Ray Bradbury Forums
Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/7141052362

03 June 2009, 01:53 AM
theoctobercountry
Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
And in the spirit of sarcasm... Heh, heh, heh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...w&eurl=http%3A%2F%2F
03 June 2009, 11:33 AM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...even I have yet managed this feat...

Then again, even when in California you were too busy for 'the tour.' :-}

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
03 June 2009, 01:05 PM
philnic
I know. How does that song go? Regrets, I have a few...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
03 June 2009, 03:54 PM
Phil Knox
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:

Too bad she don't even have a clue what she's talking about. Non-believers likely find it funny.

03 June 2009, 06:22 PM
Nico
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
quote:

Too bad she don't even have a clue what she's talking about. Non-believers likely find it funny.

I agree with you, Phil. It could have been an entertaining satire poking fun but was instead... quite inaccurate with a dash of mens rea.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com
04 June 2009, 12:59 AM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:Congratulations, Doug Spaulding, on returning home! And how amazing to get into the archive - not even I have yet managed this feat.

I've been to and photographed the archive but am not allowed to display the photos, so Donn, Ray, and I are the only ones with copies.
07 June 2009, 07:35 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Folks, I'm writing to you from Waukegan, Illinois.

Photos here.

"Live Forever!"
07 June 2009, 07:47 PM
Nard Kordell
Beautiful, Doug!!!

Very nice shots of everything important. That stained glass window is the original. The original sidewalks used to be around the houses, but were pulled up several years ago with the stamped metal badges telling the early year that were originally poured. I had a variety of photos on my old web site, since closed temporarily.

Take care of yourself while in Chicagoland. If you are downtown, visit the Art Institute on Michigan Ave. It was on those front steps, I understand, that Ray heard that The Martian Chronicles as purchased by a publisher.

Also, check out the Moody Bible Institute campus:largest Bible school in the Midwest. Up on Chicago Avenue and LaSalle. Great library. (apx. 800 north LaSalle)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,
07 June 2009, 08:53 PM
theoctobercountry
Man, Doug, I am never going to get over how extremely ugly the new library is. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING when they designed this building?

I gather that the old library is still unused? (It was empty when I was there many years ago.) A pity, because it looks like the exterior is still in fairly good shape.
07 June 2009, 08:57 PM
theoctobercountry
Oh, and very cool that the inspiration for the famous "strawberry window/Man Upstairs window" is still there, though in very sad shape (needs restoration). But surely the centre section at one time was one large sheet of clear glass? I can't figure out what on earth is going on, there; don't remember the window looking quite like that previously....

I seem to remember that there was an identical window at the foot of the stairs as well, which now appears to be gone. (Though I couldn't say for sure; have no idea where my photographs of the house are filed, at the moment.) Man, if that was the case, I wonder what they did with it; to me such a thing would have great value!
07 June 2009, 09:06 PM
Phil Knox
quote:
Man, Doug, I am never going to get over how extremely ugly the new library is. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING when they designed this building?

You gotta be kidding, right? You don't know who Carnegie is?
Carnegie with the super big paycheck created libraries all across America before you were a twinkle in the eye of a dust particle. If it were not for Carnegie, Bradbury wouldn't have had a library to stuff his imagination. It was a beautiful building in its time.

With all the funds donated to reconstruct the building into a children's library, nothing has happened as of yet. In its last make-over, it was a serviceman's social center.

08 June 2009, 01:30 AM
philnic
Mr Knox, octobercountry was referring to the NEW library, not the old Carnegie one.

Doug, wonderful photos, covering all the major Bradbury landmarks. Of course, the (old) library isn't nearly as grand as the one we saw in SWTWC - and the ravine isn't nearly as spooky as what we read in DW. But I'm sure, come October, after sundown, Coogar, Dark and the Lonely One can still be heard...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
08 June 2009, 08:06 AM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Mr Knox, octobercountry was referring to the NEW library, not the old Carnegie one.

Doug, wonderful photos, covering all the major Bradbury landmarks. Of course, the (old) library isn't nearly as grand as the one we saw in SWTWC - and the ravine isn't nearly as spooky as what we read in DW. But I'm sure, come October, after sundown, Coogar, Dark and the Lonely One can still be heard...

All we have to contend with here in Los Angeles are the sounds of two delivery men taking a piano up a flight of stairs.

John King Tarpinian
08 June 2009, 10:18 AM
jkt
Sixty years ago today, George Orwell published 1984.

http://www.independent.co.uk/a...ears-on-1698619.html

John King Tarpinian
08 June 2009, 04:21 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I'm writing to you from Waukegan, Illinois.

Oh, I almost forgot, just after arriving in Green Town, I called Ray to tell him that I had just seen Donn and the archives earlier that day, and was now in his beloved hometown. He was very animated, asking me to send him some photos, and asking when I was coming back to LA. "I'll try", I said.

October 17th would be a good time to go back to Green Town.

"Live Forever!"