh read too, doncha think? Will hafta waydun see.

posted Hide Post
Arf arf!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other day I pulled/rescued a waterlogged copy of One More For The Road from the garbage can at work. I released this book into the wild this morning on a bench in front of my store and posted it on Bookcrossing.com. Someone got it because later in the day, it was gone. I hope they enjoy it. I never before noticed that on the books cover picture is a roadsign with the number 451 on it. I wonder where that is, probably somewhere hot.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post