Doug Spaulding
Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Delete genes, live forever!

"Live Forever!"
08 November 2015, 05:30 PM
jkt
What we did on October 29th.

Article: http://south.pasadenanow.com/s...ted-to-sp-library-2/

Scroll down for photo under the heading of Around Town: http://south.pasadenanow.com/

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
13 November 2015, 10:34 AM
jkt
On Saturday the 14th at 2:00 p.m. Pasadena's independent bookshop, Vroman's, where Ray would spend Halloween Day doing a signing is hosting an art show by an artist who was inspired by Ray.

http://www.vromansbookstore.co...l-reception-nov-2015

John King Tarpinian
18 November 2015, 03:13 PM
Linnl
In the back of Ray Bradbury's head "Montag" was cited as being from a paper manufacturing company, "Faber" from a pencil maker, perhaps "Granger' came from Mr. Bradbury seeing a copy of Granger's Index of Poetry. https://sites.google.com/site/...erproject/home/about
18 November 2015, 05:04 PM
fjp451
Right, Linnl!! Right out of my old "notes"!!

He are a few more:
CLARISSE - L. “brightness” - 17 yr. old who sets GM on his journey to knowledge or "light!”
PROFESSOR FABER - teacher to GM; Peter Faber ~ tutor of St. Ignatius Loyola (both were behind the scenes)
STONEMAN and BLACK - firemen; tough names; Beatty's cronies in burning
BEATTY- “bait” Capt. who challenges Montag with quick response and keeps GM off balance

This was the final topic when the book had been studied and discussed: Even in view of the great loss and confusion the protagonist had experienced ~
"Guy Montag’s metamorphosis ultimately leads him to realize his greatest lesson ~ HOPE!"

So often Mr. B's message to all of us!
19 November 2015, 12:35 AM
Linnl
Thanks fjp451!
And Granger himself is kind of an index of the bookpeople.
19 November 2015, 11:42 PM
dandelion
Caught our local theater's wonderful production of The Wizard of Oz which I highly recommend to anyone who will be in this area while tickets are available! Anyhow, I kind of wondered whether they would change Professor Marvel's line, "used by the priests of Isis and Osiris in the days of the pharaohs of Egypt" and they did! It's now, "used by the priestesses of Osiris," so it's about the same length but Isis is right outta there! (That group is ruining everything--even though that is not the name which should be used for them!)
22 November 2015, 07:51 AM
jkt
Clifton's Cafeteria from CBS Sunday Morning with a mention of our favorite author:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ba...-cliftons-cafeteria/

John King Tarpinian
28 November 2015, 02:03 PM
jkt
Creature Features & Intrada pay tribute to Walt Disney’s 1983 adaptation
of Ray Bradbury’s SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES!

We’re proud to host an unprecedented symposium celebrating Intrada’s
brand new CD release of composer Georges Delerue’s chilling rejected
score. This legendary original music was unheard outside of one fateful
test screening, replaced with a new score by the late James Horner.

Join film music journalist Tim Greiving of NPR and The Los Angeles Times
as we revisit the film’s complicated production with rare footage and
behind-the-scenes photos – plus a panel discussion with Colette Delerue,
editor Axel Hubert, film music agent Richard Kraft, soundtrack producer
Douglass Fake, and other guests to be added.

Admission is FREE with purchase of the new CD.
Seating is limited and available on a first come, first served basis

John King Tarpinian
05 December 2015, 08:15 PM
jkt
A one of a kind Ray Bradbury doll.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2...earch_query=bradbury

John King Tarpinian
06 December 2015, 04:57 PM
dandelion
Hey, I have been mostly offline since I broke my leg on Thursday afternoon, but now I'm back, I know when you are sleeping, I know when you're awake, etc.
06 December 2015, 06:26 PM
Linnl
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Hey, I have been mostly offline since I broke my leg on Thursday afternoon, but now I'm back, I know when you are sleeping, I know when you're awake, etc.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are well on the mend, dandelion. Calcium with magnesium, and vitamin D-3 supplements are helpful.
06 December 2015, 11:04 PM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are well on the mend, dandelion. Calcium with magnesium, and vitamin D-3 supplements are helpful.

Yeah, they're giving me lots of Vitamin D.
10 December 2015, 04:58 PM
dandelion

Presented for your delectation is an image of a milestone and what might be termed a core life memory. Find the Way Home was the first book which impressed me so deeply as to directly impact my behavior in a major situation. Just prior to Easter when I was in First Grade, my sisters and I had a little mishap in which I fell into a vaporizer which had been running all day. They were splashed, but I sat directly in it and all three of us were rushed to the ER at Kennewick General Hospital. I was standing up in the car with no pants as the skin where I sat was sloughing off "like a boiled peach," a doctor said, and I could not sit! I remembered this book in which a lost boy begins crying, says, "Crying never does any good," then finds the solution to his problem of having lost his way. I repeated "Crying never does any good" and by the time we made the very short drive to the hospital I had stopped crying. A boy my age in the ER who had suffered only a small head cut was shrieking like a banshee and one of the doctors said, "Look at that girl, she is hurt much worse than you and she isn't crying at all." I thought, boy, I am tough!

I learned not only from the book but from my dad. My mom was mortified at any child of theirs having suffered an accident serious enough for the ER and wouldn't have mentioned it to a soul, but Dad trumpeted it to everyone he knew that I was seriously injured. My grandmother for whom I am named was ready to fly across the country till Mom set her straight. Anyhow, I learned if you are taken to the ER, make sure everyone you know knows all the gory details. This has stood me in good stead.

As to what brings this up now, I still have that damn vaporizer and when the hardware comes out of my leg perhaps I can mount both in some sort of tasteful display. I also have a crusty old vaporizer which hasn't been used in twenty years and probably shouldn't be. This year I decided we needed a new one and was thinking today where to set it.

Lastly, this book is a wonderful relic of a bygone era. Wouldn't it be great if the streets were safe enough for six-year-olds to walk far enough alone to actually lose their way?
10 December 2015, 05:46 PM
jkt
Her talent and beauty aside she was smart enough to select Ray for her first video.

John King Tarpinian