Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I liked Sugar Pops, because �Sugar Pops are tops.� Ask Sugar Pops Pete.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 07-19-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One must have that little whistle on all the "S"s there...Who did the Sugar Pops Pete voice, I wonder? Sounds like Stan Freberg, maybe...

After a bowlful of Sugar Pops, Bucky Beaver reminds us to "Brusha, brusha, brusha!"
http://www.mouseranch.com/buckybeaver/BuckyBeaver.html

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just happened to recall, too, that Kellog's cereals are "The Best To You Each Morning" (k-e-double L,o-double good), and Post cereals are "Just A Little Bit Better".
Madison Avenue had some success imprinting some things on the ol' cortex.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy named Robert Loy wrote a short story a few years ago called "A Billboard Lovely As A Tree" which took place in the TV commercial product mascot world. It starred Poppin' Fresh (The Pillsbury Doughboy) trying to clear his name in a murder mystery. See, someone killed Speedy - The Alka-Seltzer tablet. Snap, Crackle, and Pop, The Quaker, The Scrubbing Bubbles, McGruff-The Crime Dog and too many others for me to remember all played roles (err... actually only the Doughboy played a roll) in the story. It also had Aunt Jemima in a bad marriage with the Quaker (I always thought she was meant to be with Uncle Ben, myself) and seeking solace in the arms of another, having a "hot and sticky affair" with Mrs. Butterworth.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 07-20-2006).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I recognised the Loy title's origin, and here it is:

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.
~Ogden Nash, "Song of the Open Road," 1933

posted Hide Post
I really like that.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ogden Nash rules.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just when you thought global warming and North Korea missles and Hezbollah were all there was to worry about, now THIS:

While waiting in line at the San Diego comic con, started talking to a fellow next to me and discovered this wonderful new thing to add to our list...maybe...maybe it belongs to the very top of the list, because it sures sounds...dangerous!!

The latest calculations by some of the most sophisticated measuring agencies in the world that do these type of things, have discovered that...light is slowing down.

Maybe just add that anywhere to the list, for now anyway. We really don't want to scare the kids!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mel Gibson probably deserves being listed in something other than a miscellaneous posting, but he doesn't deserve what's going to happen in the days and weeks ahead. He obviously flipped out for some reason and the press and world media is going to have an ugly ride over this.

What led up to the incident in Malibu, California, on Pacific Coast Highway?
Family problems? Heard his father is a arms-full with his radical and damaging ideas. Just what occured that evening? I don't know what's going on with my neighbor. Surely I don't know what happened there. However, get ready to hear Christian faith mocked over this. And, the Jews knocked. Gibson squeezed to death in the media vise?

Ray just must be shaking his head over this, considering his relationship with Gibson thru the years...

Mel Gibson's new movie: http://www.apocalypto.com

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-29-2006).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The latest calculations by some of the most sophisticated measuring agencies in the world that do these type of things, have discovered that...light is slowing down."

Oh come on now, Nard. You can't just leave it at that. You could at least give us an interesting, informative link for crying out loud. How I'm supposed to go to work fear-shouting without any doomsday facts?

posted Hide Post
You are right. I have to look into it. But from what I understand, the universe suddenly... was. Very interesting discovery in the news couple months ago about the most sophisticated studies coming up with that conclusion. The 'theory' is that right afterwards, light slowed down and is continuing to slow down.

I found THAT interesting since scripture talks about the universe being brought into existence in one immediate breath. So, is man endowed with an 'intuitive' knowledge of
his existence and universe? Yeah.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-30-2006).]

posted Hide Post
The other board isn�t letting me on just now so I�m going to post this here for now:

I was running low on milk so went up to the corner store to get some. Having time to think while driving, I reflected on the turmoil in the Middle East, mourning the all around tragedy. When I parked at the store there was a woman getting out of her car and smiling down at a lottery ticket and I assumed she had won something. She was a very young girl and it struck me that she hadn�t had a whole lot of opportunity to be a winner and that this might be the first time. I felt good for her.

The milk was on the shelf and I asked the normally ill-mannered clerk if the girl had won something and she said yes and I said how that was kind of nice and then she said, �I hope you have a really good day.�

When I went out to get into my car I noticed that the walk sign on the corner was on, traffic was frozen and that two boys were safely crossing the street and I thought, how we are blessed to live in a wonderfully free and safe nation and sometimes don�t fully realize just how full of grace our lives are.

I hope you have a really good day.

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31

Thanks! ...for that.

And, yes, what is it with the main board? Must be under the scruntiny of the board monster or something.

posted Hide Post
Different worlds.

I don't think we'll see the equivalent of "Mister Rogers' Neighbourhood" broadcast anywhere in the Middle East any time soon.

My wife's sister is married to an Israeli and our son is married to an Arab (Christian), so we get both sides. Suffice to say that our media does not give us the whole story.
Neither does theirs.

posted Hide Post
By the way, I got on the new board on the second attempt, but couldn't post anything. Then I couldn't get on again...