Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
CHANGING THE SUBJECT once again...

"BEST-BUY' the electronics super-store, announced earlier today that they 'will not' use the term 'Merry Christmas' in any of their in store advertising or general advertising thru TV, radio and newsprint. The official reason is that they do not want to be disrespectful to other religions.

And so goes the country I once knew... [They will continue to accept Christmas generated dollars, however.]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And so goes??? It's been like this, and not just in this country, for decades. In contrast to BESTBUY'S decision, Wal*Mart has decided to suspend their companywide policy of NOT telling their customers "Merry Christmas" because of fear of losing $$$ from the religious right. So, perk up.

Have you never seen a sign wishing you a "Merry X-mas" with the word "christ" removed? Nothing new. Carry on, there's nothing to see here, folks.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains: Ah, but at least the 'X" stood for Christ in the Greek.

The dominoes continue to fall | | | | | \ \ _ _ _

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Kordell is right. Xmas is actually an ancient abbreviation with the X meaning Christ.

It in no way has ever inferred "X-ing out Jesus".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, I would have commented earlier but have been busy. Your shots are awesome and Mrs. biplane1 agrees. What a telescope you have. I have an idea that it is NOT a $59.95 model from K-Mart.

Very nice! And especially the last shot with Mercury showing very prominently across the surface of the sun.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Michael. I am always in awe under the heavens. Its a Meade LX200 go-to telescope and it has a 10,000 object database in it including planets. I paid a couple thousand for it used in 2000. I have a larger one that is 12.5" Dobsonian. It has to be moved and pointed strictly manually using only a telrad sight so I must and do know the night sky very well in all seasons. I am particularly amazed when I capture pictures using my digital camera of transits, lunar, and solar eclipses. After downloading and looking at it onscreen, I think, "my God, that's a real planet! It looks so tiny too in front of the sun. Thank you again for your always kind words. It is apparent that you are a true gentleman in every sense of the word!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one hates war more than a Marine. That’s why they fight so well.

Just ran into two young sprouts who are scheduled to enlist in a week. I’ll wager that in twelve months they will be in harms way.

“Come away, O human child…For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.” – W.B. Yeats

From the halls of Montezuma,
To the shores of Tripoli,
From Keh Sanh to Faluja--
Whooyah!

Semper Fi, boys. You’ll soon be men.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
April Witch! It doesn't necessary make me cry, but it definitely leaves me enchanted. And the Sailor Home from the Sea is another. There actually is a piece of poetry Bradbury wrote, that I came across years ago. I can't recall the name, but it made me cry, and cry!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Ah, but at least the 'X" stood for Christ in the Greek."

"Xmas is actually an ancient abbreviation with the X meaning Christ."

"It in no way has ever inferred 'X-ing out Jesus'."

My mom always said that it was just a sneaky way for retailers to help us forget about the real meaning of the holiday and what it was we were supposed to be celebrating. Mom was wrong? My world is shattered.

Nard is my new mom.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your mom was right, grasstains.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains!

SON!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
grasstains!

SON!

Or DAUGHTER!

(I don't know much about grasstains, just applying logic.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that grasstains in actuality is Darth Vader but I cannot be certain at this time...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picture me being a frog. Nobody ever asks a frog for its gender. Personally I see myself as being like a big furry pet cat, your houseguests often assume it's a girl or a boy (and they're often wrong) but rarely do they flip it over on it's back to make sure. You'd probably have to ask them to leave if they did.

posted Hide Post
Okay, another conspiracy theory shot to bits. From reading the official White House transcripts and watching the unbleeped BBC feed of Bush's speech from Wednesday I've reached the conclusion that the BLEEPING was simply an inadvertant misque by a clumsy technician. According to the evidence the BLEEPED material is the words, "Al-Queda will have a safe haven". That was sandwiched between, "He said (Cheney)", and "if we don't 'stay the course'".

However, the clumsy technician hasn't been seen since Wednesday night.....