Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenswake:
Greg, snag a copy of Diamond's "Hot August Night," you'd love it.

The greatest live album ever (closely followed by "The Last Waltz")!

Diamond holds us in the palm of his hand.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, good to see your post Ravenswake! I think I've seen that come in, don't know if it is still there though, but I'll look for it. Right now listening to Bobby Gentry's Fancy, it's sweet!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that Neil Diamond? Not for me, man. Herb Alpert, now that's hot stuff! Check out his version of the "Zorba" theme!
So, ROCKET is your latest appellation?
R is for Rocket, not Robot, we know, so maybe this one'll stick?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob the Bot was somewhat dry to my palate. I tried it again but the system(Hal)wouldn't let me have the old name back unless I instilled a period in between, sorry it just wasn't the same. I was adjusting my quote as well to make it less lengthy. I had Martian Chronicles sitting(setting?,help B-Two) here and I was perusing it when "rocket" soared into my mind. It seemed so simple and perfect to me but I just almost knew it had to be taken so I tried it anyway. The rest is history as I am now rocket.

Regarding my penchant for collecting albums, I must say that a wave of pre and post teenage memories have come back in a flood today. I used to have an album collection a very long time ago which I also sold a long time ago. When I started to work at the book store(our store sells almost every kind of media)I started to collect albums even though I did not have a hi-fi because A.they were so cheap to come by, and B. an album is tons more esthetically appealing to not only look at and listen to but to read what is written on them verses a cd(as simple and clear as they are, something was lost in the transformation to the new less archaic device). That said, I have amassed about a hundred or so albums mostly based on the cover art. I have so much ancient stuff that I have never even heard before that it is almost mind numbing. Can you beleive that most of these records are over forty years old, mostly in good shape too. So far, I love most of what I have listened to. In the last few(well maybe more) hours, here is an example of what I have been listening to most of it for the first time ever, Herb Alpert, Frank Sinatra, Cher, Bobby Gentry, Sammy Davis Jr., Carol King, Joan Baez, Allan Parsons Project(listening to The Raven right now), a few more probably. My point is that these are not the bands that I loved and listened to in my youth and I am thrilled that these new horizons have been opened up to me. Maybe I'm starting to get old, but not grown up yet, hehe.

Regarding Herb Alpert, I have to admit to being enamored by that Whipped Cream And Other Delights album for quite a while but have never listened to that lp before now. I totally enjoyed listening to it today. Several weeks ago at work, we were discussing the girl on the cover. We were speculating as to what her name might be. I was thinking Desere' or maybe Mercedes, something exotic.(I just put on Melanie, Stone Ground Words) I googled that album to begin with. Here's some trivia that I think is interesting. Herb Alpert is the "A" in A&M records. One of his albums is the very first one they put out and Whipped is the tenth. The young models name is Delores(darn it)Erikson and she was three months pregnant at the time of the photograph that would forever make her "The Whipped Cream Lady". She is 63 now I think, still pretty too. If you scrutinize the picture, you will notice that the majority of the "whipped cream" is really a white blanket and the rest is shaving cream except what is on her face and finger. The studio lights originally made the whipped cream run off too fast due to heat. When the young model saw the final proofs for the cover, she was aghast at so much that was visible. (Now listening to it again, had toSmiler) Sorry to go on and on and on, just been waiting a while to actually listen to these records. I'm stunned I like them so much, maybe I never really listened before when the opportunity presented itself...

p.s. ...it's a few minutes later and I just thought that albums are close to being Martian books in that they sing and you can look at them and read them, just a thought. Did I mention that I got rid of my cell phone? Now, I cannot even find a pay phone, anywhere! Talk about an archaic device...g'night all.

p.s.s. ...now listening to H.A.(I have four of his) What Now My Love, boy he has some provocative covers doesn't he...!
Forgot to mention that no one in his band was ever spanish, I think they were all of the Italian persuasion, kinda awesome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great, Greg! Your taste in music, I mean.

There is "one way"--but I tremble to suggest it. I can delete BOTH "Robot Lincoln" personas from the system, then you can reregister as the original one. It seems if you use the same email address, and I DON'T delete any of your other identities, you can keep your number of posts. At least, so it appears...but maybe that's what HAL wants us to think!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dandelion, thanks a bunch! That is so nice of you, but I think I like rocket better anyway. Your great as usual though. I hope ya had a great X-Mas!!!

Regarding the above post about Delores, I'm glad her name wasn't exotic, it made her story much more interesting.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The greatest live album ever (closely followed by "The Last Waltz")!

Bah, THE KINKS--One For The Road.

I'm a big fan of the turntable and have around 400 LPs, about 50 of those by THE KINKS alone. I could listen exclusively to THE KINKS, MADNESS, and XTC for the rest of my life and be more than content in doing so.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robo,

Rocket is perfect, I love the unassuming and humble lower case "r". Capitolizations just seem so pompous.Smiler

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket,
Re the above "sitting here" is correct, "setting" being a transitive verb requiring a direct object; e.g. " after setting the book down, it remained sitting there..."
Have fun with your LP adventures!
I need to get a turntable again. I sold or gave away many LPs years ago. I'm down to six or seven hundred, mostly rare.
I have vivid teenage recollections of the "Whipped Cream" LP...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, buy this!

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=244674

It's on sale CHEAP and it's GREAT!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooh! Tempting! I'll see if Braling I (or Mrs. Braling!) will go for it!

posted Hide Post
Thanks B-Two! You too grass! Kinks rock, I don't see many Kinks l.p.s come into the store so I know folks are holding on to them.

posted Hide Post
My first (feeble) attempt at actually asking a girl to dance (??13-14) was to the Kinks' "All Day And All Of The Night." (R&R at its best.) Remember when you could really understand the words being sung?

Surviving one's teens, a tall order indeed!

http://kinks.it.rit.edu/discography/showsong.php?song=8

grassy, rocket: I have all 1st release Hendrix and the Experience, many later JH imports, maybe 40 LP's. He was a genius of sound, image, and technique. Here... then gone...!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I'm more of a Django Reinhardt-Wes Montgomery-John Fahey kinda guy, I can dig lots of Hendrix. Our jazz trio does a nice version of "Little Wing".

posted Hide Post
I love Hendrix fjp, Rainbow Bridge just came in the other day, the album. I may put it on my shelf at work. The film is really quite interesting also, not only awesome musically but unbeleivable surfing too. I brought about twenty clearance lps home tonight. Listening to Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow which was one of them as I write. Good album to listen to in the dark...