Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What a GREAT website for looking at 3D photos of deep space.

These are all something like stereograms, more like the old 3D views with the double photos. You cross your eyes to see the 3D experience.

Go to "new" in yellow box at the top of the page and find dozens and dozens of photos of stars in 3D. Click on the photos to enlarge for a better view.

http://pro.tok2.com/~aq6a-ink/ms/usbfr.htm

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the Ray Bradbury Pandemonium Theatre Company actors, Robert Kerr, recently taped an episode of The Ghost Whisperer. Last week, he was in a cafe/coffee shop scene sitting and reading...reading Summer Morning Summer Night. Now all you married male fans of Mr. B has an excuse to watch Jennifer Love Hewlett. Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Ghost Whisperer

For this Friday night?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Ghost Whisperer

For this Friday night?

He's not sure. Robert is a regular extra on the set. In the one I'm talking about he is sitting outside but Jennifer is inside so it may be hard to see the book, much less the actor.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy All Hallows Day!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, Yippie! I can hardly wait for this movie to open. I think we could do better on a 2 dollar budget.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/christmasonmarstheflaminglips/

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything, anything posted lately that is.

___

Was just thinking about how many situations we may find ourselves in where we have absolutely no idea of the importance, the meaning, or the weight it may have in history. I looked at an ad for NRWInvest, a German company, in a recent TIME magazine. There, a photo of two people hugging robots at the Bielefeld University in North Rhine-Westphalia. What made it interesting for me was the robots were named ASIMO. Asimo, like in Isaac Asimov, for which these new high tech robots are named. The same womanizing rascal that always had a blond or brunette hanging off his arms, at SF cons? That little short boisterous fellow whom I never really cared too much to talk with, or have a book signed by? Yep. But why ASIMO? Why not CAPEK? Wasn't it Karel Capek who coined the word "robot", or was it his brother Josef? Or did he just popularize it? But that was way back in 1920 or 21. So how did Asimov fit into this, simply by his novel, 'I, Robot'? Anyway, there was Isaac, partying away. I still recall him in my memory.

Lately, I wonder how close did I come by Barack Obama. I was around and about the neighborhood where he was doing work, visiting neighbors, putting together organizations in the local neighborhood. Same time. Moved back to the south side of Chicago in 1993, staying until 2005. He was there during part of that time, and on my visits to the University of Chicago, Hyde Park Campus, or the neighborhood bookstores, wasn't that him at the local Law Book store, up on 57th street? Free to shake his hand and say hello, even if I didn't know who he was. Today, there's an auction going on. A mere $45,000.00 may give you the same opportunity... to express a 'hello' at inauguration time.

I had a friend, for whom I worked for in Chicago years ago, who hung around Charlie Manson, one afternoon, way back in his San Francisco days. He said he was looney, and he wasn't at all comfortable around the guy. And for whatever other reasons there may have been, my ol' friend Val decided to part company. When all the commotion surrounding Manson came to light, my friend talked about something he called his lucky stars, and how unlucky he could have been. And I thought, you may never know sometimes who the people you rub elbows with are, bad, or for good.

Getting back to that Asimo robot. Whatta you think? Maybe knocking off the letter 'v' at the end of the name sort of either paid homage to in a sort of far-away way, or tried to give the old bucket of circuits a sort of individuality as well?

But my favorite situation is where scripture talks about entertaining angels unawares. Or when Christ, in heaven talks about the times you helped Him, or comforted Him. And you say, When was that? And Christ says, When you did it to the least of my brethern you did it unto me.

That... is probably the best place to be and people to meet, even when you didn't have a clue as to who they were or for whom you were doing it for.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the fires, Bob May escaped the Sylmar fire with only his wife, his pets, and a bag of photos - they lost everything else.

If there is a bright spot (and there always is), then it would be that at least he escaped with the three most important things in the house.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY: What's your point of your posting these?

Good question. What's your point of asking?

My reasons? Several. One is that it's Keillor and, as such, it's terrific writing. Two would be that it's extremely thought-provoking, and perhaps might save somebody in the future. Three would be that's it's among the most heart-rending stuff I've ever read, and as something that emotional, it's very important.

You needn't read it if you are not so inclined.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
Doug, your friend's behavior DOES make him look like a nincompoop.

He's not my friend. He's a fictional character written by Garrison Keillor.

Fictional, but reflects a lot of real people.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Please Note. The following is using the process known as Disemvoweling

Prtnng t th lstng f th 95 Thss

dn't knw xctly why, bt ths thng Dg Spldng's dng smlls f smthng cls t n ndrhndd mns t cnvy sm prsnl gnd gnst scrptr. Knwng Spldng's bg f trcks, dn't thnk m fr ff.

Why are you speaking in (thinly veiled) code?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I explain in the message without vowels

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what the gnd and the gnst mean?

I was never any good at these word puzzles.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding! Word puzzles. Wonderful!

Let's see:

Pertaining to the listing of the 95 Theses.

Don't know exactly why, but this thing Doug Spaulding's doing smells of something close to an underhanded means to convey some personal (?) against scripture. Knowing Spaulding's bag of tricks, don't think (?) I'm far off.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Don't know exactly why, but this thing Doug Spaulding's doing smells of something close to an underhanded means to convey some personal (?) against scripture. Knowing Spaulding's bag of tricks, don't think (?) I'm far off.

Oh, OK - against! Still can't figure out the gnd, tho.

Mr Knox has us playing words games, yet nobody will guess Mr Braling's quiz.

"Live Forever!"