Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
biplane1, Accepted.
Now what's this about the Bethlehem star? Sound nit-picky(sigh). But when I hear something that I know isn't in the book, what do you say? Figure this: the dinosaur didn't bring down a lighthouse at the end of the story, The Foghorn, but, instead, the lighthouse fell on the dinosaur and knocked the poor creature out cold. NOT!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a scientist's take on the star: http://sciastro.net/portia/articles/thestar.htm

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case you think the laptop is too big a computer, this one is for YOU! (Don't you just love that radical keyboard!)

http://www.filecabinet.com

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
41-14!

Go Gators!!!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Knox: Wild wild wild and craaazy computer stuff!!!

dandelion:
That fourth item, about the New Testament is possibly falsely written is nonsense, and with that care not whatever else the person had to say. Obviously, they never read the New Testament, let alone understand any of it. The New Testament writes about things so alarmingly beyond what anyone could possibly ever come up with in their own human imagination, that to say it was written to split the Jews from the Romans is like saying...oh, that strange Mr. Henry Ford guy was known to fiddle with some odd objects in a house he stayed in and didn't really do all that much with his little ventures into trying to cook- up something practical to make his life meaningful.(DUH!) It really is THAT distinctly idiotic.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, many scholars have pointed out that, unlike other "scriptures' purporting to describe the lives of other religion's founders and their history; it's the fact that the Bible uniquely includes the failings of Its heroes (David's adultery, Peter's denial, etc.) that gives It verity.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, and I thought the "smart phone" was something--and that keyboard might be easier to use!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Christine and Malcolm were pleasantly surprised Tuesday around 4 p.m. (is this cryptic enough fo everybody?)

jkt@earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me guess: they gave birth to a small blue pyramid.

posted Hide Post
dandelion: No blue pyramids. Christine and Malcolm stopped by at Ray's while I was there. Actually, Ray forgot I was coming on over. But...

Thanks, Christine and Malcolm. Your visit there was actually a blessing I didn't really grab hold of. I'm always pinned in this little window of opportunity with Ray, and together the presence of you guys should have put me at ease. But I'm like 'programmed'. A slap on the head maybe would have said, sit down and relax. Take it easy. Stay awhile.

==============

(Miscellaneous)
On another note, I was thinking:
Those Bradbury moments, those intuitive moments while looking at a masterpiece, listening to a moment of Mozart or Gershwin, or Ravel, or that moment in an opera that is so memorable.... I think ultimately, there may come a time when that's all there will be. Life lived with those constant moments, being all there is in every aspect of everything. What sort of world would that be? It would be nothing like here, for sure... Is this something like what they talk about when heaven is mentioned...? What would it be where a person's character transforms everything around them by this constant outflow of these masterful moments, entwined in their words, entwined in everyday common actions...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

I agree with those cherishing moments. Working alongside Mr. B., at booksignings, are moments that I cherish, deeply. I pay attention to every word spoken, every gesture. Every laugh is a symphony.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scripture does say that it hasn't even entered into the heart or mind what God has prepared for those who love him. Nard, even tho we think the most complicated and masterful ways of explaining the perfect existence, it will always fall far short in what truly is. Also, worship of the created object or person, versus worship of God, is a sticky point for many. You can't see beyond the person, if you are stuck looking only at the object itself. Bradbury is an idol to many, and his influence has been and will be undeniably wide. Not saying don't enjoy the vastly creative efforts of the man, enjoy that, but look beyond the man to man's Creator with genuine worship.

posted Hide Post
You know what a favourite game of mine is?

I pick a word I like and I look for it in a Thesaurus and I look for words or terms i've never heard used before... or that sound cooler.. and I write them down in my little note book. IE: linen. New term? Dust ruffle!

....I have no friends. Please dont tell people how I live.

That was also relevant to nothing.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Word games are good - anything that gets you thinking of new words. Perhaps we could play your little game here in Ruled Paper now and again. I'll name a word, and someone else can post another, less-used word with the same meaning, then that person will go, eh?

It is very relevant to this thread because this is Ruled Paper - you're supposed to write the other way!

You have plenty of friends, by the way. We're all here.

In which country are you marooned? I ask because you spell favourite in the British way.

My word: phraseology

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Knox: That's a tough one. Seeing beyond the person can be disarming. But I agree. You must!