Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
� pterran �
I started the blog (my web design student fellow somehow managed to get me the blog)...but I haven't blogged anything because I'm been busy trying to keep my head above waters. Maybe this upcoming month may be better.

I plan to get to LA end of this next month (October)...and most certainly stop in to see Ray...if he's up to answering the front door. On Nov. 7th, there is a big 'prayer' breakfast in Beverly Hills, Mc'd by Pat Boone. Lots of people in the movie and entertainment industry will be there. I got a free ticket to go, and since I'm there in LA anyway, it'll be great. Starts at around 7 or 8 am (at breakfast time, of course.). One of the Baldwin brothers got zapped by the Lord and is out bewildering his family with his Christian behavior. I hope he turns up there. And if Mel Gibson turns up, I certainly will want to get a word in edgewise to him about what has happened with the Bradbury project gone silent.

Get this!::
... happened this week, and is connected with a funeral way back in 1992. At that time, I attended the funeral of Hal Roach, the movie producer who put Laurel and Hardy together, and founded the original Our Gang series. At the funeral was Spanky, as well as Tom Bond, who played the tough kid. Well, the tough kid, Butch (Tom Bond) died last week, and as I was eating breakfast and reading the 'Chicago Sun-Times' newspaper, I come to the obituary section and nearly fell off my chair. There...half page wide, is this picture of Tom Bond (Butch)...laughing, and in the background, right next to him, is... 'me'!! The photo, taken at the Roach funeral, happen to include my wanderings about on that particular hour, on that particular day, back in 1992. It was a strange experience, to see something like that out of the clear blue. And being an AP photo, it was published everywhere! How strange is THAT!? See: http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/photo/050926/482/ny11109260057

� Braling II �
My neigborhood in Chicago has changed to nearly 95% hispanic, and being mostly Catholic with large families, everybody uses a porch if they got one. I have not sat in on one of these gatherings to hear what is being said, but there are a lot of children attending these concerts, and maybe a gifted few will have a lot to write about in some future time...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 09-29-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
How cool is that?
From what I've read or heard of him, Hal Roach seems to have been a nice guy. Wasn't he in his late 90s when he died? Hope the fires have died down when you're in L.A.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Bradbury is noted as an actor in an old (1932) John Wayne mystery. Yes! Mystery!

"The Shadow of the Eagle"

Bradbury here is a ventriloquist at a carnival. Got the 2-set DVD at a raffle at a local organization this weekend.

(Also Note
Interesting bio. He was a son of another famous actor, also James Bradbury. And check out the date when BOTH Bradburys arrived in Hollywood. 1920! Now what other Bradbury do we know born on that year?

click on: http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=7901

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-04-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

And the name of your blog is. . .?

Checked out the picture. Yep, that's good ol' Nard in the background. Incredible. Thanks for the link. And thanks for the interesting Hollywood information. What a coincidence, eh?

By the way, I'm aware of the Christian Baldwin brother. I was astonished to learn he was the one in The Usual Suspects. Quite a change.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete:
I can't figure how to get back to my blog. I emailed the fellow who set it up..but being in college, he's busy, etc etc etc./...and has somewhat disappeared. So once I figure it out I'll let you know..
_

Spent some time with Bradbury couple weeks ago when in LA. He has trouble with his legs, and tho he uses a walker, sometimes needs a bit of help to get his legs into the car. He is NOT watching exactly what he should eat...and is gaining a bit of weight... but like Bradbury friend and collector, Donn Albright has said, he's 85 and can do what he wants to the pain of those watching...

But Ray is very active, and relies on Patrick his driver to get him around everywhere. And that's a lot fo going around, believe me...

In the meanwhile
Happy Thanksgiving!!

posted Hide Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all at Bradbury message boards great and small!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgive my saying so, but we are absolutely brilliant: http://www.libertytheater.org/SOM.htm

Not all performances are sold out yet. If you live within an hour's drive of Dayton, Washington, this is well worth seeing!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OhMiGosh!!
Two Thousand Six
is on the Horizon!!!

Ray will be 86 in 2006!!

posted Hide Post
I wrote some checks today, and sure enough I put 2005.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean it's not December 33rd?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, you Guys!

I don't think it's really 2006.

I read them 'Popular Science' and 'Mechanix Illustrated' magazines years back and they said 2006 would have people flying around in jet packs and cars whizzing around in the air. Also, I saw an old Bugs Bunny cartoon...again years back, mind you...and they said 2000 would be a lot like them old science fiction covers. People walking around everywhere with space helemts and everything. So I know this isn't any of them years. As to exactly what year it is, I'd say it's something close to where I've been and where I'm going.

And by the way, it's different years in certain other countries anyway! There is one island somewheres I heard it's only 1959. And some countries don't even celebrate the new year for weeks, others for months. So there! Whose to say what they heck year it is? Well, if you are of the Jewish persuasion, it's somewheres around 5761 thereabouts!

You know, I have this old calendar in the garage somewheres...one I never got aorund to hanging upon the wall. I think I'll dig that one out and use it for once. What the heck. It must still be good. I know the pages for the months are all there .

posted Hide Post
Does anybody really know what year it is?
Does anybody really care?
If so, I can't imagine why
'Cause I have time enough to fly....

posted Hide Post
Ah, yes...Chicago Transit Authority...
I always felt sorry for the poor guy in this song who merely asked what time it was and got a whole quasi-philosophical song in response!

posted Hide Post
The antithesis might be:

TAKIN' CARE OF BUSINESS
Bachman-Turner Overdrive

You get up every morning
From your alarm clock's warning
Take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above
And people pushin', people shovin'
And the girls who try to look pretty
And if your train's on time
You can get to work by nine
And start your slaving job to get your pay
If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed

I love to work at nothing all day
And I'll be...
Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way

If it were easy as fishin'
You could be a musician
If you could make sounds loud or mellow
Get a second-hand guitar
Chances are you'll go far
If you get in with the right bunch of fellows
People see you having fun
Just a-lying in the sun
Tell them that you like it this way
It's the work that we avoid
And we're all self-employed
We love to work at nothing all day
And we be...

Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard writes: "And by the way, it's different years in certain other countries anyway!"

That's the idea in the SF novel OCTOBER THE FIRST IS TOO LATE by Fred Hoyle. Pretty weird when the sound of mortar fire from the muddy trenches of the WWI battlegrounds in France can be heard all the way in 1966 England. You might remember Hoyle as the scientist who tried (with brief success) to get his "Hoyle Theory" accepted by the scientific community in the 1960s. The theory had nothing to do with timelines running amok, however.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post