Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
philnic, US has been considering placing statin drugs into the municipal drinking water to prevent high cholesterol. Years back, it was fluoride to prevent tooth decay. But in California, every known drug to mankind is found in regular drinking water today, even after filtration, due to people taking a pee while on pharmaceutical medication.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I think not.

It's the chlorine they add.

Chlorine, when added to water, forms Trihalomethanes. In 1992, the American Journal of Public Health published a report that showed a 15% to 35% increase in certain types of cancer in people who consume chlorinated water. This report also stated that many of these effects were due to showering in chlorinated water. The National Cancer Institute estimates cancer risks for people who consume chlorinated water to be 93% higher than for people who do not.

Even the non snake oil salespersons say that.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/environ/chlor-eng.php

Doug, Die of a virus in the water instead?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I filter my water. Too much chlorine. And the dangers of fluoride are becoming known.
However...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

evian.bmp (230 Kb, 2 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Image20050201133300Naive.jpg (14 Kb, 12 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Naive

That's what I say - bottled water is way overpriced. I filter as well.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
philnic, US has been considering placing statin drugs into the municipal drinking water to prevent high cholesterol. Years back, it was fluoride to prevent tooth decay. But in California, every known drug to mankind is found in regular drinking water today, even after filtration, due to people taking a pee while on pharmaceutical medication.

Uh, wow.
Like, far out, man!
I mean, I'm all... y'know?

posted Hide Post
It's your trip, man.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 100th Anniversary celebration of William's Bookshop in San Pedro, CA, a suberb of L.A. was a nice little event. This is the oldest bookshop in Los Angeles. The theatre across from the bookshop showed Something Wicked and Ice Cream Suit. Mr. B signed books at the theatre and at the bookshop. The mayor attended the event. Due to something called rain the attendance was lighter than was expected. Yes, I know what we call rain is what the rest of you call drizzle or mist.

One nice thing was that a man, in his 30s, came up to Mr. B to say that he learned to read from Ray's books. More specifically, he was the first person in his family to learn to read, not read books, but read. (I may regret posting this but he did have a southern accent.)

Doug Spaulding was also at the event and I hope that he'll be able to post a photo or two.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Due to something called rain the attendance was lighter than was expected. Yes, I know what we call rain is what the rest of you call drizzle or mist.

You know that this Floridian must comment on that: Today, while driving thru patches of "rain", I noticed the traffic slowed considerably, causing slight congestion in spots. I said to myself, "self, I know this isn't because of this mist, this barely a sprinkle, surely!"

I think it was. You west-coasters don't know from rain. Or sweet tea.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
[ You west-coasters don't know from rain. Or sweet tea.

Mid-west-coasters, maybe.

Yet, even the Santa Cruz Mountains in places like the San Lorenzo Valley the annual rainfall averages between 70 and 80 inches, though it's been less than 50 the last 2 years.

As for the North-west coast, check out the Olympic Peninsula. Very interesting phenomenon up there called the Rain Shadow, giving folks on the East side of the Olympic range in places like Sequim, Port Townsend, and Chimicum only 15-20 inches of rain every year. However on the West side, in the actual rain forest and places like Forks, the yearly average is well over 120 inches per year!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Mid-west-coasters, maybe.

Of course, Mr Braling is right - I misspoke. I meant to say the (southern) west-coasters.

Another interesting note is that Florida (the sunshine state [that's a joke]) averages more rainfall per year than Washington!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Another interesting note is that Florida (the sunshine state [that's a joke]) averages more rainfall per year than Washington!

I understand it rains in the summer months, in Florida? What's that all about? As a boy I always wondered what was going on when a TV show or movie would show people setting out their blankets or BBQ and all of a sudden it would start raining on the 4th of July. That's just madness!!!!! Big Grin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I understand it rains in the summer months, in Florida? What's that all about? As a boy I always wondered what was going on when a TV show or movie would show people setting out their blankets or BBQ and all of a sudden it would start raining on the 4th of July. That's just madness!!!!!

You understand correctly - only in the summer. Every summer afternoon at three o'clock sharp comes the downpour. It usually lasts for only a short time, then the sun comes out and dries up the floodwaters (and turns it into a steambath - think Fahrenheit 90 and a hundred percent humidity).

That's one thing I love about SoCal: you don't have to worry that your summer activity will be rained out. Hiking, beach, whatever - it's all good.

"Live Forever!"