Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
grasstains:

No, for real. There are other places in this world that do not go by the current calendar. It's been a good 10 years since I last read a short list of them. So I'd have to do a search for the name of those places. But I recall that 10 years ago an island area wrote all their vacation vouchers and bills as 1958. Not having to do with old left over printing, but they for some reason never kept up...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most Orthodox Christians are on the "Old Calendar", i.e. the Julian Calendar, having rejected Pope Gregory's "New" Calendar. So, today, Jan. 12 on the Gregorian/New/Civic calendar is Dec. 30 on the Julian/Old/Church calendar.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, that is one of the strangest things my feeble mind has ever encountered. I spent about 5 minutes just sitting here thinking about it. What a weird, wonderful planet we live on. Thank you.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, an island where it's always 1958! Now THERE'S story material for Ray!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
__

This link noted below is not for the purposes of making anyone crazy. Honestly! But goes to show how confusing calendar dating can be.

When I have the opportunity to search seriously in the upcoming week, maybe I can locate present day areas of the world that do not recognize 2006 as the current year.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*bump*

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goodnight, Maureen.

Maureen Stapleton (1925 � 2006)

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She was in a very moving (I thought) TV movie adaptation of Bradbury's "I Sing The Body Electric!" called "The Electric Grandmother". She had the lead role and was great! I got it at the local library just a month or so ago.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved that and am very sorry to hear of her passing.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, lotsa folks have confused her with Jean Stapleton (no relation) - she of "Edith Bunker" fame...

posted Hide Post
Interesting, Braling II. Here I had been going along thinking they were sisters. By the way, I loved everything about that version of �I Sing The Body Electric!�. Even the little tune she sang.

Boy! If Ray had never written that, look what we would have missed.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-14-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know. I actually got a little misty there at the end when she was singing. The bright child-like smiles on the kids now grown old sticks with me...

posted Hide Post
If I�ve got my facts right, Ray�s original version of �I Sing The Body Electric!� was a teleplay for the Twilight Zone and didn�t include the poignant ending that you refer to. Then Ray, wise old Ray, turned it into the short story we know today.

The history of �Fahrenheit 451� is similar. It evolved over the years from different tales. Two of which are �Bright Phoenix� and �The Firemen�. In �Bright Phoenix� I don�t believe there is any mention of Clarisse. In �The Firemen� Ray introduces her in a fashion similar to her introduction in F451, but bare bones compared to the final result in �Fahrenheit�. That version is just rich and wonderful and a brilliant example of rewriting at its best.

posted Hide Post
Heard that Sam Weller's dog died. Anyone know anything about this?

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is absolutely misc... and rather neglected... I say put something '''very miscellaneous''' here. So here it is: http://www.weird.tv/