Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey, Biplane- scroll up a bit and try my quiz!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What color starts with "n?"

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nocturne

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, you'd better start over.

If we're all done with the quiz, I can explain how it works, if anyone's interested...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh. Why, soytenly!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multiply any number by nine, add together the digits of the product, and the sum will always be nine! E.g, 5 x 9 = 45, 5 + 4 = 9. 9 x 9 = 81, 8 + 1 = 9. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Multiply any number by nine...

Doesn't this have to do with the Celsius/Fahrenheit thing?

Fahrenheit is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Ricky Ricardo was wont to say, "I dunt thin so!"

Fahrenheit based his scale on Zero degrees being the temperature at which salt water (i.e. salt and water in equal proportions) freezes, then went up and down the scale from there.

Celsius/Centigrade is just that, centi=100, grade= measure; basing 100 degrees as the boiling point and zero degrees as the freezing point of water.

This is all from memory, but I think that's it.

Now the Kelvin scale starts with Zero degrees as Absolute Zero!
They say space is a very cool 3 degrees K!

The "nine thing" is used in many number games and "amaze-your-friends"-type devices.

posted Hide Post

Now, once again changing the Subject:
OSCARS NOMINATIONS AND AWARDS

I hardly ever [I do mean 'ever'] predict Oscar nods. But I'll go out on that proverbial limb this time and say the Best Picture of the Year will go to 'BABEL'.

Why? For this one reason: it's where motion pictures will [must] be heading for the upcoming years if we are going to attempt a sane world: a whole world-wide audience, and a whole world-wide connected story line. 'The Departed', also nominated for Best Picture, is essentially about cops and robbers and robbers and cops. But the vast sense that 'Babel' gives the movie goer, like Bradbury's butterfly having been stepped on and things change all down thru history, is here how a singular event, like giving a friend a rifle as a gift, affects people's lives all over the globe in all sorts of ways.

So, 'BABEL' it is!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knows what'll win? Here's what should win:

Picture: The Queen
Actor: Forest Whitaker
Actress: Helen Mirren
Director: Paul Greengrass
Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy
Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
Animated Feature: Cars
Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth
And Pan's should win a bum-load of awards for Cinematography, Art Direction, etc - beautiful piece of art!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picture: Babel
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio
Actress: Helen Mirren
Director: Martin Scorsese
Supporting Actor: Dimon Hounsou
Supporting Actress: Abigail Breslin
Animated: Happy Feet

LIVE FOREVER? Everyone already lives forever! Just depends, ultimately, where!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picture: Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Best Actor: Eddie Bracken
Best Ac...
What?
Again?
Oh well. Back into the time machine. Gotta get those coordinates fixed!

posted Hide Post
Picture:
The Best Years of Our Life
Actor:
Spencer Tracy
Best Actress:
Gloria Swanson
Director:
Bill Wilder....
Wha...???

Hey, Braling, now you got me doing that...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Picture: The Music Man
Best Actor: Edward Arnold as Nero Wolfe
Best Supporting Actor: Humphrey Bogart as Archie Goodwin
Best…

Uh, actually it will probably be “The Queen” and Scorsese.

Nard, there’s a new picture out you might enjoy called “Amazing Grace”. One of the characters, played by Albert Finney, is the former slave ship captain who wrote the hymn.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep! Heard of it. The other Christian one, that now has been turned to DVD, is One Night With the King.