Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I would've loved to have been there to hear Mario Lanza!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Some of us are old enough to have been one of the 'Tree People' mentioned on Neil Diamond's Hot August Nights album.

Were you one of The Tree People!? Classic album, and one of the very best live albums ever.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I may have been one of the tree people. Back in the old days the Greek Theatre would pay a fee to local high schools who would then have their football team work security in the hills behind the Greek. What this meant is that if you knew a football player from your school you'd get to be a tree person. My high school was in charge during the Diamond concert. I was at the concert but do not remember which night and am not sure if the recorded concert was from a single evening or a compilation from the four nights.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excerpt from Wondrous Strange: The Life and Art of Glenn Gould

From childhood Gould dreaded germs, and his mother’s concerns about the Canadian National Exhibition apparently resurfaced in his mind after he signed a lucrative contract to play at the Hollywood Bowl in August 1957. According to Peter Yazbeck, Gould had not realized that the Bowl was an outdoor amphitheatre, and when Yazbeck told him he panicked and cancelled the concert. He feared germs in tap water, in groups of people, in hospitals – even when greatly concerned about a sick friend he could not bring himself to visit a hospital and would instead keep in contact by phone.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I was at the concert...

Wow!

OK, I'm impressed now. Will you autograph my copy?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More miscellany:
As I type this, in the 'post a reply' window, the toolbar above shows no graphics icons. I can move the cursor over an empty square and Italics, Bold, etc. will appear in the little yellow textbox, though. My graphics icons have disappeared in my email toolbar too.
Anyone out there know how to fix this? I suspect it has to do with my computer's settings, but I haven't found anything yet that fixes it.

posted Hide Post
ANYBODY?

posted Hide Post
Hey BII, what are you using? Are you on Windows? What internet browser are you using? (Internet Explorer? Firefox? Safari? Opera?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Phil, Thanks for the reply!
I'm using Windows (on a PC) and Internet Explorer.

posted Hide Post
BralingII, my first suggestion is that you have images switched off.

In Internet Explorer, go to the Tools Menu.

Choose INTERNET OPTIONS.

A little window should pop up with several tabs along the top. One of the tabs should say ADVANCED. Click on it.

You should now see a whole load of tick boxes. Scroll down to get to the MULTIMEDIA heading, and look for the tick box next to SHOW PICTURES. Make sure there is a tick in that box.

Then report back to me!

This may not be a solution to your problem, but it's a strong possibility.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that one's ticked.
The only one under 'Multimedia' that isn't is 'Show image download placeholders', whatever that means...

posted Hide Post
OK. Some questions for you:

Do you get a similar problem on any other website?

In Internet Explorer, under TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS, do you see a RESET WEB SETTINGS option? Choosing that should put Internet Explorer back to its original state when it was first installed. (Warning: if you have customised your setup, you will have to customise it all over again. Not a big deal, just irritating.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I did that before too.
I do have the same problem when composing email.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I'm using Windows and Internet Explorer.

Well, that's your first two mistakes!

Just good-natured jabbing. You know I really got the love for you.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I'm using Windows and Internet Explorer.

Well, that's your first two mistakes!

Just good-natured jabbing. You know I really got the love for you.

Let's get real, Spaulding. Where's that video?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post