Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Curved wheels, eh? Have they gone to square ones now over there?
Anyway, good advice, Phil.
And remember, it's not "tomato", it's "tuh-may-doh".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:Oh, and if you park in San Francisco (which you can't - there are no spaces anywhere), make sure your wheels are curved.

Is it still advisable to wear flowers in your hair?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Curved wheels, eh? Have they gone to square ones now over there?

This relates to a parking ticket I got in SF ten years ago. Because of the steep hills, you are required by law to turn your front wheels toward the kerb (curb!) when you park. I didn't know that, so I got a ticket.

On the ticket it said "wheels not curved". (I had been wondering why the ride was so bumpy.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Is it still advisable to wear flowers in your hair?

Compulsory!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats! Now I've got that silly song on the brain!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Another passing...(in the works)...

... is Ray Bradbury's famous long-time book haunt, ACRES OF BOOKS. If anyone has a copy of today's Los Angeles Times (CALIFORNIA 'B' section, Monday, April 7th), the notice is there of a sale of Acres of Books in Long Beach, California. Anticipating a sale, inventory has dropped recently from over 1 million books on hand, to a mere some 700,000. Ray is quoted in the article as expressing great surprise over the action of a sale.

"Oh, no! It's so...big and it's full of history," Ray said. "It's full of the smell of dust and time and literature."

The owner last week agreed to sell their 68 year old business (opened 1934) to the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency. Employees 'do not' expect the bookstore to reopen in another location.

It seems that Ray paid a last visit to Acres of Books yesterday:

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_9693339?source=rss_viewed

Anyone with him, with camera? jkt?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

It seems that Ray paid a last visit to Acres of Books yesterday:

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_9693339?source=rss_viewed

Anyone with him, with camera? jkt?

Ray attended with two long-time friends, Craig and Patty Graham of Vagabond Books. (Craig in the white sport coat behind Ray and Patty to the far right wearing the blue top. I was occupied with a project and did not attend. (DARN)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey!

I was supposed to go with - what the heck?

I told Ray about this closing a couple months ago and said that we'd have to go one more time. He said we would indeed - and jkt, too.

And now this? I am heartily saddened.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding~

Well, let me get in line. I also told Ray about it, the day it hit the news. But he already knew about it. I said to him, 'Ray, you have to get over there before the place closes.' And he said, 'Yes Yes. I must go.' I didn't offer any assistance to getting him there. Figured if I didn't hear about him going after awhile I'd offer to pick him up and take him.

But Ray going with the owners of Vagabond Books is fitting.

So dry your tears there Douglas! Summer has just started.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
But Ray going with the owners of Vagabond Books is fitting.

So dry your tears there Douglas! Summer has just started.

Ray going with me is more fitting!

Tears abated for now (there may be another trip in the old gentleman yet!).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

This relates to a parking ticket I got in SF ten years ago. Because of the steep hills, you are required by law to turn your front wheels toward the kerb (curb!) when you park. I didn't know that, so I got a ticket.

Maybe that's why the handbrake is for "emergency use only".

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, here's a 100-percent-off-topic-for-no-reason-whatsoever post, just because this struck me as being pretty darn funny.... Recently came across this advert for a Tippi Hendren in "The Birds" doll, and it just cracked me up. I've always enjoyed that Hitchcock film---have seen it quite a few times---and this really does look like Tippi!

Girls Everywhere Clamor For Uplifting 'Pecked to Within an Inch of Her Life' Barbie

This Barbie is for The Birds! Actually, this Barbie from The Birds is for you! Celebrating Alfred Hitchcock's classic film, this incredible collector's doll features our heroine being attacked by a trio of fine feathered foes, just like in the movie. Will these plastic birds damage her delightful handbag or her carefully styled hair? We certainly hope not! Be sure to let Barbie into your home and pray that the birds don't come in with her!

Modeled after the ritually abused Hitchcock blonde Tippi Hedren, the figurine features real fake birds and a high-quality head that looks scared and has awesome hair!

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Okay, here's a 100-percent-off-topic-for-no-reason-whatsoever post, just because this struck me as being pretty darn funny.... Recently came across this advert for a Tippi Hendren in "The Birds" doll, and it just cracked me up. I've always enjoyed that Hitchcock film---have seen it quite a few times---and this really does look like Tippi!

Girls Everywhere Clamor For Uplifting 'Pecked to Within an Inch of Her Life' Barbie

This Barbie is for The Birds! Actually, this Barbie from The Birds is for you! Celebrating Alfred Hitchcock's classic film, this incredible collector's doll features our heroine being attacked by a trio of fine feathered foes, just like in the movie. Will these plastic birds damage her delightful handbag or her carefully styled hair? We certainly hope not! Be sure to let Barbie into your home and pray that the birds don't come in with her!

Modeled after the ritually abused Hitchcock blonde Tippi Hedren, the figurine features real fake birds and a high-quality head that looks scared and has awesome hair!

She actually seems quite tranquil!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, Miscellanous Postings!

What next? Truly a gift from above. Where we can circumnavigate the harsher realities of life and delve into the nondescript meanings of everyday nondescriptednesses?

Here, then, MY BLOG! I decided to start one since my daughter has a blazing one going and I thought, what the heck! No one else is going to see it. (unless I'm silly enough to post it elsewhere). Oh Oh!

http://catchaway.blogspot.com/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
My wife Barbara and I were watching TV last night when we were surprised during a Lexus commercial to hear the announcer refer to 'something wicked this way comes" as it would relate to the Lexus vehicle. I plan to ask Ray about this tomorrow. I am hoping that they are paying Ray for the use of that line. I'll let you know what Ray says.

So what did he say?

"Live Forever!"