Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Top tip: don't take a sabbatical to these shores during the Autumn or Winter months. Sometimes it spits, occasionally it sprinkles, but it constantly precipitates.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...thereby producing "England's green and pleasant land"!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Top tip: don't take a sabbatical to these shores during the Autumn or Winter months.

Ah, but Christ-mass/Yuletide/Midwinter in England! I think I would risk it. But then, I'm an Anglophile!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...thereby producing "England's green and pleasant land"!

Indeed, friend cybernaut. As the songwriter said, "...England's greenest hills..."

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the spirit of the season:

http://www.starz.com/features/christmasstory/

And, for that matter:

http://angryalien.com/1204/wonderful_lifebuns.asp

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If the students get wind of these (no doubt, already have!), it will put Cliff, Spark, and Monarch out of business.

Hey, Philnic! A few nights ago I was reading some selections from a copy of The Stories of Ray Bradbury I have had a number of years. I had flipped to the front to check the copyright and realized it was an autographed (Nov. 21, 1990), 3rd printing edition. As I was going through the pages to find Medicine for the Melancholy (per a few comments here a while back), a card fell into onto my lap.

"Lancaster Court Hotel," Sussex Gardens, Lancaster Gate, London. There is a map on the back of the business card (Paddington Station, Hyde Park, Bond St. Station, etc.)
Your neck of the woods?!

I never realized the card was there. So, as a used copy, this one has been around a bit!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Phil was a Brummie (or Pompeyan?), anyway, not a Southerner...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pompeyan (Pompeyite? Portsmuthian is the official word, I believe) by birth and upbringing. That makes me a southerner. (You can't get MUCH further south than Portsmouth.)***

Brummie (ish) by adoption.

But London is close to both. Everything is close in England.

*** I am reminded of the Laurel & Hardy scene in Way Out West:
WOMAN: I'm from the south.
OLLIE: I'M from the south.
STAN: I'm from the south, too.
OLLIE (skeptical): South of WHAT, sir?
STAN: South of London.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardon the error. I spent all my time in the UK in North Wales, Northumberland, and Lancashire.
Best beer and cheese in the world!
Interesting, though, what one can find stuck between the pages of a book.
Stan, by the way, was really from the North. I love those two guys, as does Mr. B.

posted Hide Post
So, Phil, about 50mi/80km as the crow flies. Stop into the Lancaster for a cool beverage next time you may venture into the neighborhood (put it on my tab)!

Simply beautiful:
http://bside.phillyfests.com/images/films/Laurel%20and%20Hardy/m/img.jpg

A few years back, I sent Mr. B a copy of "Laurel & Hardy Music Box," by Ronnie Hazelhurst & His Orchestra (2 cd collection, 34 instrumentals songs from their movie scores). He sent a note back saying he loved the music and was moved by the gesture and the memories the music brought back for him. What a guy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, I think I need that CD. Is it out of print? Doing a Borders search I found "Songs and Sketches from the Hal Roach Films", but it's one CD with 21 tracks...

posted Hide Post
OK, SD - http://my.opera.com/xyzcosmonaut/blog/show.dml/252778

Scroll down and the collection is pictured at the bottom of the screen. I am searching for a lead to where it may still be available. I remember sending for it via a L&H magazine or newsletter (maybe from England?!?). Let me see what I can dig up. (Emissary -NO!)

Otherwise, maybe I can get something to you.

posted Hide Post
Much obliged, pard.

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, rude, come on now, you're just jealous that I have lost 16 pounds! Unfortunately I just found five of them. No, just klidding, so far so good. A little fluxuation here and there, but definately going down.

My wife and I will be attending Ray's play, F 451, being produced by the Gable Stage, at their next to last night run.

It will be interesting to see what differences, if any, that there might be in delivery, staging, etc., etc., from opening night. I will see if I can get a hold of Ray so that a couple of the cast members may speak to him.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, it's been my policy for years now to try to offset any weight gain with a corresponding loss of hair!