Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Happy Samhain!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really Happy Hallowe'en now!

In celebration, I'm off to visit my two favourite Great Pumpkins, RB and FJA!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what a wonderful Hallowe'en it was - first we had a short but pleasant visit with our own beloved Mr B, then went to the Wolf-Burger (how appropriate) and enjoyed a nice lunch with the engaging jkt, then we went to South Pasadena and took some photos, video, and actually recreated some shots from John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) on the actual streets, at the actual homes featured in the picture - a film geek's dream!

The it was off to Los Feliz to visit Forry Ackerman. With no tricks to offer, we handed over some homemade treats of the chocolate variety for him to enjoy, and gave the news that his old friend Ray Bradbury wants him to come to Dandelion Wine at its close and have the evening's performance dedicated to him! Forry was happy to accept, inasmuch as his health holds up.

Looking forryward!

Oh, and then we went to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights to be properly frightened.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sounds wonderful!
I played at a wine bar in Capitola Village. Lots of folks in costume; but in Santa Cruz, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...but in Santa Cruz, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes!

Fun!

Santa Cruz sounds like a nice place - kind of like Hollywood.

I believe the vampire film The Lost Boys was filmed here, no?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
...but in Santa Cruz, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes!

Intrigued, I read up on Santa Cruz, and discovered it to be my kind of town, and George Clayton Johnson's! To wit:

As a center of liberal and progressive activism, Santa Cruz became one of the first cities in California to test the state's medical marijuana laws in court after the arrest of several medical marijuana proponents by the DEA. The case was ruled in favor of the growers. In 2005, the Santa Cruz City Council established a "city government office" to assist residents with obtaining medical marijuana. In 2006, Measure K was passed by voters, making marijuana enforcement "lowest priority" for law enforcement.

In 2003, the Santa Cruz City Council became the first City Council in America to officially "denounce the Iraq War."

The Diversity Center is a non-profit organization organized in 1989 as the Santa Cruz Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Community Center, Inc. and has served as Santa Cruz County's primary LGBT service agency ever since. The name "The Diversity Center" was adopted in the fall of 1999. The Diversity Center maintains a drop-in space, lending library, and numerous social and support groups. Since 1990, the Diversity Center has been the producer of the Santa Cruz LGBT Pride March and Rally, an annual event that draws thousands of people to downtown Santa Cruz each June. Before 1990, Santa Cruz LGBT Pride, which began in 1975, was produced by the Freedom Foundation.

Founded in 1976, The Resource Center for Nonviolence is one the oldest and most centrally located non-profit organizations committed to political and social activism in Santa Cruz County. The center is "dedicated to promoting the principles of nonviolent social change and enhancing the quality of life and human dignity".

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's always Hallowe'en in Santa Cruz.
A once quiet seaside fishing community founded by Italians and Scotts, which became, after the University was founded in the '60s, a lovely place where any idiot can survive comfortably off the taxes of others, and there's open-armed tolerance for everyone! (except monogamous Christian males, of course!)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
And what a wonderful Hallowe'en it was...

Some photos.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
What are the bronze (?) masks? Death (or life?) masks of horror film stars maybe? And is that a cast of Karloff as the Monster taken from life?
Interesting!
Forry's feet look good, by the way.

posted Hide Post
Per your Santa Cruz return, BrII ~ Yep. "The Voice of One Crying in the Wilderness!"

Doug S, the time and exchanges you share with Misters A & B are to be commended by us, and are, without a doubt, treasured by you! To have someone consistently share their love for what they do and recognize who they are is a special gift in this "busy-what's in it for me society!"

Your willingness to listen and offer assistance (no matter what extent) mean a great deal to these gentlemen who live life as we can only hope to humbly emulate.

The photos you post, as least from my perspective, reflect your sincere efforts to keep the sparks flying! More?!

[Also, if you see RB in the coming days, inform him the stuff he forwarded to the hs kids in this remote NNY area was received and has really made our All-Hallows week!! We will be viewing his gift of "RB: Am. Icon" soon, as a major F451 unit is introduced.]
Thanks.
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are the bronze (?) masks? Death (or life?) masks of horror film stars maybe? And is that a cast of Karloff as the Monster taken from life?
Interesting!
Forry's feet look good, by the way.

1. Those are life-masks of horror stars, yes.

2. You mean the bronze bust? That's of Forry, with the forehead made to resemble the monster. I believe that was made by Casey Wong, whose photo you can see here.

We were there that day, by the way - the day that photo was taken of Casey and Curtis Armstrong. In fact, I had just taken one of Casey, 4E and I. I see I didn't make it onto the website, however, but I digress.

3. I was thinking the same thing - his feet look very healthy!

Let me just say also that he appeared to be doing much better than last time I saw him (about a month ago), and he was looking great then! He's leaps and bounds better than when we saw him right after the hip surgery last March - much improved!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Frank, your words are kind and reflect the facts.

I think it's awful swell of these guys to take the time to give me the time of day.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks a lot for posting the link. Gilbert Gottfried! Wow! I have always enjoyed him and to see him visiting Forest.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post