Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ancient Aliens, the series by Prometheus Entertainment. Get it. Watch it.

Okay, he may be crazy. http://ziddufacts.blogspot.com...s-debunked-idea.html But it's still great fun.

“I have to wonder,” geologist Mervine wrote in 2005, “what inspires such crazy notions and how people such as Von Daniken and Childress manage to sell so many books. Certainly, far more copies of a single one of their books have been sold than, say, all the editions of my igneous petrology textbook.”

Ain't that a ripoff?

http://jcolavito.tripod.com/lo...ilizations/id44.html

Charles Mackay, who wrote the book Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, part of the title of which Ray used in a short story, had it dead on: http://robotics.caltech.edu/~m...s/epd_marvelous.html

Anyhow, bottom line, I'll make no absolute conclusions on the ancient astronauts until after December 2012. If we're still here to observe then, I'll see if they really show by June 2013. Otherwise, to heck with 'em.

I just had the vision of masses of people gathering in December at ancient landing sites looking much like this:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have nothing else better to do on March 25th feel free to come and say hello. I have been anointed the “author wrangler.” If you do plan on attending please make sure to say hello. (Richard: Do you plan on being there this year?)

http://www.la-vintage-paperback-show.com/index.html

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dream Police will suck the thoughts right out of your HEEEEEAAAAAAAAADDDD! http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/...ideo-130497213.html/

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy PI Day. It is a good day to have a piece of pie in honor of 3.14 since today is March 14th.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Dream Police will suck the thoughts right out of your HEEEEEAAAAAAAAADDDD! http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/...ideo-130497213.html/

All that possibility and we got Steve Martin as Inspector Clouseau?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did wonder at the choice of subject material.

posted Hide Post
It's good to know that the image recovered from the brain looks just like the movie would look if I took my glasses off.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1850: The Scarlet Letter, written by Nathaniel Hawthorne, was first published

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
It could certainly help solve crimes. They'd just get a search warrant for the person's brain and suck the memories out, showing exactly how things happened.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It could certainly help solve crimes. They'd just get a search warrant for the person's brain and suck the memories out, showing exactly how things happened.

Dumbledore's been doing that for years.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but he needs Veritaserum or a Pensieve.

posted Hide Post
quote:

But - at the risk of turning this discussion into a Philip K. Dick story - how could they distinguish between a memory and a fantasy?

(Let's leave that as a rhetorical question, shall we?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To quote the great Yogi Berra, " It's deja vu all over again!"

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
But - at the risk of turning this discussion into a Philip K. Dick story - how could they distinguish between a memory and a fantasy?

(Let's leave that as a rhetorical question, shall we?)

Yeah, like if a person was accused of committing a crime, started having nightmares about it, and then they recovered the nightmares?

posted Hide Post
I've just been told that Ray is a final question on Jeopardy tonight.

John King Tarpinian