Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Collecting Science Fiction

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting Science Fiction
 Login/Join

posted
Here's some Sci-Fi books on my shelf:

These are just the ones on my top shelf and that I could find pictures for. Anyone got any suggestions for further reading material?

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How'd you do that? Those are great! And I like how you were able to arrange them into one image.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LordShen:
Anyone got any suggestions for further reading material?

Some suggestions:
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Time And Again by Jack Finney

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Ursula le Guin - THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS is an absolute classic. THE DISPOSESSED is also very good, and she has written many wonderful short stories.
She's perhaps best known for the EARTHSEA fanstasy series (also VERY good).

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One classic that comes up again and again is "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart. It is post-apocalyptic, but people can't resist a good survival story.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EARTH ABIDES is probably my favorite book. It's not really depressing. While there IS a great sense of loss conveyed, the feelings of hope and perseverance and faith overide all the dashed dreams. It's life-affirming.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Earth Abides" has been on my to-be-read list for over twenty years, thanks to the rave recommendations of others! It is one of the most frequently requested on forums where people send in plots of books to which they can't recall the titles or authors.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling: Thanx! But those aren't one image. They're actually each a separate image. I would have used html to provide links within each image so you could get linked right to the Barnes & Noble and Borders sites I got them from, but I'm not sure if that would be kosher on this site. I don't wanna be accused of spamming (not sure how I would be, but still: better safe than sorry).

philnic: Have yet to tackle any Sturgeon, but I've been meaning to. Perhaps I'll add More Than Human to my summer reading list! Smiler I read I Am Legend last year and I'm happy to hear it's getting some attention thanks to both the comics and the new movie. Let's just hope the new flick does the book justice. Matheson is definitely a 'thinking man's' novelist and movies sometimes are boring or just plain lax in that department.

oz-crumley: I've read the Earthsea books and loved 'em. Was ashamed of the Sci-Fi Channel's weak adaptation. I guess you can't win 'em all. The Left Hand of Darkness is ironically already on my summer reading list! Have you seen the movie version of Lathe of Heaven? Would you suggest it? The local library has it and they 'rent/loan' DVDs for free in these parts.

dandelion and grasstains: I can't believe I've never heard of Stewart nor Earth Abides. But, then, SF is a vast genre. I'll be sure to look for it.

I would also like to add these books presented here (from me) are just on the top shelf of the bookshelf to the right of my computer. And only the science fiction books. There's also some Bukowski, mags, Dickens, Cervantes, etc. on the same shelves. Out in the living room I have a bookshelf that has its own horror, science fiction and fantasy sections with books including: Halloween Tree, Illustrated Man, Masters of Horror, Dark Tower Books 1 & 2, Fat White Vampire Blues, Choose-Your-Own-Adventures, Alfred Hitchcock presents The Three Investigators... these are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

To check a rather comprehensive reading list of books I've tackled over the last four years you can check my site below, I have it all typed up and ready for perusal.

Any more suggestions? More are welcome!

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, finally. The Silver Surfer gets his day!
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantasticfourriseofthesilversurfer/

http://9.yahoo.com/ (for a trailor - click #4)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Silver Surfer. I hope they do justice to him. I fear the worst, but hope for the best.