Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It seems dubbed sound was available within a year or so of The Jazz Singer, and Singin' in the Rain is meant as an imaginary depiction of its first use. Ray was certainly right about its being a "Science Fiction Film."

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...I will soon be an owner of one.

I assume you mean one book, and that you aren't venturing out to the edge of the solar system with a giant butterfly net to grab yourself a golden record.

MURMURS OF EARTH is a very good book. It used to be the only place you could see the images stored on the record (although these days they're on the web, as Linnl's links show). What is still unique is the detailed discussion of how the whole thing was designed. Exactly how DO you construct a message and a whole technology for communicating with creatures who have zero commonality with us? (The answer chosen, of course, is to use the language of mathematics and physics.)

The book also shows that everyone involved appreciated how extremely unlikely it is that anyone (anyTHING?) will ever see the golden records let alone be able to make any sense of them. The important thing is to have made a statement to the cosmos and to the people of Earth. It's the most glorious message in a bottle in history.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jkt:
...I will soon be an owner of one.

quote:
I assume you mean one book...

I meant the cookbook: To Serve Man.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451: I hope you win something in the raffle on Sunday.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open Culture had a post by Josh Jones for August 31, 2012, about the NEA Big Read interview with Ray Bradbury.

http://www.openculture.com/201...s_teach_us_that.html

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tampa Florida, Jobsite Theater is performing the play Fahrenheit 451 from Sept. 5-30.
Trailer available here: http://www.jobsitetheater.org/

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An article by Bill Spangler in Montgomery Media, talks with a actor friend of Ray Bradbury, Tom Quinn: http://www.montgomerynews.com/...t?viewmode=fullstory

posted Hide Post
If you ever had the urge to actually type on one of Ray's typewriters now's the chance.

http://www.lamarler.com/venice-typein

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The September issue of Locus Magazine has a nice review of the Nefretti-Tut Express. The last book published before Ray left us.

http://www.locusmag.com/Magazi...2-table-of-contents/

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:

Wednesday night!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Endeavour:

Luckily I can stand at my street corner, looking South to downtown Los Angeles. First I first saw the chase planes then faintly saw the shuttle. The I could look West, five minutes later, and see it pass over the Hollywood Sign (on the other side of the hill)making a wide sweep as it turned it looked as if I could reach out and touch it. Then a few minutes later I could look to the East to see it fly to JPL where I got a nice view at a distance and finally again as it left for Disneyland via LAX. Four times in total. I’m stoked!!!

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
This is great except for the poor unfortunate trees.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
This is great except for the poor unfortunate trees.

That will be replaced by twice as many in a part of town that could use more shade. Being replaced by full-size trees, not saplings. Plus this area of town will get much needed sidewalk repair.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Really, I didn't realize they could transplant full-sized trees and assumed they'd put in saplings and just tell people to spend 40 years getting used to it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Really, I didn't realize they could transplant full-sized trees and assumed they'd put in saplings and just tell people to spend 40 years getting used to it.

I just happen to have a friend, actually an ex-tenant, who works for the State and is in charge of such things as making sure roadwork does not disturb the flaura and fauna in the State. She even was invited to the landing of the shuttle, one of the VIPs.

John King Tarpinian