Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I googled roads for 451 and it turns out that there is one in Florida. I thought it would be in a hot place for sure. Biplane, it is SR451 and it runs through Apopka. Anywhere near you? By the way, nice job on the weight loss.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~~~Changing the Subject~~~

``NOTE`` This is NOT a children's movie. Kid's won't understand the story and there are some rough edges on the movie that will turn away families. Unfortunately, it's not marketed that way!
==============================================

Had to report about a movie I went to see on Friday and again on Saturday. My take on this movie is the BEST ANIMATED MOVIE IN HISTORY. I've been partial to Polar Express, and one or two others. But this one ""outdoes"" them ALL!

`````````HAPPY FEET````````

"BRILLIANT!"

"EMOTIONAL"

"VERY ENTERTAINING"

"VISUALLY AMAZING"

"GREAT STORY"

Also:

There are several instances giving a thought back to Close Encounters of a Third Kind. The topper, was when the little girl tapped, tapped, tapped on the window of the Penguin Exhibit. The very basis of communications with the 'aliens' were sounds of '''happy feet.'''!

I say, watch this one winning the Oscar for BEST ANIMATED FEATURE hands (feet) down! I suspect it may even eventually go into the rare air of 100 best movies of all time. It's emotionally moving, captivating, and visually stunning! I want to see it a 3rd time...this time in its screenings in IMAX!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...BEST ANIMATED MOVIE IN HISTORY..."
Really? Better than "Bambi vs. Godzilla"?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going to go to bed now with the sound of that song in my head—sung by Kermit thee Frog. “Happy feet. I’ve got those happy feet…”

And I too thank the city of Tokyo.
(I wonder…has anyone ever timed that cartoon? Was it over in thirty seconds?)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running my eyes over passages of comments by viewers in the newspapers and internet of 'Happy Feet'... it must be thus: younger people, in general, don't get it. When I was 20 I wouldn't have gotten it. Younger people seem to be oblivious to the fact that older people were once...younger people! And older people, for the most part, know pretty much that what they were like when they were younger: "they didn't get it". And so to talk to a younger person who' doesn't get it' as if they 'get it', means you haven't learned from the lessons of being young.

Reviews like:
• I understand the movie discredits religious people! (No it tells the tale of a foolish prophet who discovers his folly!)
• What's that on penguin Norma Jean's shoulder, a tattoo? (No, that's a beauty mark like the one Marilyn Monroe had on her cheek, and Norma Jean is actually Marilyn Monroe's real name Get it? No tattoo.)
• Too much singing. Crappy story! (Huh? At it's basic storyline, it's an evironmental movie. Deeper, it's about religion and governments that don't entertain change.)

• Parents are asking for refunds. (Go for it! It's one of those movies that's not for the younger kids. This one is shame on the like-minded marketing people who did a similar thing with the powerful movie of childhood abuse , "Radio Flyer". They promoted it as a child/family friendly movie. But then you have people like director Harold Ramis who said he took his kids to see' Borat'. Hey! With the Ramis comment, I said to myself ..."The world is far more confused than I could ever know it!")

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is what I found out about Florida SR451:

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running!
Florida State Road 451
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from State Road 451 (Florida))
Jump to: navigation, search
It has been suggested that this article or section be merged with Florida State Road 429. (Discuss)
State Road 451 will be the number given to the part of SR 429 (Western Expressway) north of SR 414 (Maitland Boulevard Extension, formerly known as the Apopka Bypass) when SR 429 is moved onto SR 414 west of the interchange. When plans for the road were first publicly released in late 2004, they showed the number as State Road 429A; this was changed to SR 451 by late February 2005.

The plans for the Maitland Road Extension also show that SR 451 will be further extended north, to connect to the southern end of Vick Road, about 250 ft. northeast of the road's current north end at US 441.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a recipe for Medieval Soup.

Ingredients :
6 x fatty rashers of bacon, chopped roughly
3 clv garlic
4 x pigeons or other small game birds (6 if very small)
225 gm (8 oz) mushrooms, whatever variety, chopped roughly
75 gm (3 oz) roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts or walnuts
300 ml (10 fl oz, 1 1/4 cups) real ale
150 ml (5 fl oz, 3/4 cup) water
2 x or 3 bay leaves
1 x little salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 x coarse slices brown bread

Method :
Fry the bacon, with the garlic, till it is lightly browned in a heavy bottomed casserole. Add birds and brown on all sides. Add the mushrooms and nuts, continue to cook for a couple of minutes, then add the ale and water with the bay leaves.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently for 2 - 2 1/2 hours- the birds should be falling off the bone. Remove the birds from the juices, cool juices completely and remove any excess fat. The birds can be served whole on or off the bone. If the latter, carve them while they are cold then return to the skimmed juices and reheat gently. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve either the whole birds of the slices on the pieces of bread, with plenty of the juices and "bits". A good green salad to follow is the best accompaniment.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, so I went to the park at lunch and tried to lure the pigeons to me with a home made pigeon call and some Captain Crunch cereal. No pigeons would come near me, but I was able to "bag" four starlings and an already injured crow. Do I strip the feathers before cooking or wait till later?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it in this weeks' Louisville, KY paper that I read that a famous talking crow with amazing mathematical abilities escaped and is considered injured because of the escape? Maybe! Not only an injured crow, but including several starlings suspected to have been abducted and returned to earth by space-aliens, and implanted with some communication with the motor ship. Communication is said to have something to do with the movement of the feathers. Could these be them?

posted Hide Post
Nard, what have you been smoking?????

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a frog plucking wings off of flies before tossing them into a tea cup cauldron. His friend, a toad, appeared to be under the weather. He was bundled up in a matchbox bed and cold and clammy to the touch.

As for fugitive crows... haven't seen any.
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chortle, chortle to all! Smiler

It's not "smoking" Biplane, it's "Nard, what have you been ingesting?" Could have been something ingested in 1970 creeping back up to the surface to bite him when least expected...

The crow spoke too late and I don't like starlings either, they're too tough. Nard, please slow it down on the typing. I'm hoping against all hope that you meant "mother ship", not "motor ship". An angry alien with a probe is not a pretty sight to see. Either way, don't change it, it's funny. Smiler

Thanks Biplane regarding SR451, or Burnt Book Highway.

posted Hide Post
Come on, you guys...you never read the front pages of those tabloids in the check out counters of supermarkets?

posted Hide Post
Oh, heck yeah! You mean the "I HAD BIGFOOT'S BABY" and "U.S. SOLDIERS IN FIREFIGHT WITH ALIENS". Great journalism, that. Woodward's got nothing on those guys.

================================================

posted Hide Post
Of course I do Nard. I have a lifetime subscription to Weekly World "News". LOL I was just ribbing you about all that. Guess who this is, "I'm going to destroy you with the P-32 Space Modulator". Seriously though, you really looked like a pretty freewheelin' dude in that picture with Ray.

Grass, somebody on a different board had this as their banner quote, "You eat one foot and they label you a cannibal." I thought that was somewhat random yet funny. I recently read this as well, which is pertinent, "Laughing is a serious business".