Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Guanajuato Mummies Coming to Chicago!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guanajuato Mummies Coming to Chicago!
 Login/Join

posted
For anyone who lives near or can travel to Chicago, here is a very, very rare chance to see outside of Mexico the famous mummies which inspired the brilliant Bradbury story "The Next in Line."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=40550

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Watched' the film Hotel Rwanda for the first time last night. In Rwanda, buildings now house hundreds of bodies of the nearly 1 million that were killed in genocide in Rwanda. Having lime poured on many of the bodies, they turned white. Unlike the Mexican dead, who are clothed and sometimes decorated with linens and hats, for tourists to fix their attention on, these are not. These are a disturbing reminder when the world turns its back on a country that only offers tea and coffee as exports? That's the question the movie posed. Such contrasting emotions ... when viewing the dead!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
For anyone who lives near or can travel to Chicago, here is a very, very rare chance to see outside of Mexico the famous mummies which inspired the brilliant Bradbury story "The Next in Line."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=40550

I gotta say even with my having the coffee-table-picture-book of the mummies with Ray's commentary I cannot get myself to open the book.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Will you be in town this weekend for Frost and Fire?

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, John, it is unlikely I will be able to make it out to Glendale this weekend to see FROST AND FIRE. I hope that you (and others in the Los Angeles area) enjoy the play, and that you give all of us who are unable to attend a full report!

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Unfortunately, John, it is unlikely I will be able to make it out to Glendale this weekend to see FROST AND FIRE. I hope that you (and others in the Los Angeles area) enjoy the play, and that you give all of us who are unable to attend a full report!

I will volunteer Doug Spaulding to do the YouTube/picture honors for the forum. Gosh, if you could have made it you'd have been able to walk 100 yards to pick up the rest of your books, too. There you go, you have to attend so you can kill two birds with one stone. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Just hope the mummies go on tour to a city near me!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I will volunteer Doug Spaulding to do the YouTube/picture honors for the forum.

I don't think my DP will be able to attend!

But we will try to take some still photos.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Your montage stills are so well done they look like videos.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Your montage stills are so well done they look like videos.

Thanks, but you can praise the yellow frog for that!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Batrachiolatry?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not?

I am unfamiliar with this term, but I speak of the yellow frog of imageshack.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding,
I think that's some sort of obscure froggy term; other than that, it's most likely a Braling II made-up word to explain away the difficult things needing explaining. No? Oh,thanks for the imageshack link. Maybe I'll use that.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Batrachians include frogs and toads. Combining that with idolatry, I coined a 'portmanteau' word inspired by Doug's phrase "...praise the yellow frog...".
Just how the old BrII brain works sometimes.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post