Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    A Bradbury Kind of Sunset
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bradbury Kind of Sunset
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Awesome cloud formations. But what was the deal with the horizontal rainbow effect on the one?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reality is now truly in the eye of the Photoshop holder?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO, NO, NO! These are really unretouched photos of natural atmospheric phenomena. The 'hangy-downy' clouds ar called "mammatus", and the other is a "fire rainbow".
The URL for the latter is http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/firerainbow.asp

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling's "rainbow clouds" remind me of a photo I captured of our "two young scruffs" while we were tavelling a back country road (that is really all we have up here!). It was just before sunset. We had already had a very full day and energy levels were questionable, at best. (Think: boys 10 and 8, riding in a car an hour from home and maybe a half hour past a snack that Dad should have supplied - oops!)

Needless to say, having them secured next to one another was not the best senario for all involved. Wildcats in seatbelts, maybe. Then it started to rain hard.

Fifteen minutes down the road, the rain stops and the sun breaks through. So, the sun is setting in the West and the dark clouds are breaking up all around us. A rainbow arches across the Eastern sky. I stop the car, camera in hand, and the boys, ready to really go at one another now that they have been unleashed, hop into a big freshly mowed field to take a look at the colors.

I get them to turn to face me, and for a brief moment they actually wrap their arms across one another's shoulder -- and smile! Click.

The picture shows a full rainbow in the background framing the two best friends. Nice.

(The picture brightens my desk at school. An RB moment, I think.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, ya gonna post that picture, Butch?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the techno-savvy!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank, have you a scanner? I, too, was all thumbs, but look at me now as I am scanning and posting photos almost to the chagrin of the other posters.

But if you have a scanner and they are terribly inexpensive these days. Less than a $100.00 for a decent one. Let me know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Frank, have you a scanner?

I like when people say 'have you...'

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-Two, beautiful photos, the fire rainbow looks similiar to a sun-dog. Any relation?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing. I'll investigate...

posted Hide Post
There is a forboding in this article (below). Biplane's post "Bradbury Sunset" may have a metaphoric significance. How many of Mr. Bradbury's wonderful stories will set quietly in the West because of social climes that allow this (and other such "concerns") to take root:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-06-26-recess-bans_x.htm

Sad! The scene from F451 movie comes to mind when Beatty finds the tiny book tucked beneath the child's blanket as the firemen are surveying the playground. He waves an authoritarian finger, negatively at the tot in the stroller..."Uh, uh, uh!"

posted Hide Post
Frank, sad to say what is happening with the age of thought, or the process, of "growing up." To me it was suffering the occasional skinned knee from falling on the playground. And at Agazzis Elementary School it was dirt covered with pea gravel. Remember that? Growing up also included the once-in-a-while argument and fist fight.

If I remember correctly schools provided at a very nominal cost an insurance policy to cover accidents on the school grounds.

Banning tag? Common now, next they will be banning recess all together, or is it already gone?

posted Hide Post
...although, Mr. B. revived for many of us some childhood horror, you'll recall in "The Playground"...

posted Hide Post
Yes, Braling II, an excellent protrayal by William Shatner on the RBT some years ago. A rather frightening story and spooky in its content.

posted Hide Post
Biplane 1 said:
quote:
If I remember correctly schools provided at a very nominal cost an insurance policy to cover accidents on the school grounds.

Yeah...those were the good old days. Cost like five bucks a year or something, and even if your kid got hurt, the parents probably never tried for the insurance.
These things went the way of diving boards at motel swimming pools...and were replaced by security guards and pass-through metal detectors.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post