Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You found me out, Pard! When the boys put our calico feline into the wilderness via the backdoor, this is often heard, "...and that cat will be out for the night!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
Well I think you give great "Hi's

Do you know, George Clayton Johnson answers his phone with "Hi!".

I believe the word of the day here is "apropos".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Snowing here, right now! Kinda looks like stars...

Looks like orbs!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...and then there is always Og:

Mandino's The Greatest Salesman in the World is one of the greatest things I have ever read!

Read it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Then there is always Og Oggilby...

The Bank Dick is also in my Top Ten of all time.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Say, where's Doug these days?

I was missed! Bless your heart.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Doug says he's been busy lately and will drop by later.

Or, as we say in England, pop round.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You won't believe what just happened to me. I went to the store to buy a pack of cigs and go to MacDonalds to get dinner for me and the boys as my wife and daughter had gone shopping. So I get my cigs, light one up and get on the road. I'm halfway to McD's on a five minute jaunt tops when I look in my rearview mirror and yes folks the cherries are a flashin, I look down at the speedometer and no not speeding. So, I pull over and get my license out amidst a blinding spot light trained on me. I turn down the obsenely loud music.(ratdog)I crack my window and the officer walks up and says "do you know your driving under expired tags since last June. I say no and he asks to see my registration, I still have the smoking butt in my fingers. I turn on three different interior lights to see(I drive a '95 baby blue chevy blazer). I reach over and open the glovebox and have to root through several books tumbling out that I have put in there and forgotten about(Lord of the Flies & Queen of the Damned). I finally grasp the registration and see to my unbelieving eyes the sticker still attached to it that I forgot to put on the plate when I renewed months ago that day it was raining. I hand it stupidly over to him. Then he asks if I have proof of insurance, so I go back to the clutter of my glovebox/filecabinet/bookshelf/snack pantry/medicine cabinet and root around and find a little nondescript piece of paper that I know is my insurance card but I am so flustered now that I can't focus well enough to read what is usually expired anyway, so I ask the officer "is that current", like the brain I am. He annoyingly hands it back to me and asks if my drivers liscense is in order, current address etc, which I say it is. "Well", he says, I pulled you over because of the expired tags." I said I'm sorry sir and would he mind if I got out and stuck it on now, to which he said no and so I did. I said I was sorry, and he said to have a nice evening. I was shaking(why?, past experience flash?) and lit another cigarette using the nub of the other one still smoldering. Then I went to MacDonald's where they shorted me an order of fries in short order that I only realized after getting home because I didn't check the contents of the bag in the drive through, yet again, damn! When I got home and ate, I went back out to the car to get my lighter out of it and I noticed something else had fallen out of the glovebox. A baggie with about eight pills in it plus a six inch sharp putty knife(for scraping frozen windows), which upon closer examination of the bag were Ibuprofin from a camping trip a long time ago but which could have caused a mild stir in that situation at that particular moment if certain eyes had picked up on it, whew! I got lucky tonight folks, the gods were smiling on me. And to think, almost cut my hair...

Had this happened six years ago in time, I would in all likelyhood this very moment be in a jail cell without a get-out-of-jail cardFrowner Smiler.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket-man...do you realize you just used a decade's worth of ticket karma all in one night? No sticker, a glove compartment stuffed with banned books, loud music, a bag of sedatives, a concealed weapon, and a nervous, fidgety behavior. Whoa!

They do have internet in the old crowbar hotels these days. So, the good news would have been, you could have still updated us tonight, though wearing striped pj's. BTW, did you happen to bump into the kind officer getting coffee at McD's when you did finally arrive?

Hey, you should have rolled down the window and said, "Driving. Just driving!" Well, maybe not.

(Glad all went well and that your encountered constable was a gentleman!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just fell off my chair fjp!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No sign of the Lake. The email address is inactive, but glad to hear rocket is still with us!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kicker is that according to my behavior, I should have been strip searched right there on the spot. At the very least, I should have gotten a stupidity ticket. Everything clicked for me for once this time. Usually I couldn't have even found the info. that I produced seemingly out of thin air. Of course, later my wife said she was the one who put my updated ins. card in the glovebox, bless her pointy little head. Some other relevant items I just now realized were also in the vehicle at the time and went unnoticed: two full mail tubs of books in the very back along with a toolbox and a cardboard open box containing, are you ready for this, a chainsaw, and up front sitting in the little alcove above ashtray was a long blade pocket knife. Your going down, rocket! I swear all of this is the truth nothing but the truth....

posted Hide Post
My coworker, Margy, commented this morning that at least I wasn't wearing an astronaut diaper, whoa!,....

posted Hide Post
Now, if you had told him you were a writer by profession and had no television...that would have been the coup-de-grace!

In my neck of the woods, chainsaws, well-stocked rear-window rifle racks, shovels, axes, and long bladed hunting knives come standard in most previously owned pick-ups found on the sales lot!

posted Hide Post
Or what if I were simply walking at night...?

You know, I would almost relish an encounter with the police if I was just out walking at night especially after having read The Pedestrian. There would be something poetic about it and sad of course. Although, I would not like it one bit if they told me to get in the car!