Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray's Private Papers

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Private Papers
 Login/Join

posted
I was curious if any of you might know to whom Ray plans to donate his private collection of documents and if they plan to make these available for research purposes?

I understand that I am approaching a touchy subject and apologies if I offend anyone with the question.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 20 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColonelFreeleighExpress:
I was curious if any of you might know to whom Ray plans to donate his private collection of documents and if they plan to make these available for research purposes?

I should imagine Indiana University, as the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies is there.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Center for Ray Bradbury Studies already has a substantial collection of such papers which is accessible to researchers. Information here:

www.iupui.edu/~crbs

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another huge collection of Ray's work is located at Bowling Green State University, in Bowling Green, Ohio (not that far from Toledo). Part of the University's Center for Archival Collections, it consists primarily of William F. Nolan's personal collection, which he donated after serving as an instructor at the University.

http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/l...ac/ms/page44699.html

Posts: 2462 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And a third deposit of Ray's manuscripts is held at UCLA. If I remember correctly, this set is from the 1950s.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my question comes from being a KU instructor as we have, supposedly, the largest research institute for science fiction literature in the country. Although I am in the french literature department and have had limited work at the science fiction research center, it is supposedly a substantial collection. We also offer specialized studies in science fiction literature.

posted Hide Post
The KU collection is supposed to be one of the biggest and the best (for those who don't know, their website is here:http://www2.ku.edu/~sfcenter/index.html). I haven't visited physically, but I find the online resources useful.

UC Riverside also claims to have one of the largest collections, the J.Lloyd Eaton collection (http://eaton-collection.ucr.edu/). I've been to that one, and it's pretty extensive.

In the UK, we have the SF Foundation Collection, which is held at the University of Liverpool. (http://www.sfhub.ac.uk/) Another one I've been to... because I am affiliated with said university.

Since Bradbury is one of the few living writers to have had a research center named after him, I personally would hope that it will continue to be THE place to go to study his writings, but researchers will always find the need to move from place to place.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I understand the priority of the center named after him. I just think it would be great to have some of his work represented in the center at KU.

posted Hide Post
Hey CFE...

Saw That your in the French Literature Department at KU.
My god man the French turned out many many good authors, but probaly the most famous is Jules Verne(for science fiction). You could devote a lifetime on just Verne alone.

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 10 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know offhand what happened to the vast amount of material Ray amassed while interviewing the astronauts for his 1967 Life magazine piece?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IUPUI has officially announced that Bradbury's manuscripts are going to the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies. I have know about this for a long time, but didn't want to say anything until it was officially announced.

Eventually, it will be possible to view a reconstruction of Ray's office (complete with original furniture!) in the Center for RB Studies!

http://liberalarts.iupui.edu/n...ngs_authors_legacy_/

- Phil

posted Hide Post
W O N D E R F U L !

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer sojourns to Illinois and Indiana are now in line. These are amazing donations that are difficult to fathom!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just discovered that the old link above, to the large William F. Nolan collection of Ray Bradbury related items held by Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio, no longer works. I am therefore resurrecting this topic, and including the current working link below. (The old link is included in another topic on this Board, and I will update that topic as well.) In describing the Nolan collection, Bowling Green University also mentions the even larger collection held by the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies at Indiana University.

https://lib.bgsu.edu/finding_aids/items/show/916

Posts: 2462 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post