This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/7141052362

31 October 2009, 12:25 AM
dandelion
Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Dare I say, hinkey is a good word?

You can say it, but it sounded pretty hinkey back when they used it on Adam-12.
31 October 2009, 01:30 PM
philnic
quote:
Sir Dracula

Sir Christopher Lee is, of course, an old friend of Ray Bradbury's. He played the Captain in the original BBC radio production of Leviathan '99, and was also instrumental in getting the BBC to produce it.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
31 October 2009, 05:09 PM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Sir Dracula

Sir Christopher Lee is, of course, an old friend of Ray Bradbury's. He played the Captain in the original BBC radio production of Leviathan '99, and was also instrumental in getting the BBC to produce it.

Sir Christopher is also on-board to do the voice-overs on the newest US radio play editions of The Twilight Zone.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
31 October 2009, 07:05 PM
jkt
Ray has a lovely Halloween day, he did his traditonal book signing at noon in Pasadena, CA. Tonight, he is spending the evening handing out candy to ghosts and gobles who dare knock on his door. Ray has a special guest with him who played the Dust Witch in the original stage production of Something Wicked. (forgive me but I forget Eliza's last name.)

John King Tarpinian
15 November 2009, 12:32 PM
jkt
I expect that I am going to regret it but tonight I'm going to watch the remake of The Prisoner on AMC.

John King Tarpinian
15 November 2009, 04:55 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I expect that I am going to regret it but tonight I'm going to watch the remake of The Prisoner on AMC.

I'm DVRing it for later. Too late for me to stay up.

"Live Forever!"
18 November 2009, 06:56 AM
fjp451
Great article -if not previously posted...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.co...or-ray-bradbury.html

...and the follow up comments are equally enjoyable.
19 November 2009, 02:25 AM
Doug Spaulding
Maybe they should get the Martians to help push!

"Live Forever!"
24 November 2009, 08:19 AM
jkt
Things to ponder while spending Thursday with your relatives and/or in-laws:

http://www7.taosnet.com/ebear/useless.html

John King Tarpinian
24 November 2009, 11:49 AM
Doug Spaulding
Factotum is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
24 November 2009, 01:52 PM
jkt
Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species, was first published on 24 November 1859, one-hundred fifty years ago.

John King Tarpinian
30 November 2009, 07:13 PM
jkt
Courtesy of Chaos Manor:

New Verdict on Martian Fossils
December 1st, 2009
Electron microscope photo of structures in Martian meteorite.
Did an asteroid impact on the surface of Mars eject fossilized bacteria into space on a 16 million year trip that ended in the Allan Hills of Antarctica?

That’s the theory advanced by scientists after using an electron microscope to analyze features of a Martian meteorite.

Skeptics were unconvinced that the micro structures were fossilized life when identical claims were first published in 1996, but the UK Times indicates further studies have strengthened the original interpretation:

Nasa scientists have produced the most compelling evidence yet that bacterial life exists on Mars.

It showed that microscopic worm-like structures found in a Martian meteorite that hit the Earth 13,000 years ago are almost certainly fossilised bacteria. The so-called bio-morphs are embedded beneath the surface layers of the rock, suggesting that they were already present when the meteorite arrived, rather than being the result of subsequent contamination by Earthly bacteria….

According to scientists, the meteorite was broken off the surface of Mars by the impact of an asteroid, and reached Earth after floating through space for about 16 million years. It landed in Allan Hills in Antarctica. Scientists were able to trace the meteorite back to Mars, as its chemical composition matched the relative proportions of various gases measured in observations of the atmosphere of Mars made by the Viking spacecraft in the 1970s.

A scientist who peer reviewed the new findings and works on magnetic bacteria said, “One indication there was life on ancient Mars are these particular magnetite crystals in the meteorite that look like they came out of magnetic bacteria. … [The] magnetic bacteria make some very unique shapes of magnetite crystals. And one of the organisms we work with on Earth makes particles that look virtually identical to what we see from Mars in the meteorite.”

John King Tarpinian
01 December 2009, 07:40 PM
Salamander
It never ceases to amaze me how people figure what rocks are from Mars. Even tiny little scraps of granite looking pebbles are exclaimed as finds from Mars. I've even seen ads for bits of rocks, smaller than a pebble, something of the size of a grain of rice, lauded as a fragment from Mars. I guess you have to rub elbows with those really smart Mars meteorite guys to know something the rest of us don't.

See: http://www.meteorites.tv/10-ma...-meteorites-for-sale
02 December 2009, 03:26 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
It never ceases to amaze me how people figure what rocks are from Mars...

Maybe some of them bear the inscription "Ylla was here"...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
02 December 2009, 08:43 PM
libRArY
When I see news items like those around Tiger Woods, and how bad judgment he had, and the reprecussions on his family, I think of cultural icons like Hugh Hefner, and think, What must he think about himself if everyone thinks adultery is so bad.
Probably not much, I'd say.