Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Braling II: Thanks, for the note on Arius. It's the easy way to knock Christ down a few notches. Accepting Him as God means we have to knock ourselves down an innumerable amount of many notches... so He can lift us up!

Thank God that he made it so that you and me, Braling II, grow old and quit this worn out cloth of a world. And this worn old coat of a body. When I peer unashamedly into the face of Christ, my sin nailed on the cross and my sin buried in His tomb, the realization for that splinter of a moment of God showing what's up ahead makes me thrill in the wonder.

When you re-consider the world and all its evil, its death, its decay, its hate, you know it'll never end unless God ends it. You know, I know, human effort, in every imaginable context, is impotent. It was made that way so we understand who is God and what is love, and what is freedom and what it costs.

Everything else isn't worth much...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a wonderful thing today. While making a quick visit to Mr. B's house today he had something very white hanging on the back of a chair in his study. So white it was almost blinding. What was this thing I saw? THE Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. Not only was this the suit from the movie it was signed by the full cast and crew. A lovely piece of movie memorabilia.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, surely that was A wonderful ice cream suit - in his introductory notes to the play, Mr B wrote that anyone staging TWICS will need more than one white suit (to accommodate quick changes; to ensure a good fit for all cast members; and to ease the laundering practicalities)!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
John, surely that was A wonderful ice cream suit - in his introductory notes to the play, Mr B wrote that anyone staging TWICS will need more than one white suit (to accommodate quick changes; to ensure a good fit for all cast members; and to ease the laundering practicalities)!

Phil,

Ray called it THE suit, to me that is the definitive answer. Smiler

Yes, there are usually many changes of clothing for movies. This is the one given to Ray by the cast and crew.

We have a store in Burbank, CA called It's A Wrap. When a TV show or movie shuts down they buy and resell the duplicate sets of clothing purchased by the production.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And
then
there
is
THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM "SUIT"
that
appeared in the really very well done Movie version!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://content.a...0%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MUCH MORE
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://khoobsura...3DNolor][color:BLUE]
MISCELLANEOUS

Ah, now (Yesterday) they (American astronomers at that big eye in the sky telescope in Hawaii)...say they now see even further to the beginning of the BIGBANG...also known as the highly local BIGBANG. (Isn't this BIGBANG stuff been going on forever in the universe?)

I love those few University of Chicago physics students (I have an old newspaper clipping with their photos and names somewheres, probably storage in Chicago, alas!)...that came out a few years ago and said it is possible that the BIGBANG is simply a ""local"" event. Yes!! Love it!!!

We don't know why dogs seem human at times, or ants respond to human interaction (other than some stupid chemical reaction to those mesmerizing facts and figures!)...and we think we know what the heck is going on just on the other side of the moon? Come one. If we had an inkling of what was happening outside there in the depths of space and the realms of stars, we would immediately fall down in awe and hardly be able to get up again in fear of our disfunctional responsibility.

What disfunctional disability? We created a picture of outer space via Star Wars and Space Rangers and a dozen other gothic novel descriptions that are likely 100 million light years from reality. My take is that what is strewn all across the endless heavens of our creation does not even begin to penetrate the imagination of mortal man.

What does a place look like that contains no time, where time can be a superflous ingredient? (Thank you, Mr. Einstein!)

Or what do you do where there is a God who only recognizes his own character?

What do you do where intelligent beings are absolutely moral (more, according the defining definition of Mr. Webster and his ilk) and know no other thing?

And then, I listened to Michael Moore on the Healthcare system in the US.

That's a whole lot of 'nother posting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

posted Hide Post
Nard - You Sicko, you! I saw the movie and was trememdously aggitated / discusted by the facts as presented. If true, we are not the best place to live in, and Canada is starting to look a whole lot better. I love Vancouver Island. Who knows?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask:

Calm down! Take a pill!!
Keep your blood pressure down.
AND...your hackles! Upsettingness will not be covered by hospitalization insurance!

I'm actually geting interested in this fellow Moore hated much by Mr. Bradbury. He has a lot of gall! He has a lot of that incredible bull-headed force that, right or wrong, gets attention, and hopefully, more right than wrong.

I'll listen to what he has to say here about the health care business! Personally, I think it is A CRIME that this is a business that it is motivated by income and profit!! THIS IS NOT a place for be motivated by making money. This is why, a few years ago, there was this big discussion why so many doctors had NO emotional response to many of their patients. It was all just business!

THIS IS in itself A CRIME!

THIS is NOT what life is about!

You want to save souls, do not look for profit. Look for support, and that is biblical. But in the health care field, look to save a person's dying body and help in repairing WITHOUT MIND TO PROFIT.

Okay, Moore, I'm listening!
Bring it ON!

posted Hide Post
Didn't see the film, but heard the "confession" on the radio by the woman about advancing her career by signing over 1,000 death warrants. Shades of Nazi Germany!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw MM on Larry King couple of weeks ago, and was fascinated by what I saw.

This is a film I am very much looking forryward to seeing. America is so far behind the times on so many issues it's embarrassing! Southern France has always looked particularly Nice to me.

I have been listening to Moore for years. Why? Because he says all the right things and is not afraid to say them!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of us say the right things and aren't afraid to say them and still have to really work for a living!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not but what the heck. I have an extra copy of the Eaton Press edition of Dandelion Wine. The only reason the shrinkwrap has been removed is to have Mr. B sign it. If anybody would like to trade me a copy of an unsigned edition of any of the other Eaton Press editions please email me. F451 preferred but I'll entertain any swaps. No money to exchange hands.

jkt@earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Why is it okay for everyone revealing the activities of America's hidden secrets in war manuevers and enemy tactics, to protect America from attack, but no one is allowed to give out the ending to Harry Potter?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said, PK!
A rhetorical question, I assume, but to answer: panis et circenses, as, I believe, Juvenal put it.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, and now Disney steps in. They say that they will not allow smoking by any of the actors in their upcoming family oriented movies. Oh, that'll help I'm sure. While half of the last 2 generations have become sex addicts, or action junkies (all figuratively speaking), and other some such thanks much to the flickers, old Bob Iger at Disney has a plan. But he stresses this plan will not be a precedent for any other issues. (Oh, gee, some of those in the sex industry were beginning to hear their knees knocking.)

This is by far the most stupid thing I have heard come out of Hollywood. Disney doesn't even really address their other film companies, Touchstone and Miramax other than to say they will likely post a smoking sign warning before the movie.

Bring on the sex scenes and the violence, but please, no smoking at any time.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post